Menu

Do Jacobs Alg 1 & Geometry prepare students for SAT?

No. Eta, no I don't think that's true. Choose the texts that teach algebra and geom the best for your student.

There may be a topic or two you'd want to add -- for example, last November's PSAT included a question on standard deviation. The SAT usually has a question involving the equation for a circle.

Pearson/Prentice Hall are not known for high-quality word problems.

You absolutely should do specific SAT prep no matter what math text you use!

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

There are a lot of word problems on the new SAT--so many that I would argue that it is as much a test of reading as it is of math--and I would say that Jacobs Algebra doesn't dwell as much on word problems as the newer texts do.  But what it does stress is more important IMO than what the newer texts stress (which seems to be making students do word problems for everything all the time even if they haven't mastered the underlying concept yet).  I personally think that Jacobs Algebra is a work of genius.

There is very little geometry on the new SAT.  Jacobs Geometry would prepare a student just fine.

Foerster is known for good word problems, so I don't see how that would be an issue.

• Like 4

My son did the Jacobs + Jacobs + Foerster sequence and is now doing BC Calc (he's doing it at home, but my husband teaches BC calc in a public school, so he's following the same curriculum as that). He takes the SAT next month, so we'll see, but he's doing very well on his practice tests on Khan. My husband says that the older books won't prepare them for the statistics on the SAT, but I don't think it's anything that can't be covered easily with some basic SAT prep. We're big Jacobs fans here and wouldn't change it even if it means doing a little extra test prep. Just asked DS, and he says the statistics on the SAT is pretty easy and he's had no trouble picking it up doing Khan Academy prep. 

• Like 2