Menu

Hard or Soft Cover for Novels?

When you read a novel, which do you prefer?  I can't decide.  Soft covers are easier to hold but hard covers can be nice.  

Is there anything else you look for in a novel (other than content of course).  I wish everything was large print with my eyes ring how they are these days.  I guess hard cover novels tend to have bigger print maybe or some soft cover books have really tiny print.  I also love books with a built-in ribbon bookmark and books with very thick pages.  

I like good quality paperbacks--nice font size, decent paper. I can fit more of them on the shelves than if they were all hardbacks (not that I buy many--I mostly use the library), and if they're 300 pages or less they fit nicely on my treadmill tray so I can read while I walk.

• Like 1

I have to really, really want a book to buy a "real" copy. If it's not on Kindle I usually won't get it. My Kindle is much easier to hold than any "real" book, I can adjust the font exactly to my liking, and you can't beat the storage space. ;)

• Like 2

Depends on the book. Sometimes I prefer hard cover (certainly looks nicer on the shelf), sometimes I prefer a large soft cover, if I am traveling I prefer my Kindle. However, my Kindle is old and not fancy and has the e-ink technology that I prefer, that is no longer supported by my library. So I have learned to read on my phone rather than my beloved Kindle because I refuse to buy another one.

I rarely buy novels anymore, but use the library for all types of fiction.

Like Patty Joanna, for a classic that I'd want to keep forever and leave to my kids, I prefer hardcover.

I can't stand reading mass-market paperbacks. Those generally have cheap acid paper which makes my eyes sting. Maybe not so much anymore; it's been years since I tried to read one.  

Trade paperbacks are fine.  

Kindle.  :lol:

Back when I was still reading print versions instead of ebooks I preferred soft cover for a few reasons. 1. They're easier to hold. 2. They're lighter and easier to carry and I always take a book with me when I think I might end up with waiting times. 3. They cost less. 

Unless I'm dying to read a book and can't wait for the paperback version (rarely happens) or I want a book to display (again rarely happens), I would choose softcover. In reality the only time I read a print book is if I really, really want to read it and can't get a Kindle version. 

I'm posting again...I'm a big Kindle fan, for all the reasons mentioned above.  But I hardly ever buy a book even on Kindle anymore unless it is in the deal of the day/month/minute shop.  I check the books out from the library and don't even have to leave my house.  I have to be willing to read the book when it is available, but that's usually not a problem.

And there are some books that just will not work on Kindle.  At all.  History books with lots of maps; reference books; books that have text on one page and discussion questions on the facing page; books that have short essays interleaved or LOTS of footnotes--these, I get in the format that works for that particular book.  Some of them need to lie flat so I can read while I take notes; others can be trade paperback.

Yes to all of the above. I rarely buy books whether on Kindle or in print format. I just borrow them from the library. One advantage of bringing a Kindle library book with me to the doctor's office is I can't lose the library book. Granted, I could lose my Kindle, but the library will still have their book. ;)

I used to not buy cookbooks on Kindle but since I got a tablet I changed my rule. I can flip through a Kindle cookbook or magazine on my tablet easily. (I read novels on my Paperwhite but use the Kindle app on my tablet for any book with pictures or a book where I have to flip back and forth.)

Ds doesn't like his textbooks in electronic version. He can study better with a physical book in front of him.