Menu

Clover Valley Chemistry registration is open

http://www.clovervalleychemistry.com/registration-and-pricing/

(Thought a parallel thread would be fun.)

No idea how many spots are left, but if you are looking for a chemistry class next year, our very own Dicentra is offering a regular or honors class. She is also offering Organic chem as a separate class. Details at the link at the top of my post.

• Like 2

Well, I set the alarm on my phone and dragged myself up at 12 and registered dd for honors.  Chemistry is **the** course I really, really (not enough reallys) dislike.  I always find it humorous that dh is a chemE; I raised a chemE; that physics ds love chem; etc.  I have obviously been able to keep my very strong dislike of chemistry from being transmitted to my kids.  But, YAY, I am more than happy not to have to teach it next yr.   It was worth the sleep-sacrifice.   :lol:

• Like 9

Agreeing with 8 - now that we're in, I can say it was worth dragging my carcass out of the bed!  But hoo boy did I oversleep this morning ... DS will be happy for a shorter day, I'm sure.

I couldn't fall back asleep, and then I still had to get up and drive my Aspie to work at 7.  And my 3 younger dd's all have physicals this morning and we have to leave shortly.  Definitely going to be a day of low productivity.

• Like 2

You guys are awesome for staying up! :party:

Full disclosure...  I'm starting to think the midnight registration opening sounded like a much better idea in my head than it turned out to be in reality. :D  I finally tumbled into bed around 3am CST (4am EST) after making sure that invoices were sent, all emails were sent and answered, and everything seemed to be OK.

I may have slept in a little this morning... ;)

And yes - everyone registered so far is in Honors Chem. :)  I shifted spots over from the other two courses after it started to look like Honors would be the choice of most.  Right now, it's about a 50/50 split between students indicating a Monday class preference vs. a Thursday class preference so I will run both.  Students don't need to attend both, though, and can attend either class in any given week depending on what fits their schedule better.  I'll also have a continuous forum for students to connect in that will be run through Black Board (the course delivery platform) so students can get to know each other both in live classes and on that forum.  And get to know me, as well. :)

• Like 7

I would like to register DD12 for regular Chem but I am having trouble with the registration.  I can't fill in PDFs online and my scanner is being iffy.  If there's another way to register I'd like to (assuming you get more students for the regular option!).  Otherwise it might take a couple of days while I fiddle with the scanner.

• Like 1

I would like to register DD12 for regular Chem but I am having trouble with the registration.  I can't fill in PDFs online and my scanner is being iffy.  If there's another way to register I'd like to (assuming you get more students for the regular option!).  Otherwise it might take a couple of days while I fiddle with the scanner.

If you like, you can print off the form, fill it in by hand, and then take a picture of each page and email me the pictures.  That should work just fine. :)

I originally had the form posted in Word format but started to realize last night, after receiving a few, that the formatting wasn't holding well so I changed it over to PDF format late last night.  If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you the Word version of the form and you can fill that out instead of the PDF.  Or take pics of the hand-filled-out PDF.  Which ever works better for you. :)

I don't have a camera or smartphone either, hah :)  We are very low-tech. 

I will totally PM you for the word version, though.  Hopefully I can edit that and save it in google docs :)  sorry to be difficult!

Not at all!  My DH still has a flip phone and I don't have a smart phone (we only have cell phones at all because we live rural and wanted to be able to phone for help if we ended up stranded some winter night on a back road when it's -40C :) ).

Off to answer your PM...

• Like 1

Nope, I am running out of boys, my youngest son is currently taking chem through Wilson Hill.  He is mulling over the organic chem class for 12th grade though.

:hurray:  Have I mentioned that I love - LOVE - teaching organic chemistry?? :D  I love teaching chemistry in general but I puffy-heart-love organic.  It was my specialty within my major and there's so little of it taught in intro chem courses.  Although...  Folks may have noticed that I'm including a bit of organic chemistry (and probably a bit of biochemistry) in both the Reg and Honors Chem courses.  It's the chemistry of food, living things, and virtually every material in our homes.  It deserves to be recognized. :)

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, are there any spots left? 

That is the burning question, isn't it. Did we need to get up? :lol:

Well... :)  I'm quite a bit over my initial offering of 10 spots for Honors Chem but that's because I moved spots over from the other courses when I started to realize that Honors Chem seemed to be the course everyone was wanting.  If I don't have any sign-ups for the other courses, I can move a few more spots over.  If I had stuck with my original 10 spots, though, Honors Chem would have been full 15 minutes after I opened registration.  That, quite frankly, shocked and humbled me.  For a first-time offering with the only advertising being on this forum, I'm truly grateful and humbled by the response.  The Hive (and SWB for allowing members to list their own courses even though we're in direct competition with WTMA) are the best.  EVER. :)

• Like 7

That is the burning question, isn't it. Did we need to get up? :lol:

We are on the west coast, but I dosed off last night only to be shaken violently by a phone alarm screeching straight into my left ear at 9 PM sharp. Boy am I glad I set an alarm. I didn’t think I would need it being on the west coast. :)

• Like 3

I don't think you are in direct competition with WTMA. 

WTMA does not offer organic chemistry and the set-up of their classes is different (they require in class participation and group projects).  They also need to read an approved text and write a summary and analysis of the book.  That to me sounds like an English assignment, not chemistry.  From what I can see, there is no Honors Chem and the textbook is "Conceptual Chemistry" by Suchocki.  I happen to love Chang and like Zumdahl (I have no experience with Timberlake).  WTMA has two lectures and the labs are not part of the course anymore.

For mostly those reasons, I did not consider WTMA chemistry.  I have no doubt it is a good class in the context of a classical curriculum but we are a STEM oriented household.  We have ventured into the realms of something like "philosophy/religion and science" or "science in society" but those were extra rabbit trails outside of class.  Biographies of scientists are interesting (I have a secret love affair with Marie Curie) but again do not belong into a science class in my opinion.

I have no problem with a research paper but prefer deeper and more detailed  analysis of lab reports in lieu of research papers at that level.  My daughter learns a lot from failed experiments; I think more so than she would from writing a paper.

• Like 4

I agree. WTMA Math/science is really its own thing. We would never consider their chem given the choice of text and writing assignments. While their setup and choice of texts/assignments works for many people, it isn’t for everybody.

I am so glad to see you offering this course with Chang text. I don’t know what we would have done otherwise.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

I don't think you are in direct competition with WTMA. 

WTMA does not offer organic chemistry and the set-up of their classes is different (they require in class participation and group projects).  They also need to read an approved text and write a summary and analysis of the book.  That to me sounds like an English assignment, not chemistry.  From what I can see, there is no Honors Chem and the textbook is "Conceptual Chemistry" by Suchocki.  I happen to love Chang and like Zumdahl (I have no experience with Timberlake).  WTMA has two lectures and the labs are not part of the course anymore.

For mostly those reasons, I did not consider WTMA chemistry.  I have no doubt it is a good class in the context of a classical curriculum but we are a STEM oriented household.  We have ventured into the realms of something like "philosophy/religion and science" or "science in society" but those were extra rabbit trails outside of class.  Biographies of scientists are interesting (I have a secret love affair with Marie Curie) but again do not belong into a science class in my opinion.

I have no problem with a research paper but prefer deeper and more detailed  analysis of lab reports in lieu of research papers at that level.  My daughter learns a lot from failed experiments; I think more so than she would from writing a paper.

I agree. WTMA Math/science is really its own thing. We would never consider their chem given the choice of text and writing assignments. They have even managed to take AOPS out of AOPS in their math courses. While their setup and choice of texts/assignments works for many people, it isn’t for everybody.

I am so glad to see you offering this course with Chang text. I don’t know what we would have done otherwise.

Interesting comparisons, for sure.  I used to teach a "Science in Society" course years ago when I was still a public high school teacher and it was a fantastic course - very much about philosophy combined with the science issues of the day.  Someday, I'd like to offer something like that to homeschoolers.  But not yet. :)  I've got to walk before I can run. :D  And I'm still groggy after my 3am bedtime last night.  And I have a choral group practice tonight.  And we're working on the barbershop arrangement of "Crabbuckit" that GQ has done in past.  Which is very up-tempo.  I think I need more caffeine.  And chocolate.  And water to try to hydrate my vocal chords to get rid of the late-night scratchies in my voice. :)

Edited to add:

This is GQ doing "Crabbuckit".  It is SO much fun. :)  I contacted the girls to ask who the arranger was so that we could get permission to perform and pay for the arrangement and for copyright and Amanda was so kind and got back to me right away so I could connect with the arranger.  The group is from North Carolina, I think.  If only my group could even begin to approach this level of professionalism, I'd be ecstatic.  We'll keep working on it. :)

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 3

I agree. WTMA Math/science is really its own thing. We would never consider their chem given the choice of text and writing assignments. They have even managed to take AOPS out of AOPS in their math courses. While their setup and choice of texts/assignments works for many people, it isn’t for everybody.

Can you elaborate on this?

• Like 1

Stayed up late here too. DD is SO EXCITED! She wanted to be a biologist after biology. She is taking Jetta's Physics class and absolutely loves it. Now, she wants to be an astrophysicist. So, maybe next year it will be a chemistry obsession! LOL

Darn these inspirational teachers, DD is changing her name to Amy Barr when she turns 18. Nothing as grand as being a classics major but still rather jaw dropping. Middle schooler identity crisis, I think, I hope.

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 5

Nope, I am running out of boys, my youngest son is currently taking chem through Wilson Hill.  He is mulling over the organic chem class for 12th grade though.

I’ll have to ask my oldest after his AP chem exam and SAT Chemistry subject test are over. He won’t be able to decide now whether he wants more chemistry.

How do you even make that happen? (Or why would you want to is even a better question??)

There is two sessions of 1hr class per week but students are having trouble understanding so many times, the teacher kind heartedly add on study sessions. For 2018/19, the AoPS class will have three sessions per week instead of two. I don’t think there is a class forum as well so kids can’t collaborate online to discuss homework. My older kid ends up “tutoring†my younger kid when he is free because my younger kid gets frustrated. I am okay with younger kid dropping the class but he wants to just sit it out. It is a bigger time and energy drain for him then the AoPS format. Also the teacher sends out many emails and my younger kid gets email anxiety/frustration and feels nagged by the teacher. My older boy is the kind that is unfazed by emails so the same emails won’t have affect him the way it affects my younger boy.
  • Like 1

Darn these inspirational teachers, DD is changing her name to Amy Barr when she turns 18. Nothing as grand as being a classics major but still rather jaw dropping. Middle schooler identity crisis, I think, I hope.

Uh oh.  There might be another Amy Barr running around after my kid turns 18.  The bar (get the pun?!?!) was set very high early in dd's online class-taking time.

We signed up for Thursday but that is mostly because I had not even thought about it and that is what I picked at midnight.  I don't do well after 9pm.....

• Like 2