Menu

Dulcolax/Miralax Colonoscopy Prep Question

Kassia

Can you call anyone to ask if it would be ok for you to go to Walmart and get some magnesium citrate? You usually have to take it twice, though, and I don’t know if there are enough hours between now and when you’re having the procedure to get two doses. But maybe you could take it once and drink a ton of liquids, and the combination of that plus the stuff you already took might be enough? I’m not sure.

I hope there is a doctor on call that you can talk to, so you’ll know what to do.

I’m so sorry the Dulcolax and miralax aren’t working.

Can you call anyone to ask if it would be ok for you to go to Walmart and get some magnesium citrate? You usually have to take it twice, though, and I don’t know if there are enough hours between now and when you’re having the procedure to get two doses. But maybe you could take it once and drink a ton of liquids, and the combination of that plus the stuff you already took might be enough? I’m not sure.

I hope there is a doctor on call that you can talk to, so you’ll know what to do.

I’m so sorry the Dulcolax and miralax aren’t working.

Thanks.  I did call the doctor on call early figuring it was better to call early than in the middle of the night.  He just told me to follow the original instructions and that's all I can do.  He wasn't a whole lot of help.  I just took the second dose and am hoping something happens.  If not, I guess I'll have to head to the hospital as planned and tell the nurse as soon as I get there.  

I hope the second dose worked! I would hate to think you went through the fasting and the prep (and all of the worrying that it wasn’t working!) for nothing. :grouphug:

Thanks so much for your support.  The second dose just kicked in (3 hours later and mild).  I called the hospital because I'm supposed to be there in an hour and they still want me to come in.  Ugh - I'm afraid they'll want to do an enema and then I still won't be prepped enough.  Should be a fun day.  

Thanks again.  It means a lot.  

• Like 1

Update:  They tried to do the colonoscopy but had to stop because the prep was so bad.  Next time it will be a two day prep.  And the doctor agrees that I have a twist in my colon and will probably need surgery (I asked for this last summer).  I am really sad and upset.  But I appreciate the support very much and it helps.  

ETA:  The doctor told me that the prep doesn't work in approx 1/175 people

Edited by Kassia

Update: They tried to do the colonoscopy but had to stop because the prep was so bad. Next time it will be a two day prep. And the doctor agrees that I have a twist in my colon and will probably need surgery (I asked for this last summer). I am really sad and upset. But I appreciate the support very much and it helps.

ETA: The doctor told me that the prep doesn't work in approx 1/175 people

I'm sorry it didn't go well! I completely forgot about your previous issue (An adhesion? Blockage? Or something similar?). That changes things.

Was this the same GI that treated you previously?

Update:  They tried to do the colonoscopy but had to stop because the prep was so bad.  Next time it will be a two day prep.  And the doctor agrees that I have a twist in my colon and will probably need surgery (I asked for this last summer).  I am really sad and upset.  But I appreciate the support very much and it helps.  

ETA:  The doctor told me that the prep doesn't work in approx 1/175 people

((((hugs))))) sorry it was such a horrible experience.  I hope your next one goes much easier. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry it didn't go well! I completely forgot about your previous issue (An adhesion? Blockage? Or something similar?). That changes things.

Was this the same GI that treated you previously?

I had a total blockage last year when my intestines twisted.  Ever since then I felt something wasn't right and asked the doctor to do the surgery but he wouldn't. 

((((hugs))))) sorry it was such a horrible experience.  I hope your next one goes much easier. 

Thanks.  I can't think about my "next one" today.  :(  

Update: They tried to do the colonoscopy but had to stop because the prep was so bad. Next time it will be a two day prep. And the doctor agrees that I have a twist in my colon and will probably need surgery (I asked for this last summer). I am really sad and upset. But I appreciate the support very much and it helps.

ETA: The doctor told me that the prep doesn't work in approx 1/175 people

That’s awful! :(

1 out of 175??? Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket because if you had that kind of bad luck, you’re due for some good luck, too!

When do you have to do it again?

That’s awful! :(

1 out of 175??? Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket because if you had that kind of bad luck, you’re due for some good luck, too!

When do you have to do it again?

I'm going to need a winning lottery ticket to pay for another procedure.  

I have to call about the next one but I can't deal with it today.  It was already so hard to get this one scheduled between DH's work schedule and dd's DE classes.  And the thought of doing another prep feels overwhelming to me right now.  

• Like 1

I’m so sorry. :( How stressful and annoying. Hugs to you. I hope the rest of your week is better.

Thank you.  

Now I'm kind of angry about the whole thing.  I called the hospital ahead of time to tell them I wasn't prepared for the procedure and they told me to come in anyway.  I told the nurse about the failed prep and she said she thought it would be okay.  I was also reassured by the doctor and the anesthesiologist that they would be able to do the colonoscopy (the anesthesiologist didn't even want me to use the restroom one last time before the procedure but I insisted).  I thought I should cancel but I had all these professionals telling me that it was okay and it wasn't and now I have to pay to have it repeated.  

• Like 1

Thank you.

Now I'm kind of angry about the whole thing. I called the hospital ahead of time to tell them I wasn't prepared for the procedure and they told me to come in anyway. I told the nurse about the failed prep and she said she thought it would be okay. I was also reassured by the doctor and the anesthesiologist that they would be able to do the colonoscopy (the anesthesiologist didn't even want me to use the restroom one last time before the procedure but I insisted). I thought I should cancel but I had all these professionals telling me that it was okay and it wasn't and now I have to pay to have it repeated.

Can you complain about it and see if you can at least get some kind of discount? You told multiple people (including the doctor!) that you were worried because the prep hadn’t worked, so shouldn’t it have been their responsibility to tell you to stay home?

Doctors and nurses most certainly know that if the prep didn’t work, they can’t do a colonoscopy. And even an enema won’t be enough because it only cleans out the lower portion of the colon.

They should NOT have had you come in. Personally, I don’t think you should be billed at all! It was their screw-up, not yours! It seems like they’re trying to pull a fast one.

Edited by Catwoman

Can you complain about it and see if you can at least get some kind of discount? You told multiple people (including the doctor!) that you were worried because the prep hadn’t worked, so shouldn’t it have been their responsibility to tell you to stay home?

Doctors and nurses most certainly know that if the prep didn’t work, they can’t do a colonoscopy. And even an enema won’t be enough because it only cleans out the lower portion of the colon.

They should NOT have had you come in. Personally, I don’t think you should be billed at all! It was their screw-up, not yours! It seems like they’re trying to pull a fast one.

I'm not sure who to complain to or if anyone would care.  I'll be charged by the doctor, anesthesiologist, and hospital (all who told me it would be okay).  I'm going to call my insurance today and see how a second screening will be handled but I can't imagine they will cover it.  

I agree they should not have had me come in.  I wish I had insisted on canceling but it was hard to do that when I had professionals telling me to go ahead with it.  Of course, they weren't paying for it.