Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - March 2018

Granny_Weatherwax

I'll be taking a couple of involuntary rest days in order to recover from a silly fall. Don't try this at home! I wanted to take a short-cut to the grocery store, so I tried to climb over our back fence/wall by climbing a short tree. I got one leg up on the wall while one leg was still standing on a tree limb. My supporting leg slipped off the tree and I did the splits in air, and landed on the ground. I'm VERY fortunate that I only pulled some muscles in the hip area. Somewhere in the action, I did manage to bang my head, but no concussion, thank goodness.

My dd had a famous comment to my dh, "How old does mom think she is?" default_girl_wacko.gif  In my mind, I'm the invincible viking. Not so invincible, it seems.

On a positive note, I can check "do the splits" off my bucket list! I don't need to do them twice, though.  :laugh:

• Like 6

I'll be taking a couple of involuntary rest days in order to recover from a silly fall. Don't try this at home! I wanted to take a short-cut to the grocery store, so I tried to climb over our back fence/wall by climbing a short tree. I got one leg up on the wall while one leg was still standing on a tree limb. My supporting leg slipped off the tree and I did the splits in air, and landed on the ground. I'm VERY fortunate that I only pulled some muscles in the hip area. Somewhere in the action, I did manage to bang my head, but no concussion, thank goodness.

My dd had a famous comment to my dh, "How old does mom think she is?" default_girl_wacko.gif  In my mind, I'm the invincible viking. Not so invincible, it seems.

On a positive note, I can check "do the splits" off my bucket list! I don't need to do them twice, though.  :laugh:

Oh, my goodness!!!! Girl, you are lucky! Hope a few days off and your back to normal.

• Like 2

I would say around 13 :) And doing splits once is definitely enough. Glad you are not hurt more than that!

Soror ~ Glad your energy levels are good! And it's great that you workout with your mom. I wish I could convince mine to do more than just walking. I mean, I am glad that she moves and she does walk a lot, but I feel like she needs at least some strength training.

I am so hoping for a shorter cycle this time. Never thought I would say that, but two weeks of PMS is just too much. And to stay on topic, I did fence yesterday, and I hope to fence tonight. I may add something at home.

• Like 3

I love my dh as training partner, but sometimes itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not so helpful. No run Friday or Sunday because of reasons. I love the guy and he totally needed the rest. Me....not so much.

Keeping on, regardless, day one of half marathon training is in the books with just over four miles. I told dh that fine, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d agree to no run on Sunday, but runner me will be back starting today and he can skip workouts all he wants, but runner me faithfully follows all training plans cuz I got goals that wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be met hanging around doing nothing. ;)

wintermom - ouch!

Oh, and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m in the Ă¢â‚¬Å“wear what you wantsĂ¢â‚¬ camp regardless of age. Rock that bikini if thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s what you want! :D

• Like 4

Energy wise I'm feeling great but my period is due this weekend and that will knock me down a bit.

I really want to weigh but I'm trying to hold out, I'm really hoping that by the time I weigh again I'll be past my sticky point.

So I've been weighing myself almost everyday since getting our new spiffy digital scale at the beginning of the year. I now know that my weight is up by a pound plus or minus a bit during my cycle. I can drop a pound and a half from the last day of my cycle to a day or two later. I think it's bloating. But anyway, if you want to hold out and see a loss, I would wait until 2 days after your cycle.

• Like 4

Sounds like an epic fall! I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. 

• Like 3

Oh dear!  Glad you weren't seriously hurt! 

• Like 3

I got back at 11:30 pm Sunday night from a week of no formal exercise, but lots of work involved in helping my Dad get ready to move. Can I just say how much Alzheimer's stinks? Anyway, I managed somehow not to gain weight despite large dinners every night and chips at lunch every day. I was too mentally/emotionally worn down to resist. 

Took yesterday off. I was exhausted, DST, and there was "wintry weather" which precluded outdoor exercise or driving to the gym, so I sat in front of the fire and worked on learning German! 

Today, I just got back from 75 min walk with 30 min of embedded jogging. I needed longer recovery periods between the jogging intervals, so that extended the time some.  Later on tonight, I plan to head to the gym to do strength training. 

I may have to head back up to my Dad's this weekend. (It's an 8 hour drive) so I need to make sure that I've gotten in 2 strength-training workouts by Thur and 3 cardio sessions. 

• Like 5

Gah, stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Did I mention my sleep was total crap last night.

Woke at 1 to go pee and cracked my head on the door.

Telemarketer call at 3 freaked out both dh and I and it took hours to go back to sleep. 

I just did my bench press and squat tonight and it took me FOREVER!! but my reps increased and the lifts felt good.

Wine tonight and early bedtime, I'm going to crash.

So I've been weighing myself almost everyday since getting our new spiffy digital scale at the beginning of the year. I now know that my weight is up by a pound plus or minus a bit during my cycle. I can drop a pound and a half from the last day of my cycle to a day or two later. I think it's bloating. But anyway, if you want to hold out and see a loss, I would wait until 2 days after your cycle.

My plan is to wait until the end of the month which should put me past ovulation which seems to be a good time for me, we'll see if my resolve holds. Regardless of the scale, I'm smaller and in better shape, so it is a win.

• Like 5

Gah, stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Did I mention my sleep was total crap last night.

Woke at 1 to go pee and cracked my head on the door. Ouch! 

Telemarketer call at 3 freaked out both dh and I and it took hours to go back to sleep. WHaaaaaaat?  :svengo: 

I just did my bench press and squat tonight and it took me FOREVER!! but my reps increased and the lifts felt good.

Wine tonight and early bedtime, I'm going to crash.

My plan is to wait until the end of the month which should put me past ovulation which seems to be a good time for me, we'll see if my resolve holds. Regardless of the scale, I'm smaller and in better shape, so it is a win.

Good for you for getting in something today after last night. Ugh. 

• Like 2

I did actually go to the gym and did 2 sets of reps on two machines for lower body and two for upper body. After being away all week last week, my chest press had lost strength. Assisted chin  up got a little better, and legs stayed steady.  I did lower body stretches at the gym. Too tired to do the rest of them now that I'm home. 

• Like 4

Wintermom- I hope you're feeling better.

I went to the Y yesterday and did a 5K on the treadmill. I thought it would be okay since I have been able to wear a regular shoe for a couple of days. I did all right. I had a time of 32' 15" which is only 2 minutes slower than what I ran two days before my fall. My foot didn't hurt at all while running but is a tad sore today and my leg tingles just a wee bit. No swelling and no new bruising. I'm going to try again this afternoon and see what happens two days in a row. Treadmill running movements are much different than those in tennis and I have yet to put on my tennis shoes or try any side to side motion. I am a bit anxious about what will happen. TBH - I cannot even look at my racquet. I know it's a silly thing but I know the racquet is damaged; I have seen the big chip that occurred when I fell. I am fearful that it has internal damage and will need to be replaced. It's not even 10 months old yet and was purchased because I fell last April (same freaking foot caused the fall then too) and broke my old racquet. 

There is a fine line between powering through and being stupid. I wonder which side of that line I am currently on.

• Like 4

Wintermom- I hope you're feeling better.

I went to the Y yesterday and did a 5K on the treadmill. I thought it would be okay since I have been able to wear a regular shoe for a couple of days. I did all right. I had a time of 32' 15" which is only 2 minutes slower than what I ran two days before my fall. My foot didn't hurt at all while running but is a tad sore today and my leg tingles just a wee bit. No swelling and no new bruising. I'm going to try again this afternoon and see what happens two days in a row. Treadmill running movements are much different than those in tennis and I have yet to put on my tennis shoes or try any side to side motion. I am a bit anxious about what will happen. TBH - I cannot even look at my racquet. I know it's a silly thing but I know the racquet is damaged; I have seen the big chip that occurred when I fell. I am fearful that it has internal damage and will need to be replaced. It's not even 10 months old yet and was purchased because I fell last April (same freaking foot caused the fall then too) and broke my old racquet. 

There is a fine line between powering through and being stupid. I wonder which side of that line I am currently on.

I'm pretty sure what side of the line I'm on.  :laugh:  Take it easy.  Glad you're able to do so much. I'm jealous. I've been walking outdoors, but I have to do it slower than normal. It's hard to tie my shoe on the injured leg, which is a good reminder that all is not well.

Sorry about your racquets getting damaged. Have you figured out what is causing these falls? Is it your shoes, your past injury or something else entirely?  I've fallen once on the court because of my big, boxy tennis shoe not allowing my foot to bend/flex sideways when I needed to. It was kind of like trying to turn on a bike with training wheels.  I wear a different kind of shoe now and haven't had the same problem.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure what side of the line I'm on.  :laugh:  Take it easy.  Glad you're able to do so much. I'm jealous. I've been walking outdoors, but I have to do it slower than normal. It's hard to tie my shoe on the injured leg, which is a good reminder that all is not well.

Sorry about your racquets getting damaged. Have you figured out what is causing these falls? Is it your shoes, your past injury or something else entirely?  I've fallen once on the court because of my big, boxy tennis shoe not allowing my foot to bend/flex sideways when I needed to. It was kind of like trying to turn on a bike with training wheels.  I wear a different kind of shoe now and haven't had the same problem.

Don't be jealous. I haven't done much in 10 days. And I broke down and ate Nerd Bumpy Jelly beans.

As far as what is causing me to fall - that's the big question. My health has been off for a while. I first noticed it when I fell giving a lecture. I went to turn to the right and my leg simply buckled and down I went. That was a bit embarrassing since I was wearing a skirt and the class was filled to capacity. At first the docs thought I had lyme, then fibromyalgia. The truth is they don't know what's going on. Some days/weeks/months are better than others. Two years ago, I couldn't walk without using my trekking poles for support. Then it went away and I was fine. There are days I am 100% pain free and others when going up stairs makes me cry. My 'good' days far outnumber the bad at the moment. Staying active helps.

Re: shoes - when I fell this time I was wearing new Adidas Ubersonics. They weren't even two months old and had about 30 hours of court time on them. When I fell last time I had on Nikes. Also newer but with that little flare off the outer side for greater stability. At the time of that fall, I did blame the shoe and the flare and went back to a New Balance shoe.

The falls occurred on two different courts with two different shoes. The only thing they have in common is they were both due to something on my right leg or foot.

I did have the injury on the toe though from the horse. Whereas that does come in to play for the joint and arthritis issues, it does not explain the muscular and nerve tissue issues in the rest of my leg.

Since no one knows what the problem is, I just keep focusing on doing what I do. There are days I am invincible and my body shows no signs of whatever it is and people cannot keep up with me. There are days DGD holds my hand to help me up the stairs and DH waits patiently for me when we walk because I cannot keep up. I never know what type of day it is going to be but I do what I must do.

• Like 4

(hugs) Scoutermom- You worry me :( It is one thing to be hurt/sick but another not to know what it is and what to do about it :( 

more hugs for you wintermom :( 

Woot! Sparkly!

Good news here my Mom is sore but not dying ;) She turns 60 this year and although pretty darn active hasn't been a regular exerciser in years, I was nervous how she would feel when she woke up.

I've got a bit of soreness but nothing horrible, except this random crick in my neck.

I feel really good, I've felt better lately than I have in months and I'm not sure why but I'm happy for it.

I have hardly seen my Mom since Christmas, she has gone on and on about how thin I am and how good I look, the compliments are a boost for sure. If anyone else has noticed anything they've not said anything, then again Mom saw me in workout clothes which show a lot more than the usual jeans and t-shirt.

Weather is decent today and a walk is planned for this afternoon.

• Like 6

just doing anything. ..

I'm trying to get back to full time yoga (6 days a week.) - and I'm also doing some nordic track (skier).  I hate injuries. I heal, start back, - another injury (NONE of which had anything to do with any exercise i was doing!) - go to therapy, *finally* start to heal... have my eye issue..(to be fair, the ophthalmologist did assure me I could do yoga even though inverted poses would set off flashes)

so-it feels good to be doing something.. . . anything.

• Like 7

Don't be jealous. I haven't done much in 10 days. And I broke down and ate Nerd Bumpy Jelly beans.

As far as what is causing me to fall - that's the big question. My health has been off for a while. I first noticed it when I fell giving a lecture. I went to turn to the right and my leg simply buckled and down I went. That was a bit embarrassing since I was wearing a skirt and the class was filled to capacity. At first the docs thought I had lyme, then fibromyalgia. The truth is they don't know what's going on. Some days/weeks/months are better than others. Two years ago, I couldn't walk without using my trekking poles for support. Then it went away and I was fine. There are days I am 100% pain free and others when going up stairs makes me cry. My 'good' days far outnumber the bad at the moment. Staying active helps.

Re: shoes - when I fell this time I was wearing new Adidas Ubersonics. They weren't even two months old and had about 30 hours of court time on them. When I fell last time I had on Nikes. Also newer but with that little flare off the outer side for greater stability. At the time of that fall, I did blame the shoe and the flare and went back to a New Balance shoe.

The falls occurred on two different courts with two different shoes. The only thing they have in common is they were both due to something on my right leg or foot.

I did have the injury on the toe though from the horse. Whereas that does come in to play for the joint and arthritis issues, it does not explain the muscular and nerve tissue issues in the rest of my leg.

Since no one knows what the problem is, I just keep focusing on doing what I do. There are days I am invincible and my body shows no signs of whatever it is and people cannot keep up with me. There are days DGD holds my hand to help me up the stairs and DH waits patiently for me when we walk because I cannot keep up. I never know what type of day it is going to be but I do what I must do.

That health issue does sound pretty concerning. I love the attitude to just keep doing what you can. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

(hugs) Scoutermom- You worry me :( It is one thing to be hurt/sick but another not to know what it is and what to do about it :(

more hugs for you wintermom :(

Woot! Sparkly!

Good news here my Mom is sore but not dying ;) She turns 60 this year and although pretty darn active hasn't been a regular exerciser in years, I was nervous how she would feel when she woke up.

I've got a bit of soreness but nothing horrible, except this random crick in my neck.

I feel really good, I've felt better lately than I have in months and I'm not sure why but I'm happy for it.

I have hardly seen my Mom since Christmas, she has gone on and on about how thin I am and how good I look, the compliments are a boost for sure. If anyone else has noticed anything they've not said anything, then again Mom saw me in workout clothes which show a lot more than the usual jeans and t-shirt.

Weather is decent today and a walk is planned for this afternoon.

I'm older than your Mom!  :leaving:

• Like 3

Well that stinks. I hope they eventually figure it out and that in the meantime, there are no more falls. 

My leg buckled like that when I was having a disc issue, but then again that was in the middle of an episode of searing  back pain . I wonder if it's possible that your disc pops out a bit and compresses a nerve but doesn't cause pain somehow. 

• Like 4

Zumba was super hard tonight in terms of cardio intensity. I am wiped out. Flexibility is incorporated so that got done, too. 

Because the workout was so hard, I'm going to do strength training tomorrow and either light/moderate cardio or none. I feel like I need a rest. 

• Like 4

Tempo interval run today for just over 5 miles. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m thinking I picked up some fitness over the off season and can stretch a bit further in my goals. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll see if the impression holds. Running today was fun.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 4

Wintermom ~ Hope you feel better! It now sounds like you were hurt more than I originally thought :(

Accidental Coach ~ It sounds very concerning. Hope you figure it out :grouphug: Disc issues are possible. I know my mom had problems with her arm refusing to work because of a disc in her neck. There was no pain, just arm dropping suddenly. Not exactly the same, but possible. 

I am finally back to normal. Actually, even better than normal. I am bouncing off the walls today. I started magnesium a few days ago. Not sure if it is connected or just my cycle moving forward, or maybe it was a piece of cheesecake, Nutella, and other sugary things I ate yesterday... In any case, the world looks better, and I am full of energy. I'll take it no matter why.

I fenced yesterday, and all of a sudden my knee acted up. I don't know what happened, just a sudden pain, which went away by the end of the day. I only had my DD and one other girl to fence, so I quickly lost a bout to the other girl, and then just planted myself on the strip and let DD come at me. Focusing entirely on bladework felt different and fresh. I liked it. I tried to use what I learned yesterday in today's fencing and won 5 out of 6 bouts. Obviously, my newly found energy didn't hurt either. My back, on the other hand decided to complain. It didn't hurt at all while I was fencing, but sitting and walking now is rather painful. I guess I can't have it all.  

• Like 4

Training run with my group on Tuesday and then was at the gym on Wednesday. I have running group again tonight. I'm hoping the streets are dry. Yesterday it snowed and then it rained and everything was slushy and soaking. 

I am just at the tail end of my longest ever fast. I'm at 4 days and 9 hours now. I have had so much energy and have felt great the whole time. During the fast I've run a total of 28km, had a home workout and a gym workout, completed a ton of errands that I had been putting off, and cleaned my house :) I'm planning on breaking the fast at 11am or so. I had planned to stop yesterday, but I got home from the gym and put a pan on the stove and took out some eggs from the fridge and realized I wasn't hungry so I put it off and now here I am a day later. I was much more diligent about supplementing this time (salt and potassium) and I think that made a world of difference. I know fasting is still kind of a weird thing. It works for me and it works well with my keto diet. I follow the protocols in Dr. Fung's book, The Complete Guide to Fasting. Plus, dh and I are in the Intensive Dietary Management Program, so we have support through that as well. 

• Like 4

I'm older than your Mom!  :leaving:

Well, I knew the way you had talked you were 'older' but one doesn't assume such things you know! Any tips you have? We're focusing on strength b/c she'd prefer to do any cardio at home. We're doing the basics, squats, lunges, presses, and pulls.

Sarah- whatever works for you! 

olga- so glad you are feeling better, it is hard to say, you know. Sometimes I think I have a clue what is going on then it feels like total guesswork!

mamaraby- Woot, good for you! 

I did get in about a 30 ish minute walk yesterday, although I was thwarted.

Just as we were going to start a bike/walk dd1 tells me she is having trouble with her tooth, sure enough right next to a cavity is a big bump on her gum, looks like an abscess. Call a dentist they say bring her in right away and they'll work her in otherwise it won't be until Monday, UGH. I was so disappointed, finally, a day with nothing to do and even ds got his school done early, which never happens!!! Sigh, I was wiped by the time we got home but got outside anyway.

Today:

8:30 am- Lifting w/ my Mom- total body- 3x10- except shoulder presses- going heavy on that today

4:30pm- deadlifts & tbar rows- heavy

• Like 3

Training run with my group on Tuesday and then was at the gym on Wednesday. I have running group again tonight. I'm hoping the streets are dry. Yesterday it snowed and then it rained and everything was slushy and soaking. 

I am just at the tail end of my longest ever fast. I'm at 4 days and 9 hours now. I have had so much energy and have felt great the whole time. During the fast I've run a total of 28km, had a home workout and a gym workout, completed a ton of errands that I had been putting off, and cleaned my house :) I'm planning on breaking the fast at 11am or so. I had planned to stop yesterday, but I got home from the gym and put a pan on the stove and took out some eggs from the fridge and realized I wasn't hungry so I put it off and now here I am a day later. I was much more diligent about supplementing this time (salt and potassium) and I think that made a world of difference. I know fasting is still kind of a weird thing. It works for me and it works well with my keto diet. I follow the protocols in Dr. Fung's book, The Complete Guide to Fasting. Plus, dh and I are in the Intensive Dietary Management Program, so we have support through that as well. 

You've piqued my curiosity about your fasting. Are we talking the classic Catholic or other religious type of fasting, where you abstain from foods on certain days, or certain times of day? Or just from certain foods and quantity of foods? I know some active Muslims who fast during Ramadam and they are very, very careful about being physically active during their fasting times. I'm with them 100%. How can one be active without fueling a body? It's like driving a car on fumes.

• Like 2

You've piqued my curiosity about your fasting. Are we talking the classic Catholic or other religious type of fasting, where you abstain from foods on certain days, or certain times of day? Or just from certain foods and quantity of foods? I know some active Muslims who fast during Ramadam and they are very, very careful about being physically active during their fasting times. I'm with them 100%. How can one be active without fueling a body? It's like driving a car on fumes.

No, most religious fasts are actually just calorie restrictive. During Ramadan, the fast ends when the sun sets (I think). It's much harder on your body to restrict calories than it is to abstain from all calories.

There's a pretty good intro on fasting here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting 

I follow a ketogenic diet and am fat adapted, so fasting comes pretty easily and my body is very efficient at using fat stores for energy. I'm not running without fuel - I've got lots of reserves around my waist ;) 

I feel way more energized on fasting days. And I require less sleep, which actually bugs me a little because I do like to sleep. I was wide awake at 4:45 this morning after going to bed at 10. 

This is from the IDM site: The IDMP is the world leader in the use of intermittent and extended fasting in the treatment of metabolic diseases. Dr. Jason Fung and Megan RamosĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ clinic in Toronto has successfully treated thousands of clients with fasting for many years. Dr. Jason Fung has lectured physicians throughout the world about this ancient dietary technique, appeared on television, and written a comprehensive bestseller on its use. Other dietary strategies include eating whole unrefined foods, lowering dietary intake of refined grains, added sugars and increasing natural fats.

• Like 4

No, most religious fasts are actually just calorie restrictive. 

Aren't ALL forms of fasting simply calorie restrictive? Breakfast is breaking the fast throughout the night by eating food in the morning. 

I would have categorized religious fasts as food-specific or time-specific restrictive. Fish on Friday, Bread and water for a more serious fast on high holy days. The Orthodox church has a lot more specific food restrictions.

I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just interested in the concept of fasting while training for a half marathon. I'd have pegged that as a no-no. Adipose tissue on the body isn't as quickly accessed as carbohydrates, and it takes a lot of water for the body to access the fat stored in the body. If the fat isn't accessible, the body can start breaking down muscle tissue for fuel, and if the heart muscle is at risk this is a very serious problem.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Aren't ALL forms of fasting simply calorie restrictive? Breakfast is breaking the fast throughout the night by eating food in the morning. 

I would have categorized religious fasts as food-specific or time-specific restrictive. Fish on Friday, Bread and water for a more serious fast on high holy days. The Orthodox church has a lot more specific food restrictions.

I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just interested in the concept of fasting while training for a half marathon. I'd have pegged that as a no-no. Adipose tissue on the body isn't as quickly accessed as carbohydrates, and it takes a lot of water for the body to access the fat stored in the body. If the fat isn't accessible, the body can start breaking down muscle tissue for fuel, and if the heart muscle is at risk this is a very serious problem.

Apparently the body handles zero calories much differently than say, 800 calories.

I ran a half-marathon in the beginning of February. During my training, I was fasting for 45 hours, twice a week and doing intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast) on eating days. I was also following a ketogenic diet. I had chicken thighs with a fennel curry cream sauce for dinner the night before and then I ran without breakfast the next day. I am definitely not the fastest runner in the world, but I was really pleased with my time - 2 hours and 10 minutes. I felt awesome during the race, even though it was awfully cold! I was even able to pick up the pace during the final third of the race and actually passed a bunch of people. 

When you're fasting, you get an increase of human growth hormone, so it's actually conducive to building lean muscle mass. Fasting is muscle sparing - Dr. Fung talks a lot about this in his book, The Complete Guide to Fasting. He has overseen the fasting regimes of hundreds of patients. I would guess that he is probably the most experienced physician out there when it comes to the care and tracking of patients who fast. 

I can say with confidence that I have definitely built muscle while fasting. I'm now deadlifting 215 lbs and I'm benching 95 lbs. 

Here's a link explaining how fasting affects your physiology and hormones (it explains things much better than my attempt!): https://www.dietdoctor.com/fasting-affects-physiology-hormones 

• Like 4

Apparently the body handles zero calories much differently than say, 800 calories.

I ran a half-marathon in the beginning of February. During my training, I was fasting for 45 hours, twice a week and doing intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast) on eating days. I was also following a ketogenic diet. I had chicken thighs with a fennel curry cream sauce for dinner the night before and then I ran without breakfast the next day. I am definitely not the fastest runner in the world, but I was really pleased with my time - 2 hours and 10 minutes. I felt awesome during the race, even though it was awfully cold! I was even able to pick up the pace during the final third of the race and actually passed a bunch of people. 

When you're fasting, you get an increase of human growth hormone, so it's actually conducive to building lean muscle mass. Fasting is muscle sparing - Dr. Fung talks a lot about this in his book, The Complete Guide to Fasting. He has overseen the fasting regimes of hundreds of patients. I would guess that he is probably the most experienced physician out there when it comes to the care and tracking of patients who fast. 

I can say with confidence that I have definitely built muscle while fasting. I'm now deadlifting 215 lbs and I'm benching 95 lbs. 

Here's a link explaining how fasting affects your physiology and hormones (it explains things much better than my attempt!): https://www.dietdoctor.com/fasting-affects-physiology-hormones 

Interesting. What about your own personal long-term plan. Are you doing this fasting regime for a certain number of months, or is this for a life-time? 

• Like 1

Interesting. What about your own personal long-term plan. Are you doing this fasting regime for a certain number of months, or is this for a life-time? 

I'm 4 lbs away from my goal weight so I will be changing things up somewhat. I actually enjoy fasting and I think there are a lot of benefits to fasting outside of weight loss. I don't think I'll ever eat breakfast again - not regularly, anyway, but I will likely cut down my longer fasts to two 22 hour fasts per week (dinner to dinner the next day) and see where that gets me. I will also likely plan a 3 or 4 day fast maybe every few months or so. I already eat about 1700 calories on eating days and am still losing weight. Once I lose these last 4 lbs I'll have to figure out how many calories I need to maintain. 

I'm actually looking forward to the maintenance stage. Last time I got down to my goal weight (just before Christmas of 2016) I ended up going through my worst winter of seasonal depression and gained 25lbs so there was no maintenance at all. 

• Like 3

I'm just popping back in to say hi and thanks to everyone for continuing to post and inspiring me.

I've been on and off to the gym (more off than on) for the last 2-3 weeks but have been sick with some form of virus/cold/flu/bronchitis thing for most of that time.  Coupled with a bout of 'eating my feelings' in the middle when I was vaguely healthy, I was avoiding this thread, but I've decided that even if I can't make it to the gym (heck, I can barely make it out of bed these days), I'm still going to check in.

The good news is that this last bout of illness has dampened my appetite and after 4 days of not eating, I saw a number on the scale that I haven't seen for ages.  I'd like to use that to kick-start some better eating habits once I finally feel like eating again.

The other good news is that the physio for my shoulder seems to be working quite well.  We're past the stabilizing phase and moving onto the strengthening phase.  I can do many things I couldn't before without wanting to cry in pain.  I've been trying to keep up with the physio exercises at home even when I haven't been making it to the gym.

• Like 5

Well, I knew the way you had talked you were 'older' but one doesn't assume such things you know! Any tips you have? We're focusing on strength b/c she'd prefer to do any cardio at home. We're doing the basics, squats, lunges, presses, and pulls.

Sounds good on the strength training. Make sure she's eating enough protein. It's really hard to build muscle mass at our age (not impossible but hard), but strength gains are still expected!

I would suggest eventually adding in some flexibility and balance exercise. For balance, something as simple as standing on one foot while brushing your teeth or standing at the kitchen sink is helpful. 

For cardio, with doctor's permission, I would encourage her to add in a few intervals of "sprint equivalents" in her workouts, meaning something equivalent to a sprint. It's easiest on the joints if it's on a bike or in the pool. I don't have time to dig it up now, but there was a study that demonstrated that 45 min of steady state cycling was equivalent to 2 min easy cycling, 20 sec sprint, 2 min easy, 20 sec sprint, 2 min easy 20 sec sprint, 2 min easy. (Add a warm up and cool down to that.) 

Speaking of warm-ups: they are critical as one ages. At least 5 min warm -up for cardio, 7 min if there are any heartbeat irregularities. wrt strength training same cardio type warm up, then do a set of each exercise at a light weight before doing the target weight. 

Motivation: I like to watch youtube videos of older women being fit. Search "old lady lifting" or "old lady dancing" or "old lady in marathon" type stuff!      :lol: Usually the "old ladies" are a couple decades past me so it's good motivation for the future! 

• Like 3

I also really recommend Jason Fung's book.  Great book, really interesting work done in fasting!

I've now been keto 16 days and have not had any impact in my running.  I'm careful to keep my electrolytes up.  I really enjoy your fasting updates!  I'd like to try a four day fast, as I was just reading an article about immune system and fasting and it seems that was the magic number.  While in keto (last year) and I did several weeks of one-meal-a-day and really enjoyed that- super high energy and alertness.  It's hard to talk about though, because most people assume someone fasting on purpose must be insane, obsessed with weight, suffering form an eating disorder... it's actually a really healthy thing for the body to fast from time to time.  

I'm going to give myself a few more weeks of keto, then work my way up to a 2 day fast for starters.  Thanks for the inspiration!

To all the injured out there:  THAT SUCKS!!!  So sorry to hear about all the weird accidents that have been happening.  

• Like 2

I'm 4 lbs away from my goal weight so I will be changing things up somewhat. I actually enjoy fasting and I think there are a lot of benefits to fasting outside of weight loss. I don't think I'll ever eat breakfast again - not regularly, anyway, but I will likely cut down my longer fasts to two 22 hour fasts per week (dinner to dinner the next day) and see where that gets me. I will also likely plan a 3 or 4 day fast maybe every few months or so. I already eat about 1700 calories on eating days and am still losing weight. Once I lose these last 4 lbs I'll have to figure out how many calories I need to maintain. 

I'm actually looking forward to the maintenance stage. Last time I got down to my goal weight (just before Christmas of 2016) I ended up going through my worst winter of seasonal depression and gained 25lbs so there was no maintenance at all. 

4 lbs is sooo close and I hear you on maintenance and great job on the weights, you are inching up steadily!!! Depression sucks too, may we all not have to mess with that crap again. Since this last baby I've had a h*ll of a time staying at maintenance, whereas that wasn't an issue before but I'm older and now have thyroid disease. I'm hoping when I weigh again to be about 5lbs out from my preferred weight. That is 2 wks out, so we'll see, according to my measurements I'm steadily dropping.

I'm just popping back in to say hi and thanks to everyone for continuing to post and inspiring me.

I've been on and off to the gym (more off than on) for the last 2-3 weeks but have been sick with some form of virus/cold/flu/bronchitis thing for most of that time.  Coupled with a bout of 'eating my feelings' in the middle when I was vaguely healthy, I was avoiding this thread, but I've decided that even if I can't make it to the gym (heck, I can barely make it out of bed these days), I'm still going to check in.

The good news is that this last bout of illness has dampened my appetite and after 4 days of not eating, I saw a number on the scale that I haven't seen for ages.  I'd like to use that to kick-start some better eating habits once I finally feel like eating again.

The other good news is that the physio for my shoulder seems to be working quite well.  We're past the stabilizing phase and moving onto the strengthening phase.  I can do many things I couldn't before without wanting to cry in pain.  I've been trying to keep up with the physio exercises at home even when I haven't been making it to the gym.

(hugs) great news on the PT, may this be a fresh new start.

Sounds good on the strength training. Make sure she's eating enough protein. It's really hard to build muscle mass at our age (not impossible but hard), but strength gains are still expected!

I would suggest eventually adding in some flexibility and balance exercise. For balance, something as simple as standing on one foot while brushing your teeth or standing at the kitchen sink is helpful. 

For cardio, with doctor's permission, I would encourage her to add in a few intervals of "sprint equivalents" in her workouts, meaning something equivalent to a sprint. It's easiest on the joints if it's on a bike or in the pool. I don't have time to dig it up now, but there was a study that demonstrated that 45 min of steady state cycling was equivalent to 2 min easy cycling, 20 sec sprint, 2 min easy, 20 sec sprint, 2 min easy 20 sec sprint, 2 min easy. (Add a warm up and cool down to that.) 

Speaking of warm-ups: they are critical as one ages. At least 5 min warm -up for cardio, 7 min if there are any heartbeat irregularities. wrt strength training same cardio type warm up, then do a set of each exercise at a light weight before doing the target weight. 

Motivation: I like to watch youtube videos of older women being fit. Search "old lady lifting" or "old lady dancing" or "old lady in marathon" type stuff!      :lol: Usually the "old ladies" are a couple decades past me so it's good motivation for the future! 

We've been doing 5 min warm-ups b/c that is my usual but we can push it to 7, Mom has MVP. We've been starting with easy sets too, so got that covered. We're doing a good amount of flexibility work at the end of lifting but haven't done any balance work, that is a great idea to throw that in. I'll tell her about the protein- how much do you recommend at that age? 

We've been doing warm-ups on the treadmill but adding in a few sprints and doing it on the bike would be easy enough, trying to keep it pretty basic to start out with but that sounds doable. 

She did good today, she was still sore from Tuesday but not as much as I expected. She's got a decent amount of strength, great really for her age and her lack of exercise but she does lot of work outside and around the house. Her big problem was her ankle surgery that put her out of commission for so long and hormone/thyroid crap.

Workout done, added reps onto my shoulder press, woot!

Trying to get stuff done so we can get outside, it is going to be 70 today!!

• Like 2

It's hard to talk about though, because most people assume someone fasting on purpose must be insane, obsessed with weight, suffering form an eating disorder... 

I can imagine. And to combine fasting with homeschooling and running half marathons probably means instantly getting placed on people's list of, "This person is very different."     "I better not ask any more questions, or they may even try to convince me to do something I never thought of doing before!"   :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

I can imagine. And to combine fasting with homeschooling and running half marathons probably means instantly getting placed on people's list of, "This person is very different."     "I better not ask any more questions, or they may even try to convince me to do something I never thought of doing before!"   :laugh:

*cough* you forgot home birthing *cough*

Yes, the main issue that has kept me from fasting thus far is other people's possible judgy opinions.  I usually am very water-off-a-duck's-back, but food is SO IMPORTANT to people... hard to not step on toes, even if being discreet.  Keto is bad enough in public!    

• Like 3

*cough* you forgot home birthing *cough*

Yes, the main issue that has kept me from fasting thus far is other people's possible judgy opinions.  I usually am very water-off-a-duck's-back, but food is SO IMPORTANT to people... hard to not step on toes, even if being discreet.  Keto is bad enough in public!    

I once had someone ask me if I homebirthed and when I answered in the affirmative another lady nearby got all pissy with me about it. She said, "That's not cool." Or something like that, like I picked my birthing choice based on coolness, geesh. I just ignored her. 

I often don't eat in public. I'm GF which knocks out most public eats and usually, I'd rather eat my own food anyway. I usually eat before or after. People are used to it now though. I guess anyone that doesn't know me just think I'm always dieting. 

• Like 3

I went for a walk with a friend today, and I noticed that my speed has increased and my soreness has decreased. This is very good news for me! I just need to be patient with this recovery process and let my body tell me the rate and not my mind. In my mind, I'm already playing tennis and skiing down some hills. My poor body would be toast, though.  :laugh: 

• Like 4

Happy Friday!

Morning walk- 1.5 miles, very brisk

That will be it for today, it is already sprinkling and set to get worse. I'm SORE today! Planning to veg after co-op and enjoy some chocolate to commemorate Aunt Flo :)

I realized that my waist is smaller than it has been since right before I got pregnant w/ #3, I was 10+ lbs lighter then. Now, my hips aren't nearly as small but you can't have everything :) My waist is around an inch away from pre-pregnancy size (I'm not sure that I've obtained that since the kids), now my lower waist and under my ribs aren't quite there but around my belly is shrinking nicely.

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

Dh had some back pain the other day so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m mostly by myself this week. I was going to swap a rest day for cross training yesterday, but ended up sticking with the rest day as the kids this week are having a tough time focusing and then I had to volunteer at the Girl Scout meeting last night.

Today I need to run, although I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember what the workout is at this moment. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll either get it done during the day or IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll do it on the treadmill after I drop my kids off at their grandparents house for their sleepover. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s warmer outside so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d prefer the first choice.

• Like 5

I went to the gym this morning and did about 45 min of different upper body strength, core and aerobic work. I went on the recumbent elliptical machine and used only my good leg, then the rowing machine, some weights, sit-ups, push-ups, planks and a few other things that didn't hurt the recovering leg. I'm also going for a long walk with a couple friends this afternoon. Altogether, that should be a good bit of exercise.

I also went to the library and borrowed a few different books on physics and calculus for "fun" reading. The titles make them sound user-friendly. "How to teach your dog physics" and "Everyday Calculus" sounded like interesting. I've never studied calculus before so I'm keen to see how much I can understand. ;)

• Like 3

I have been bed ridden for the past 36 hours. My body just hurts - joints, muscles, everything. It has been quite depressing. DH convinced me to go see his chiropractor citing a possible back injury due to the fall on 3/3. I am a chiropractic cynic and have never wanted to see a chiropractor but, due to the extreme discomfort and inability to get out of bed, I relented and went in this morning. The initial intake exam was interesting and he asked me a bunch of questions about my lifestyle. One of his questions (which he prefaced with "Please don't take this the wrong way but..." was about my belly fat and if I have trouble losing weight. I wanted to cry as I answered yes. 

After x-rays and a series of other scans, he indicated that I have vagus nerve compression and possible vagus nerve damage. He is waiting on other test results before he gives me a full diagnosis. 

Could this be it? I am cautiously hopeful but still a bit cynical.

--off to google vagus nerve information

• Like 4

I also really recommend Jason Fung's book.  Great book, really interesting work done in fasting!

I've now been keto 16 days and have not had any impact in my running.  I'm careful to keep my electrolytes up.  I really enjoy your fasting updates!  I'd like to try a four day fast, as I was just reading an article about immune system and fasting and it seems that was the magic number.  While in keto (last year) and I did several weeks of one-meal-a-day and really enjoyed that- super high energy and alertness.  It's hard to talk about though, because most people assume someone fasting on purpose must be insane, obsessed with weight, suffering form an eating disorder... it's actually a really healthy thing for the body to fast from time to time.  

I'm going to give myself a few more weeks of keto, then work my way up to a 2 day fast for starters.  Thanks for the inspiration!

To all the injured out there:  THAT SUCKS!!!  So sorry to hear about all the weird accidents that have been happening.  

That's great that it's not impacting your running at the 16 day mark. I hear so many people talk about there being an adjustment period when starting keto and during that time their training is harder and slower. 

I think keeping electrolytes up is key. This sounds gross, but I dissolve 1/4 tsp of No-Salt (potassium) and 1/4 tsp pink salt in about 1/8 cup of pickle juice. I take magnesium at night before bed. I do think fasting has been good for my immune system. I haven't been sick at all this year. But, yes, it sounds crazy. I don't talk to anyone about fasting. I've never discussed it on Facebook or really anywhere except here. I don't tell anyone I'm fasting. If I'm fasting and I have to go out with people I just say I ate right before I left or I say my stomach is off or something like that. I also plan my fasts so I can do things like go out for dinner or go to events without it impacting a fast. 

• Like 3

4 lbs is sooo close and I hear you on maintenance and great job on the weights, you are inching up steadily!!! Depression sucks too, may we all not have to mess with that crap again. Since this last baby I've had a h*ll of a time staying at maintenance, whereas that wasn't an issue before but I'm older and now have thyroid disease. I'm hoping when I weigh again to be about 5lbs out from my preferred weight. That is 2 wks out, so we'll see, according to my measurements I'm steadily dropping.

You're so close, too! The last baby was what did me in, too. I always gain a ton in pregnancy - I get up past 200 lbs for some reason. Well, I know the reason ;) Anyway, I was pretty good at getting down to a reasonable (not goal) weight after each one, but after the last one I had a really hard time and basically hovered around 150 until I moved here and gained about 35 lbs in two years :( 

• Like 2