Menu

Recs for short, fluffy, light fiction

wonderchica

I’m looking for short, light hearted books to share with a female friend (late 50s) who is doing some heavy elder-care right now. I’d prefer something with zero themes/plots about death or illness. Oh, and clean- romance is fine, but no smut. Perusing my bookshelves reveals a lot of death, dystopia and sex lol. I need some help!

Jeeves and Wooster books

"The Other Side of the Dale" by Gervaise Phinn - it's a bit like James Herriot only he's a school inspector in Dales.  It's a memoir.

Jasper Fforde's books: Thursday Next series or the Nursery Crime series.   They're unusual, but light and fun.

• Like 1

I don’t know, know the author IRL, but I’ve interacted with her a time or two on a message forum and she’s pretty cool. ;)

I read her first book which was a good and lighthearted feel good escape into another world for a while - I didn’t realize there were so many more books already!

Anyway, she doesn’t do smut. You could probably double check with her about death in any of the books.

Here’s the works of our very own ktgrok:

http://www.katiemeyer.net/p/homepage.html?m=1

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 5

I’m looking for short, light hearted books to share with a female friend (late 50s) who is doing some heavy elder-care right now. I’d prefer something with zero themes/plots about death or illness. Oh, and clean- romance is fine, but no smut. Perusing my bookshelves reveals a lot of death, dystopia and sex lol. I need some help!

The Harlequin "Heartwarming" line is clean romance, zero sex. Fairly short as well. 

I don’t know, know the author IRL, but I’ve interacted with her a time or two on a message forum and she’s pretty cool. ;)

I read her first book which was a good and lighthearted feel good escape into another world for a while - I didn’t realize there were so many more books already!

Anyway, she doesn’t do smut. You could probably double check with her about death in any of the books.

Here’s the works of our very own ktgrok:

http://www.katiemeyer.net/p/homepage.html?m=1

AWWW, thank you :)

No deaths, although there is some PTSD touched on in A Wedding Worth Waiting for. 

• Like 1

As I am with most book related threads, I appreciate this me very much! I’ve downloaded several samples t take a look at. I wonder what these threads do to Amazons carefully calibrated matix? It might be kind of cool to see.

Forgot the link for the Heartwarming books. I don't write for this line, but enjoy it. (I actually am considering writing for them, but the books are slightly longer than the line I write for and not sure I want to up my word count)

You've got to have heart…. Harlequin Heartwarming celebrates wholesome, heartfelt relationships imbued with the traditional values so important to you: home, family, community and love.

Four new Harlequin Heartwarming titles are available each month!https://www.harlequin.com/shop/brand/harlequin-heartwarming.html

I was going to recommend the Mrs. Pollifax series and the #1 Ladies Detective series too!  They are both fantastic.  (They're mysteries, but light-hearted and with humor.  The #1 Ladies Detective series has some more poignant events.)

Jana DeLeon Miss Fortune series. (must read in order)

Super funny murder mystery. Murder is NOT graphic. But the funny adventures of the 2 old ladies and 1 young one is hilarious!

I just finished the taxes, and was looking for something light and fun!  And the first book in the series seems to be free right now!

https://smile.amazon.com/Louisiana-Longshot-Miss-Fortune-Mystery-ebook/dp/B008E9VENQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520189653&sr=8-2&keywords=miss+fortune+mystery+series