Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - March 2018

Granny_Weatherwax

Wintermom - mine isn't a new injury. Years back (when I was in my 30s) my horse spooked and jumped while I was grooming her. She landed on my toe and I ended up with a fracture and a destroyed joint. Since then I have had intermittent issues with the toe associated with degenerative arthritis and dislodged bone fragments. Those fragments are what we think lead to the bone spurs. I knew years ago that my foot health was going to be an issue as I aged. I have taken many precautions with shoes - no heels, wide flat soled boots, men's footwear, etc - for years and have just dealt with the foot pain while hiking and playing tennis. In truth, hiking doesn't hurt much since hiking boots tend to be sturdy.

Moral of this story - wear appropriate shoes when grooming horses

Ya, that would do it. Things we wish you had or hadn't done in one's youth come back to haunt us in "old age."   :coolgleamA:  

I'm pretty sure I managed to sustain a minor dislocation in my other big toe in martial arts that I never treated. It gets painful every now and then. It's annoying. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I just got in a 1.5 hour walk with a friend. Her watchy-do-dad said we walked 9.7 km or 13,000 steps. My legs do feel it, especially since it was in the snow and I wore my heavy boots. So leg work is checked off, now I need to find something to lift with my arms. Perhaps something sweet like cookies! ;)

Oh, we just boiled down our very first batch of maple sap to make syrup yesterday! So exciting. We finally tapped our one and only maple tree after years of talking about doing it. The syrup was so sweet and yummy! The boys made up some waffles to eat with their syrup, but I couldn't be bothered and just ate the syrup right from the pot.  :laugh:  What a sugar rush! Good thing we only had about 1/2 cup of syrup in total. It takes so much sap to make syrup. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

I did nothing all weekend, then had to skip evening fencing on Monday, since our friends were in town. Yesterday I did my full body workout for the first time in 2 weeks. I do feel it a little today. I also fenced a little last night, and got hit on the shin. Now I miss a tip-sized piece of skin and sport a noticeable swelling in the area. I think it was my first blood. Still, I can move, so today I'll have a private lesson and a class in the evening.

• Like 3

I went by Academy sports and got some shorts for the gym, they'll be great for hiking too, which is good b/c I really only have hiking capris and pants. There a bit longer than I'd like but the only other options were tighter or shorter than I wanted, they're super comfy and were only $13 so if I still like them after wearing them a bit I'm going to pick up some other colors. I also bought a pair of boy shorts for swimming, I think I got enough guts to wear them although they are less than I'm used to wearing! It will be nice to have 2 different options for bottoms that I like. I've done a bit of walking today and hope to do some more but it is a bit cool and very windy.

I just got in a 1.5 hour walk with a friend. Her watchy-do-dad said we walked 9.7 km or 13,000 steps. My legs do feel it, especially since it was in the snow and I wore my heavy boots. So leg work is checked off, now I need to find something to lift with my arms. Perhaps something sweet like cookies! ;)

Oh, we just boiled down our very first batch of maple sap to make syrup yesterday! So exciting. We finally tapped our one and only maple tree after years of talking about doing it. The syrup was so sweet and yummy! The boys made up some waffles to eat with their syrup, but I couldn't be bothered and just ate the syrup right from the pot.  :laugh:  What a sugar rush! Good thing we only had about 1/2 cup of syrup in total. It takes so much sap to make syrup. 

Yum! I keep thinking we'll tap some here but I never do, yummy! I did my walking Monday with my boots on and part with my 5yo on my back, it was kicking my butt!

I did nothing all weekend, then had to skip evening fencing on Monday, since our friends were in town. Yesterday I did my full body workout for the first time in 2 weeks. I do feel it a little today. I also fenced a little last night, and got hit on the shin. Now I miss a tip-sized piece of skin and sport a noticeable swelling in the area. I think it was my first blood. Still, I can move, so today I'll have a private lesson and a class in the evening.

OUCH!

• Like 4

I'm so tired of being sick. But the illness-induced weight loss continues. It's a lot of sinus pain and drainage now. I am back on the treadmill since yesterday. My disabled dd is sick too, so I'm taking care of both of us and trying to nap when she naps. She's a pro though--there's no keeping up with her when it comes to naps! She sleeps 13 hours a day when everything is fine.

• Like 5

I'm so tired of being sick. But the illness-induced weight loss continues. It's a lot of sinus pain and drainage now. I am back on the treadmill since yesterday. My disabled dd is sick too, so I'm taking care of both of us and trying to nap when she naps. She's a pro though--there's no keeping up with her when it comes to naps! She sleeps 13 hours a day when everything is fine.

feel better, that sucks

• Like 4

Snowed in so no gym.  I'll probably have to wait until Friday to go.  No time tomorrow. 

I do have some videos, but my space for moving is so small that they are annoying to use.

How much snow did you get? Are we talking several feet or several inches?

It's been snowing continuously all day here, and supposed to keep on for another day or two. But the depth of the snow is nothing - only a couple inches. It's weird. I'm used to much more accumulation.

• Like 3

Sarah CB, I can relate to the good days and the days of feeling like you just canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t even. And sometimes that roller coaster runs within the day - awesome mornings and then feeling paralyzed in the afternoon

Fortunately, today was a good day for me. I was able to row, which really helps with my good days. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really at the point where the weight loss will be what it will be, but the endorphin rush is what benefits me most.

• Like 5

Sarah CB, I can relate to the good days and the days of feeling like you just canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t even. And sometimes that roller coaster runs within the day - awesome mornings and then feeling paralyzed in the afternoon

Fortunately, today was a good day for me. I was able to row, which really helps with my good days. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really at the point where the weight loss will be what it will be, but the endorphin rush is what benefits me most.

I find the randomness of it all baffling. I definitely think exercise makes a big difference. 

I'm thankful to have had so few bad days this year. Last year was terrible. I have about 2 and a half weeks before we leave for two weeks in the sun. If I can make it through until our vacation, then I think I'll be ok. 

I've had to be ok with not hitting my weight loss goals for this time. Since January 1st, I've lost ten pounds, but for the last five weeks I've just gone up and down without losing anything extra. I'm still at the 10 lb loss. Considering I gained 25lbs last winter, I'm actually doing pretty good. I had planned to be down to goal weight by my trip, but I'm just happy I haven't gained anything. 

• Like 6

How much snow did you get? Are we talking several feet or several inches?

It's been snowing continuously all day here, and supposed to keep on for another day or two. But the depth of the snow is nothing - only a couple inches. It's weird. I'm used to much more accumulation.

Are there people who get several feet?!  Wowsers.  Never here.  Inches, but yeah overall the storm wasn't that impressive.  We don't ever get nice snow.  It's slush or frozen solid usually. 

They predicted more, but I think what happened is the ground was fairly warm so a lot melted and in some places never accumulated at all.  It's a royal pain to shovel walkways and stuff though.

• Like 3

I find the randomness of it all baffling. I definitely think exercise makes a big difference. 

I'm thankful to have had so few bad days this year. Last year was terrible. I have about 2 and a half weeks before we leave for two weeks in the sun. If I can make it through until our vacation, then I think I'll be ok. 

I've had to be ok with not hitting my weight loss goals for this time. Since January 1st, I've lost ten pounds, but for the last five weeks I've just gone up and down without losing anything extra. I'm still at the 10 lb loss. Considering I gained 25lbs last winter, I'm actually doing pretty good. I had planned to be down to goal weight by my trip, but I'm just happy I haven't gained anything. 

Yep.  What's annoying here is on the days (in winter) that we get a lot of sunshine, those are the days that are unbearably cold.  When it's cloudy it's not.  But then it's cloudy. 

Winters are the pits.  I do think my moods are better with regular exercise though.

• Like 2

Are there people who get several feet?!  Wowsers.  Never here.  Inches, but yeah overall the storm wasn't that impressive.  We don't ever get nice snow.  It's slush or frozen solid usually. 

They predicted more, but I think what happened is the ground was fairly warm so a lot melted and in some places never accumulated at all.  It's a royal pain to shovel walkways and stuff though.

Yes, on the east coast of Canada they get some extreme weather. Late winter storms can put them several feet deep with snow. Happens a lot. Two years ago it was right up to people's roofs. My sil grew up in Prince Edward Island and has some wild stories.  :leaving:

• Like 3

Yes, on the east coast of Canada they get some extreme weather. Late winter storms can put them several feet deep with snow. Happens a lot. Two years ago it was right up to people's roofs. My sil grew up in Prince Edward Island and has some wild stories.  :leaving:

Where I lived in CT, we would get a lot more snow than where I am now in NY.  But it gets much colder here where I am.

Despite that I don't think I've seen more than 2 feet of snow in CT. 

• Like 2

hugs- Ali- being sick sucks

Our weather here is 'springish", some cool mornings but decent enough during the day to only require a light jacket if anything. Not quite warm enough(for me anyway) for a bike ride, although I'd love one. 

Sarah- I hear you too on the good days and bads. Some is physical and some is mental. I think you are right if you make it to vacation that will be a BIG boost for several reasons and IMO 10 lbs since Jan is great!!!

So, today is lifting in the afternoon(bench, squat, & pull-up prep) and I hope for an actual walk or a few small ones.

And drum roll..... I've met my goal for my waist :) 

My hips still have 1/2 in or so to go.

So, we'll see where my waist ends up when I meet goal with my hips!!!

I do think the weight training is helping to shape me. I should have taken before pictures. My waist size now corresponds to it's size when I was probably 5 lbs smaller before (I've not weighed in a couple wks but I know I've not lost that much). I don't mind my legs as much either but I'm really not sure if that is just the mental boost or they actually look any different at all!

Food has been really good (tasty AND good for me). Last night was a red lentil, sweet potato, and green bean curry. Soooo yummy, I was so disappointed I didn't have leftovers! Tonight I'm making bowls- baked spiced chicken + kale salad

/rambling musings/ I've not done the best with my walking goals, I think I was too optimistic about what I was ready for and the stinkin' weather. But I have met my main goals, to lift 2x a week, every week for  12wks (except the one I was sick), which is pretty awesome. I'm happy I made my main goal a small one. Maybe with the spring and my energy and mood slowly and steadily improving I can then get my walking/biking back up. I want to be mindful to not push myself though, I have a very, very bad pattern of feeling better and wanting to do EVERYTHING and then pushing myself too far. I'm purposely trying to keep my exercise not too intense, this is a huge mental shift for me. Not trying to see how much I can get out of myself and trying to find my limits, I think I had to proove something to myself after being diagnosed, that I could do anything. \rambling musings\

• Like 4

Where I lived in CT, we would get a lot more snow than where I am now in NY.  But it gets much colder here where I am.

I gather you aren't in the area near the Great Lakes where they get sudden dumps of snow they refer to as the "lake effect," I think. They get lots of snow really quickly during some storms. Cars get buried under the snow with people stuck inside. It's scary.

Our winter storms are more freezing rain, though we do get a lot of snow some years. Not this year, unfortunately. It was not good for skiing and the outdoor skating season was really short, too.

• Like 2

I gather you aren't in the area near the Great Lakes where they get sudden dumps of snow they refer to as the "lake effect," I think. They get lots of snow really quickly during some storms. Cars get buried under the snow with people stuck inside. It's scary.

Our winter storms are more freezing rain, though we do get a lot of snow some years. Not this year, unfortunately. It was not good for skiing and the outdoor skating season was really short, too.

Nope, not that far up.  I couldn't hack that!  LOL

We get a lot of freezing rain.  I don't bother buying the kids winter gear because we might get a day or two of snow you can do anything on/with. 

• Like 4

Went to the gym yesterday to run on the treadmill and did some strength training. I think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll go ride the bike at the gym today for some cross training.

I went to the store to buy myself a new pair of jeans yesterday. The jeans I have fit ok, but I neglected to notice that they were ankle length when I bought the, and they have annoyed me to no end since then. It makes me feel like my pants are too short. I have discovered that higher rise jeans are meant for people like me. I also bought a size that I have never worn and that I never thought was possible to wear. It may just be because of vanity sizing, but I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t care. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll take it.

• Like 6

And drum roll..... I've met my goal for my waist :)

My hips still have 1/2 in or so to go.

So, we'll see where my waist ends up when I meet goal with my hips!!!

I do think the weight training is helping to shape me. I should have taken before pictures. My waist size now corresponds to it's size when I was probably 5 lbs smaller before (I've not weighed in a couple wks but I know I've not lost that much). I don't mind my legs as much either but I'm really not sure if that is just the mental boost or they actually look any different at all!

That's awesome! I am amazed at how much weight training has changed my body. I'm about 12 lbs above my smallest weight from last year and yet *all* of my skinniest clothes fit me perfectly right now. In some cases, they fit better than last year. I know I won't get down to last year's weight again simply because I have a lot more muscle. Not even sure what my final goal weight will be - I'll just play it by ear.

It sure helps to make good food, doesn't it? Last night I had a Whole 30 salmon recipe that I love and I paired that with Brussels sprouts in garlic cream sauce and then chia seed pudding for dessert. 

• Like 6

I'm in Newfoundland and we get big dumps of snow. Plus, much crazy wind so the drifts are often much higher. I think the most we've had at one time since we got here (4 years ago) was 50 cm, which is almost 2 feet. I've got some great pictures.

• Like 4

That's awesome! I am amazed at how much weight training has changed my body. I'm about 12 lbs above my smallest weight from last year and yet *all* of my skinniest clothes fit me perfectly right now. In some cases, they fit better than last year. I know I won't get down to last year's weight again simply because I have a lot more muscle. Not even sure what my final goal weight will be - I'll just play it by ear.

It sure helps to make good food, doesn't it? Last night I had a Whole 30 salmon recipe that I love and I paired that with Brussels sprouts in garlic cream sauce and then chia seed pudding for dessert. 

This tells you something about the changes in your body composition. Your weight is probably higher because you have more muscle mass than last year. Muscle is more dense and weighs more than adipose tissue (fat). So you may want to adjust your goal weight to take into account your new body composition. Mentally, you have to reprogram what "scale weight" means and don't stress about a larger number. 

• Like 4

I'm in Newfoundland and we get big dumps of snow. Plus, much crazy wind so the drifts are often much higher. I think the most we've had at one time since we got here (4 years ago) was 50 cm, which is almost 2 feet. I've got some great pictures.

It always blows my mind the amount of snow the Maritime provinces can get in late winter. We may have a lot still lying on the ground, but we rarely get the huge dumps that you guys get. That wind on "the rock" is famous across the country! I'm sure it's a completely different wind than the prairies get - more moist and bitter. Though the dry, cold winds are brutal as well. Canada has some very humbling climates. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

YES! I reset my goals by size for the same reason. MMM! Recipes???? 

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

I went to the Y yesterday evening and rode the stationary recumbant bike for an hour.  It was a mixed blessing. I was able to pedal without foot pain but having to adjust my foot placement on the pedal caused my knee and hip to hurt at the 10 mile mark. I also did some back extensions and some work with a medicine ball. No pain with either of those exercises. I cannot squat though. I am not able to balance properly and was either falling to the front or the right side. I am thrilled that the swelling is almost gone and I was able to adjust the ortho shoe a bit tighter. I hope to be able to wear a regular shoe by Sunday.  I slept well last night and didn't wake up with any foot pain. Yay!! I awoke in a non-forced cheerful mood. I have a light morning babysitting a sick child and then it's off to work and a workout at some point.

I really should speak to the athletic trainers and get their opinions but I don't want to take advantage of a work relationship.

I am also quite proud of myself for not eating sugar! There has been a basket of candy at work that I walk by multiple times a day. I have not taken any and there are some good chocolates in that basket. It's been tough since sugar and chips are my go tos for quick comfort. Even at home, I am managing. I had mandarin oranges last night instead of candy.

--

Congrats to those who are seeing success - weight loss, smaller pant sizes.

To those going on vacation - these last few days of prep work are the worst. Stick with your plan and you will be successful and find full enjoyment of your 'prize'.

To those of us who are in the cold, snow, and ice zones - we, too, will reap our reward soon. Spring is just around the corner.

Persist, ladies, persist!!

• Like 8

YES! I reset my goals by size for the same reason. MMM! Recipes???? 

This is the salmon recipe. I've probably made it ten times now. Everyone in the family loves it, even the ones who aren't really keen on fish. http://meljoulwan.com/2010/05/06/moroccan-grilled-salmon/ 

This is the Brussels sprouts recipe: https://cafedelites.com/creamy-garlic-parmesan-brussels-sprouts-bacon/ 

I leave out the corn starch and I cook mine differently. I cut the Brussels in quarters and cut raw bacon into small pieces and toss both on a baking sheet. I bake them at 375 until the Brussels are soft. Meanwhile, I make the sauce in a pan. When the Brussels are ready, I put them in a bowl and pour the sauce over them. I left out the mozzarella as well - just did it with parmesan. I've made this recipe twice now - once with bacon and last night without. 

Chia seed pudding is my new favourite dessert. I use this recipe: https://lowcarbyum.com/simple-chia-seed-vanilla-pudding/ Last night I had it with caramel extract instead of vanilla. So good. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t post here very often, but had a question and thought yĂ¢â‚¬â„¢all would be the ones to ask. I like running and that is my main form of exercise. I know I need to add in strength training, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure whether I should be adding things like Jillian Michaels training- which is lower weight- more reps- or if I should be lifting Ă¢â‚¬Å“heavyĂ¢â‚¬. My only concern is not the heavier weights (I have a weight set), but that since I work out at home I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t truly Ă¢â‚¬Å“lift heavyĂ¢â‚¬ because I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have a spotter. Any thoughts?

• Like 4

Hi everyone, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t post here very often, but had a question and thought yĂ¢â‚¬â„¢all would be the ones to ask. I like running and that is my main form of exercise. I know I need to add in strength training, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure whether I should be adding things like Jillian Michaels training- which is lower weight- more reps- or if I should be lifting Ă¢â‚¬Å“heavyĂ¢â‚¬. My only concern is not the heavier weights (I have a weight set), but that since I work out at home I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t truly Ă¢â‚¬Å“lift heavyĂ¢â‚¬ because I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have a spotter. Any thoughts?

Hello!

I think on the lifting it is up to you.

Whether or not I'd be concerned going "heavy" depends on the exercise. If you are doing goblet squats there isn't much risk, the weight isn't over your head or anything. 

Shoulder presses even wouldn't concern me, you could drop them to the side if you fail. 

Deadlifts, yet again, no biggie drop it if it is too much. 

Lunges- again if it is too much you could drop them too the side, no need for a spot.

I was nervous to start back again and go heavier but it has been slow and steady it hasn't really been scary at all.

The only thing I do that I would be the least concerned about is the bench press but I use the power rack and have been known to holler at a random guy to spot me.

But you have to do what you are comfortable with and enjoy

• Like 3

This is the salmon recipe. I've probably made it ten times now. Everyone in the family loves it, even the ones who aren't really keen on fish. http://meljoulwan.com/2010/05/06/moroccan-grilled-salmon/ 

This is the Brussels sprouts recipe: https://cafedelites.com/creamy-garlic-parmesan-brussels-sprouts-bacon/ 

I leave out the corn starch and I cook mine differently. I cut the Brussels in quarters and cut raw bacon into small pieces and toss both on a baking sheet. I bake them at 375 until the Brussels are soft. Meanwhile, I make the sauce in a pan. When the Brussels are ready, I put them in a bowl and pour the sauce over them. I left out the mozzarella as well - just did it with parmesan. I've made this recipe twice now - once with bacon and last night without. 

Chia seed pudding is my new favourite dessert. I use this recipe: https://lowcarbyum.com/simple-chia-seed-vanilla-pudding/ Last night I had it with caramel extract instead of vanilla. So good. 

Thank you, I've not made chia pudding in forever.

• Like 1

Lifting done, woot!

I *did* up my squats!

I tried to up my bench press but just couldn't do it.

Pull-ups- UGH- I'm going to back up and do another prep for this I'm just feeling discouraged. 

On the plus side my right hip has been giving me fits (I had an episode with it in the fall and never have regained the flexibility that I had) BUT stretching tonight after my lifts I had much great ROM, so maybe with some work it will get back to normal.

• Like 3

And... yesterday marked 4 wks of tracking food/calories

12 wks lifting

That is hard to believe those rough 3 months are becoming a more distant memory

This morning I put on a bra that had been tight when I bought it. I realized I've only worn it once because it was uncomfortable, today it feels fine :)

Tomorrow I get to go lift with my friend, I can't wait!!!

eta

Oh, and I actually made some goals for the month for lifting. 

My long term goals are to Deadlift 1.5x my weight and squat and bench 1x my weight but I've got to get there. I think I could push more on the squat, the lift makes me more nervous though. The bench will be the hardest.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

I'm going for a walk or snowshoe with a friend while the boys play shinny hockey this afternoon. The snow is pretty wet as it's not very cold. Makes it more challenging to snowshoe as the snow sticks to the snowshoes and to the bottom of the boots. It's adds an extra dimension to a normally pretty tame form of exercise. ;)  I ended up jogging with my snowshoes yesterday as the snow build-up was easier to handle that way. It was a good work-out!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I was going through my journal, and realized that in March I had only 2 days when I was at the normal energy level. Most other days I am just functioning. I still did my exercises and whatever else I needed to do, but it was an effort every single time. And my mood is matching. I wouldn't call it depression, but definitely below normal. Meh. My food and sleep are fine, so I blame it on hormones this cycle. That and rain. Of course, it is supposed to be raining or at least be cloudy for the next week. And I asked my son to make a video of me fencing. Let's just say that watching it didn't lift my spirits. I tried to move a little more yesterday while fencing, but I just physically couldn't, I felt so exhausted. Also, after skipping my whole body workout for two weeks or so, my back started hurting again. Fencing is very asymmetrical, so half of my lower back muscles are tight, and the other side is stretched, which probably pulls something out of alignment. Any good exercises for strengthening that area and just improving blood flow there?

• Like 2

I went for 2 snowshoe hikes today; one by myself in my regular Sat am woods walk, and the second with a tennis friend in a wooded area near home. We did a little on-trail work to make a shorter loop as she is playing a tennis match this afternoon. We had to save her legs for the tennis. ;) 

I get to go to a classical guitar concert tonight with my 2 guitar-playing sons. It's their teacher and they are really pumped to see him perform music from his new CD. I'm pumped, too! It should be a lot of fun. I love the repertoire he'll be playing - we already own the CD and have been listening to the pieces all week. I need a little extra time to prep so that I can really enjoy the pieces. It takes me a few times listening to really appreciate all the nuances of the music. 

• Like 2

Congrats to your son wintermom, that is cool, I bet you'll have a blast.

A friend asked for a workout partner so I went to work out with her. She has a PF membership that lets you bring your friends for free. There was some really cool stuff, the weight stuff sucked, not even 1 squat rack. Like a big indoor monkey bar set and their pull-up assist machine was way better, plus they had bands you could use as well. We played around in there for 2 hrs!! I'm thinking I'm going to be sore tomorrow!!!(especially considering I already worked out this am) 

• Like 2

Congrats to your son wintermom, that is cool, I bet you'll have a blast.

It wasn't my son performing, though the 12 year old did deserve a congrats for sitting still and being quiet during all the pieces!  :laugh:  There were a few children and adults who struggled with this. My dc couldn't understand the adult's poor concert behaviour at all. My dc have had a lot of experience on developing concert etiquette and "listening endurance" necessary, thank goodness. They are now capable of sitting right up at the front without distracting others, after many years of sitting at the back. ;)

• Like 3

Dh has unfortunately ended up working late so much this week that heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been my absentee workout partner. I get it, he has to sleep and all. Plus, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not like he can just ignore the drunk driver. Sometimes it stinks when all of the olans have to change. It is what it is.

Since Friday was out and I had a lot of driving kids places things to do, I took yesterday as a rest day. I figure since this is the last week in the Ă¢â‚¬Å“off season,Ă¢â‚¬ might as well go for it. Then today we were supposed to go for a run and do some strength training, but since he worked 16 hours and still needed to sleep (see also: drunk driver), I decided to run outside. Ran 5 miles. It was lovely.

Monday starts the training plan for the half-marathon in May and I will probably run 8 miles tomorrow.

• Like 3

Good morning~

I haven't been doing much these past few days except watching a lot of ST: TNG or working (desk work). My foot has developed some new issues and I'm thinking about going for a second opinion. My foot falls asleep fairly easy and the numbness radiates upward. I attempted to take a country drive yesterday and my foot fell asleep withing 5 mins of driving. Luckily, I had a friend with me and we pulled over and she took over driving duties. I realize the bone fragment is sitting on the nerve but the numbness is a bit disconcerting. I have been really good about wearing the cheap ortho shoe they gave me at the ER and haven't attempted another shoe yet. I think I will today. The good news is the mobility of the joint is back and I can move my toes. It is painful but they move.

I have been overeating the last two days. I bought a bag of chips and have been eating them while I watch TNG. I have not had sugar, though, and I am quite proud of myself for not giving in to those cravings. 

My plan today is to count calories, vacuum the floors, do some laundry, and at least try to get some exercise. Tomorrow is an all day training at work and I know I won't do much more than sit at a conference table. If I can put on a good shoe, I'll take my dog for a walk.

I must persist.

• Like 5

Continuing half training with beach body workouts. And, and doing happy dance, smaller bathing suit fit. I have not been this fit since my 30's and I have had interest in wearing a bikini, is it wrong to wear one if your 50 and a mother of 4?

• Like 7

My run was cancelled yesterday because we ended up with about 15cm of snow. I went today on my own and ran 14.2 km. The weather was great. It was 2 celsius and there was no wind. Unfortunately, none of the sidewalks were cleared so I had to run on the road the whole way, but people here are used to pedestrians out on the road so it wasn't a big deal. 

• Like 6

I went back to My Fitness Pal today after taking off most of the last two weeks since I was obviously not eating too much when I was sick. I'm sure I also wasn't getting enough fiber and protein a lot of those days. My weight is creeping back up, so time to get back to real life. Still can't breathe through my nose and still draining lots of snot, but on the mend.

• Like 4

My run was cancelled yesterday because we ended up with about 15cm of snow. I went today on my own and ran 14.2 km. The weather was great. It was 2 celsius and there was no wind. Unfortunately, none of the sidewalks were cleared so I had to run on the road the whole way, but people here are used to pedestrians out on the road so it wasn't a big deal. 

That's a really decent dump of snow! I'd love some of it for skiing. We got a couple inches, and it's still on the ground. I'm going to try doing more skiing tomorrow morning while it's still cold.

Great job on the run! 

• Like 4

I went for a short ski with dd and the dog at the park in the neighbourhood. Then I snowshoed to Sunday dinner at my mil's place. There's a series of fields most of the way there (in the form of a golf course in the summer). In the winter, the fairways are good for skiing and snowshoeing and there are some nice rolling hills for sledding. The golf course is considered "green space" for the community, though you have to pay to golf on it during the season. 

I'm consuming large quantities of sugar in the form of home-made maple syrup and taffy. It's so good!!! I'm focusing on the home-made goodness of the delicious treat. I think I actually overdosed a little because my stomach got a little cramped up. That's a clear signal to stop eating the stuff. ;) 

• Like 4

Yesterday was lazy and I'm surpringly barely sore after all that work Sat, woot!

In a moment of perhaps insanity I told my Mom if she signed up I'd go with her, she is only looking at going 2x a week.

She's struggled since she broke her ankle a foot and a half a go, it required major surgery and took a long while to recover.

Couple that downtime w/ my dad taking over cooking and being offended if she didn't eat all he served her she put on some weight.

Dad says he'll work-out with her but never does and right now she needs some motivation.

I remember when 18 yrs ago I'd put on 30ish pounds from Depo Provera she was my work-out partner (she was about my age now- funny to think).

We'll see if she signs up or not, I'm not sure what I'll do there at depends on when she schedules it.

Today is a busy one. I hope to get a walk.

Continuing half training with beach body workouts. And, and doing happy dance, smaller bathing suit fit. I have not been this fit since my 30's and I have had interest in wearing a bikini, is it wrong to wear one if your 50 and a mother of 4?

I say wear what you feel like wearing, you should be proud of all your hard work and you have just as much right to wear a bikini as anyone else.

I was going through my journal, and realized that in March I had only 2 days when I was at the normal energy level. Most other days I am just functioning. I still did my exercises and whatever else I needed to do, but it was an effort every single time. And my mood is matching. I wouldn't call it depression, but definitely below normal. Meh. My food and sleep are fine, so I blame it on hormones this cycle. That and rain. Of course, it is supposed to be raining or at least be cloudy for the next week. And I asked my son to make a video of me fencing. Let's just say that watching it didn't lift my spirits. I tried to move a little more yesterday while fencing, but I just physically couldn't, I felt so exhausted. Also, after skipping my whole body workout for two weeks or so, my back started hurting again. Fencing is very asymmetrical, so half of my lower back muscles are tight, and the other side is stretched, which probably pulls something out of alignment. Any good exercises for strengthening that area and just improving blood flow there?

(hugs) You were brave to watch the video, we are our own worst critics. I'm sorry you aren't feeling well :( Stupid hormones. I'm a little assymetrical and have found weight training to be helpful for me b/c it does push me to work both sides at once, I have to keep the weight to what I can do with good form, which is what my weaker side can handle. With bodyweight work even I'd compensate with my good side. Something I've read about for scoliosis is doing side planks only on the weaker side, but that is only addressing the core. This must be a common problem for fencers though, what is the usual thing done for cross training? 

I went back to My Fitness Pal today after taking off most of the last two weeks since I was obviously not eating too much when I was sick. I'm sure I also wasn't getting enough fiber and protein a lot of those days. My weight is creeping back up, so time to get back to real life. Still can't breathe through my nose and still draining lots of snot, but on the mend.

Gald you are getting better!!!

• Like 4

dressed for the gym....grumble

Awesome! Getting dressed for the gym is half the battle. That's something I started doing - I know that if I don't do it early in the day then it doesn't get done at all, so I just get up in the morning and put on my gym clothes. I tell myself I have to workout before I shower and get dressed. It seems to make it a little easier to actually get a workout in.

And I had the best workout at home today! This is progress because I'd much rather be at the gym. I started with a warm up - running on the treadmill - and I ended up running for just over an hour. That was - by far - the longest I've ever spent on a treadmill. I was listening to old 90's songs from my teens ;) 

Then I did my weights. I'm not a huge fan of the bowflex, but I'm getting used to it. I did leg press and lat pull downs on the bowflex and I did incline bench press with dumb bells and bicep curls along with some glute bridges with a band and another ab exercise. Feeling great today. 

• Like 5

I did my full body workout yesterday. I don't really feel the difference between my two sides, maybe my right arm is a bit stronger, but everything else feels pretty even. I just hope that it is enough, if I do it regularly. My core is pretty strong, I think, it just needs actual movement. It is the worst after prolonged sitting.

My mood is down again. Honestly, if not for the kids, I would have stayed home tonight, but since I am going to drive them, might as well fence.

• Like 4

So.... I did join Planet Fitness to work out with my Mom and I liked some of their equipment and I thought it was a nice treat for myself since I've been working consistently.

I guess we are going to workout Tues/Thurs am. I think my plan is to do my pull-up work there because they have TRX straps set-up, a pull-up assist that actually works, and assist bands. Then I'll do lower weights higher reps full body stuff and do my heavy lifting in the afternoon. Today we did squats, lunges, shoulder and chest presses, inverted rows, hang and plank for time, and knee raises. She liked it all and felt she got a good work-out, it was challenging but not enough so she couldn't do it, so just right. 

Energy wise I'm feeling great but my period is due this weekend and that will knock me down a bit.

My right shoulder is nagging me a bit (the one that was hurting before but had been good lately), I think it was from dumbbell presses the other day, that isn't a good exercise for me, I need to keep it to barbell.

Tonight is squats and bench press. I might do some MovNat stuff while I'm there too (if I don't feel too embarrassed to crawl around!).

And my hips and waist are measuring at my goal. I really want to weigh but I'm trying to hold out, I'm really hoping that by the time I weigh again I'll be past my sticky point. I'd planned to keep with my current plan until our swim party, things are going well and it has been pretty painless so I think I'll continue on, that is 4 wks out from now. I had also set my original goals conservatively because I finally decided that I was ok if I wasn't able to get any smaller (that's the way it usually goes!). 

I did my full body workout yesterday. I don't really feel the difference between my two sides, maybe my right arm is a bit stronger, but everything else feels pretty even. I just hope that it is enough, if I do it regularly. My core is pretty strong, I think, it just needs actual movement. It is the worst after prolonged sitting.

My mood is down again. Honestly, if not for the kids, I would have stayed home tonight, but since I am going to drive them, might as well fence.

(hugs) That is a good sign that you feel even.

Awesome! Getting dressed for the gym is half the battle. That's something I started doing - I know that if I don't do it early in the day then it doesn't get done at all, so I just get up in the morning and put on my gym clothes. I tell myself I have to workout before I shower and get dressed. It seems to make it a little easier to actually get a workout in.

And I had the best workout at home today! This is progress because I'd much rather be at the gym. I started with a warm up - running on the treadmill - and I ended up running for just over an hour. That was - by far - the longest I've ever spent on a treadmill. I was listening to old 90's songs from my teens ;)

Then I did my weights. I'm not a huge fan of the bowflex, but I'm getting used to it. I did leg press and lat pull downs on the bowflex and I did incline bench press with dumb bells and bicep curls along with some glute bridges with a band and another ab exercise. Feeling great today. 

Sounds like a great workout. I got busy talking on the treadmill and went 45 seconds over and was impressed with myself :)

Edited by soror
  • Like 3