Menu

After talking to college admissions - are APs even worth the work?

Sorry to return to the thread hijack, but for Jazzy and anyone else following the discussion of Texas automatic admission, I received the following information from the homeschool admissions counselor at UT Austin:

"Thanks for reaching out to me, I’m happy to help. In regards to your question, no, it is not possible for a homeschool student to qualify for automatic admission. In order to qualify for automatic admission, you must attend a ranking institution with enough students to put a student within the top 7% (i.e., 1/15.) The assigned rank is just an estimated number based on a students test scores compared to the average scores of students who have applied in the past, and we are able to see that is not a true rank within our review process.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help!"

TREVOR PARTNEY, Coordinator for Technology Communication Initiatives

The University of Texas at Austin  |  Office of Admissions |  512-475-7499  |  admissions.utexas.edu

So it seems that while other Texas state schools such as Texas A&M, Texas Tech and UT Dallas have a way to allow homeschoolers to qualify for automatic admission, UT Austin does not allow it.

Also, UT publishes the middle 50% test scores for their auto admits on their website, which I will post here anyway:

• Middle 50% SAT Score: 1160 – 1390 (out of 1600)
    • Texas Students Automatically Admitted: 1140 – 1370
    • Texas Students Not Automatically Admitted: 1200 – 1410
    • Out-of-State Students: 1250 – 1440
    • International Students: 1190 – 1440
  • Middle 50% ACT Score: 26 – 33
    • Texas Students Automatically Admitted: 25 – 32
    • Texas Students Not Automatically Admitted: 28 – 33
    • Out-of-State Students: 29 – 33
    • International Students: 27 – 32
  • Like 4

Thank you for sharing that info! It is nice to have some clarity on this issue.

Since autoadmits take up 75% of the freshman class, we’ll have to compete for the remaining 25%. I wonder what the acceptance rate is for the non autoadmit spots. I tried googling, but couldn’t find it.

Ds had a homeschool friend recentlly admitted to UT so it can be done!

• Like 1

Apparently UT doesn't follow the same auto admit guidelines as other schools in texas and I think I had read about that somewhere else. (I will try to find where and return to this post. ) on the other hand, Tech admission provided me with a form titled "Texas Private High School Certification Admission to a Texas Public University" TPHSC Form-3. (Edited: found the link for this form--

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/8997.PDF?CFID=74642329&CFTOKEN=35308719

I believe it's worth reading for Texas people. My children

haven't decided where they want to attend but I'm keeping this handy as it applies, I believe after reading it, to the majority of universities.

Edited by momof2cowboys
  • Like 1

Ahhh I found it- it's in the TEC :

(a-1) Beginning with admissions for the 2011-2012 academic year, The University of Texas at Austin is not required to offer admission to applicants who qualify for automatic admission under Subsection (a) in excess of the number required to fill 75 percent of the university's enrollment capacity designated for first-time resident undergraduate students in an academic year. If the number of applicants who qualify for automatic admission to The University of Texas at Austin under Subsection (a) for an academic year exceeds 75 percent of the university's enrollment capacity designated for first-time resident undergraduate students for that academic year, the university may elect to offer admission to those applicants as provided by this subsection and not as otherwise required by Subsection (a). If the university elects to offer admission under this subsection, the university shall offer admission to those applicants by percentile rank according to high school graduating class standing based on grade point average, beginning with the top percentile rank, until the applicants qualified under Subsection (a) have been offered admission in the number estimated in good faith by the university as sufficient to fill 75 percent of the university's enrollment capacity designated for first-time resident undergraduate students, except that the university must offer admission to all applicants with the same percentile rank. After the applicants qualified for automatic admission under Subsection (a) have been offered admission under this subsection in the number estimated in good faith as sufficient to fill 75 percent of the designated enrollment capacity described by this subsection, the university shall consider any remaining applicants qualified for automatic admission under Subsection (a) in the same manner as other applicants for admission as first-time undergraduate students in accordance with Section 51.805.

• Like 1

I wonder what the acceptance rate is for the non autoadmit spots.

A few years ago I asked this at a homeschool college fair and was told 14%. More recently, in a Kindle book published last year by a former UT admissions person, "Your Ticket to the Forty Acres," he says 12%. 

That's for non-auto admit Texas residents, not including OOS or international.

Edited by bctnln1059
  • Like 1

A few years ago I asked this at a homeschool college fair and was told 14%. More recently, in a Kindle book published last year by a former UT admissions person, "Your Ticket to the Forty Acres," he says 12%.

That's for non-auto admit Texas residents, not including OOS or international.

Wow.

Was the Kindle book worth reading?