Menu

Dulcolax/Miralax Colonoscopy Prep Question

Kassia

I'm having my first colonoscopy done on Monday (along with endoscopy).  My doctor prescribed a prep that was expensive and involved drinking a lot of fluids so, after reading this board, I asked if I could use the Dulcolax/Miralax prep and he said that would be fine.  But I don't know how many Dulcolax to take.  The link I sent him said take 2-4.  I don't want to take too many and I don't want to not take enough.  Can anyone share what they did for their own prep or their instructions for future prep?

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I just found my instructions from my October endoscopy/colonoscopy as I was getting tax papers out.

Mine says:

1) Clear liquids only day before procedure.

2) At 1pm, take 2 Dulcolax tablets by mouth.

3) At 2pm, mix bottle of Miralax with water/gatorade/not soda

4) Drink an 8oz. glass every 15 minutes until the solution is gone.

5) Clear liquids until bedtime, nothing after midnight.

My procedure was at 9:30am, if that makes a difference.  Does that line up with your instructions at all?

ETA:  The Dulcolax box I have is the bisacodyl 5mg, Target brand.

ETA2:  I'd rather have another colonoscopy than assemble and file all these tax forms.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

I just found my instructions from my October endoscopy/colonoscopy as I was getting tax papers out.

Mine says:

1) Clear liquids only day before procedure.

2) At 1pm, take 2 Dulcolax tablets by mouth.

3) At 2pm, mix bottle of Miralax with water/gatorade/not soda

4) Drink an 8oz. glass every 15 minutes until the solution is gone.

5) Clear liquids until bedtime, nothing after midnight.

My procedure was at 9:30am, if that makes a difference.  Does that line up with your instructions at all?

ETA:  The Dulcolax box I have is the bisacodyl 5mg, Target brand.

ETA2:  I'd rather have another colonoscopy than assemble and file all these tax forms.

Thank you!  LOL on your tax forms.  I'm not afraid of the colonoscopy but I'm a wreck about being hungry on the clear liquid diet.  

I don't know my procedure time yet but the link I sent him had the Miralax mixture taken in two doses - half at 5pm, the other half 5 hours before the procedure.  And the Dulcolax is taken later than yours - at 4pm.  I like your prep better since you didn't have to get up to drink the second half of the Miralax.  

Ha! I just did this on Sunday. Here's my info sheet:

Liquid diet all day. No red dyes.

1pm Drink one 300ml/10oz bottle of magnesium citrate

3pm Take four Dulcolax/Correctol tablets

5pm mix Miralax into 64oz of clear Gatorade. Drink an 8oz glass every 10-15 minutes until gone. Finish by 7pm.

No eating or drinking past midnight

Thank you!  

Funny how the preps are different.  

Thank you!  LOL on your tax forms.  I'm not afraid of the colonoscopy but I'm a wreck about being hungry on the clear liquid diet.  

I don't know my procedure time yet but the link I sent him had the Miralax mixture taken in two doses - half at 5pm, the other half 5 hours before the procedure.  And the Dulcolax is taken later than yours - at 4pm.  I like your prep better since you didn't have to get up to drink the second half of the Miralax.  

I missed my creamer-with-a-side-of-coffee, but fasting wasn't bad at all, as I don't have an appetite.  That's a pretty good sign your GI tract is messed up, when you feel like you could run a marathon and dance in the streets during a colonoscopy prep, lol.

• Like 2

My prescribed prep made me throw up--I couldn't keep that stuff down. The on-call doctor tried to call in another rx at 7:00 at night but the pharmacy didn't have it in stock and my procedure was early in the morning. I did not want all my prep to go to waste, so the pharmacist actually told me about the miralax and gatorade mix and I was able to keep that down. I did not take anything else--dulcolax or whatever. The miralax alone worked fine. After the test I specifically asked the doc if the prep was okay and he said it was fine. So I guess I wouldn't worry too much about it--2 dulcolax is probably fine, as the miralax does all the work!

• Like 2

I need to get a colonoscopy, but haven't yet.  

I am very nervous because if I even take a half dose (1 teaspoon) of Phillips Milk of Magnesia, I am in the bathroom with diarrhea  for a while and have painful stomach cramps.  I can't imagine taking a whole bottle.  

• Like 1

I am very nervous because if I even take a half dose (1 teaspoon) of Phillips Milk of Magnesia, I am in the bathroom with diarrhea  for a while and have painful stomach cramps.  I can't imagine taking a whole bottle.  

Have you spoken with your doctor about this?  I wonder what can be done to make it easier for you.  It's so important to get it done.

• Like 1

Have you spoken with your doctor about this?  I wonder what can be done to make it easier for you.  It's so important to get it done.

Not yet.  I was supposed to get this done in April over Spring Break but I need to hold off now and may wait until next January due to some wrong info I was given during open enrollment.  It will possibly mean the difference between a $0 cost and a $1500 cost.  But I need to make some more calls first.

I DO have issues with digestion, I always have.....so I do need the procedure to figure some things out.

Not yet.  I was supposed to get this done in April over Spring Break but I need to hold off now and may wait until next January due to some wrong info I was given during open enrollment.  It will possibly mean the difference between a $0 cost and a $1500 cost.  But I need to make some more calls first.

I DO have issues with digestion, I always have.....so I do need the procedure to figure some things out.

I had to wait a long time, too, to get mine done.  My doctor wanted me to have mine last August after I had an intestinal obstruction in July.  I just couldn't get it done before now.  It would have been cheaper for me to do it last year because our out of pocket expenses for insurance were met when I was hospitalized but I couldn't find a way to schedule it in.  

I am very nervous because if I even take a half dose (1 teaspoon) of Phillips Milk of Magnesia, I am in the bathroom with diarrhea for a while and have painful stomach cramps. I can't imagine taking a whole bottle.

Get the stuff from the doctor. I can’t remember the name of it, but the new stuff they give you is amazing. It works FAST and you don’t even get bad cramps from it (looking at you, Dulcolax! :glare:)

Edited to add — it might have been the Suprep stuff that Kassia mentioned. I’ll have to ask dh and see if he remembers what it was.

Edited by Catwoman

Liquid diet all day. No red dyes.

1pm Drink one 300ml/10oz bottle of magnesium citrate

3pm Take four Dulcolax/Correctol tablets

5pm mix Miralax into 64oz of clear Gatorade. Drink an 8oz glass every 10-15 minutes until gone. Finish by 7pm.

No eating or drinking past midnight

This was pretty similar to. I did.

I bought powdered miralax and mixed with one 32 oz bottle,of Gatorade. I was advised that Powerade is easier to drink if you don’t like sweet drinks. Others have used apple juice.

I was supposed to drink 64 oz, but it’s because they don’t want you get dehydrated. I just drank the equivalent in water and I was fine.

I also took 4 dulcolax, because I was not sure about the directions.

Get the stuff from the doctor. I can’t remember the name of it, but the new stuff they give you is amazing. It works FAST and you don’t even get bad cramps from it (looking at you, Dulcolax! :glare:)

Edited to add — it might have been the Suprep stuff that Kassia mentioned. I’ll have to ask dh and see if he remembers what it was.

I've had 4 colonoscopies ... yuck ... all with different preps.

The first three were horrific.   

The last one was with Suprep.  It was unbelievable how much easier the prep was with this and how much better I tolerated it.  It was a total breeze.

My insurance paid for it, but if in the future it doesn't, I told dh we would be scraping together the money to pay for it out of pocket.  (I even saved the packaging so I wouldn't forget what it was called ... lol!)

• Like 2

I've had 4 colonoscopies ... yuck ... all with different preps.

The first three were horrific.

The last one was with Suprep. It was unbelievable how much easier the prep was with this and how much better I tolerated it. It was a total breeze.

My insurance paid for it, but if in the future it doesn't, I told dh we would be scraping together the money to pay for it out of pocket. (I even saved the packaging so I wouldn't forget what it was called ... lol!)

I just asked dh and he said we took the Suprep.

I have had several colonoscopies, too, because my dad had colon cancer so I have to get a colonoscopy every five years, and I absolutely agree with you that I would pay pretty much any amount of money to take the Suprep instead of the other options! What a difference! It was so easy and quick, and there wasn’t even any discomfort to speak of.

• Like 2

It works FAST and you don’t even get bad cramps from it (looking at you, Dulcolax! :glare:)

Eek!  Should I expect cramping from the Dulcolax?  I've never taken any laxatives before.  

I bought powdered miralax and mixed with one 32 oz bottle,of Gatorade. I was advised that Powerade is easier to drink if you don’t like sweet drinks. 

I also took 4 dulcolax, because I was not sure about the directions.

The instructions I originally read said 32 oz but everywhere else instructed 64 so I'm relieved to see that you were fine with the 32 oz.  

I am still torn about the Dulcolax.  Were you uncomfortable from taking 4?  I'm afraid it will be too much but I certainly want to make sure my prep is successful.  

Eek! Should I expect cramping from the Dulcolax? I've never taken any laxatives before.

The instructions I originally read said 32 oz but everywhere else instructed 64 so I'm relieved to see that you were fine with the 32 oz.

I am still torn about the Dulcolax. Were you uncomfortable from taking 4? I'm afraid it will be too much but I certainly want to make sure my prep is successful.

Both my dh and I had bad cramping from the Dulcolax, my dh to the point where we were actually getting worried that something had gone terribly wrong. And we didn’t take 4 of them! :svengo:

• Like 2

[quote

I am still torn about the Dulcolax. Were you uncomfortable from taking 4? I'm afraid it will be too much but I certainly want to make sure my prep is successful.

I took them at two separate times, so uncomfortableness was not bad.

Seriously, I put this off for so long and it was really no big deal. Just plan for the evening in the bathroom with no distractions.

• Like 1

Both my dh and I had bad cramping from the Dulcolax, my dh to the point where we were actually getting worried that something had gone terribly wrong. And we didn’t take 4 of them! :svengo:

That's awful!  I'm sorry.  Maybe I will just take 2 or 3.  

• Like 1

My prep was only the two Dulcolax, and no cramping issues, but cramping and stabbing pain is typical for me w/o meds. No cramping for DH either, but another relative did have problems (and for a few days afterward - there were polyps removed, if that makes a difference).

Seriously, I could have believed in fairies and flown out the window, I felt that good during the prep (Prep! Not Oreo, you dumb phone!).

• Like 2

My prep was only the two Dulcolax, and no cramping issues, but cramping and stabbing pain is typical for me w/o meds. No cramping for DH either, but another relative did have problems (and for a few days afterward - there were polyps removed, if that makes a difference).

Seriously, I could have believed in fairies and flown out the window, I felt that good during the prep (Prep! Not Oreo, you dumb phone!).

Did they find out why you have the cramping and stabbing pain?  

Now I'm going to be thinking of Oreos during my prep!   :laugh:

I am very nervous because if I even take a half dose (1 teaspoon) of Phillips Milk of Magnesia, I am in the bathroom with diarrhea for a while and have painful stomach cramps. I can't imagine taking a whole bottle.

Just reading the prep fills me with horror. I've put it off five years. [emoji44]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just reading the prep fills me with horror. I've put it off five years. [emoji44]

I put it off 12 years.

It will find you one day.younwill have it done and then wonder what the fuss was about.

Except my hubby. He is still refusing.

• Like 1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Once you do it, you realize it’s not that bad because the prep is only one night of your life every five or ten years. Even if you don’t do the easy prep with Suprep which “cleans you out†very quickly, it’s still only one night of rushing to the bathroom, which is such a small thing when you consider the benefits of having the colonoscopy. And you won’t remember anything about the actual colonoscopy, and it’s not horrible or embarrassing or anything you might be worried about.

Seriously, don’t keep putting it off. You’re probably perfectly healthy, but colon cancer is one of few cancers you can actually prevent if you go for regular colonoscopies, so why take a chance?

• Like 6

Note to Kassia — I just reread your original post and noticed that you weren’t thrilled about having to drink a lot with the prep. You really do have to drink a lot so you get completely cleaned out. It also makes the whole prep process faster and easier. You can have any kind of clear liquids, as long as they’re not red or purple. I found that some hot chicken broth (totally clear — no chicken bits,) was a comforting alternative to all of the water and ginger ale I’d been drinking, and lemon or lime Jello was good, too, because it felt sort of like I was eating food instead of just drinking liquids.

• Like 1

Note to Kassia — I just reread your original post and noticed that you weren’t thrilled about having to drink a lot with the prep. You really do have to drink a lot so you get completely cleaned out. It also makes the whole prep process faster and easier. You can have any kind of clear liquids, as long as they’re not red or purple. I found that some hot chicken broth (totally clear — no chicken bits,) was a comforting alternative to all of the water and ginger ale I’d been drinking, and lemon or lime Jello was good, too, because it felt sort of like I was eating food instead of just drinking liquids.

DD19 had an upper and lower endo today. She didn't get to do the tabs/miralax combo. She had to drink 1.5 gallons of prep.  (btw, her results are all normal)

Chicken broth was her saving grace too.  I made her broth with fresh chicken, onion, herbs/spices and veggies.  I use the same recipe as I use for chicken noodle soup except left off the noodles.   Then I double strained it through a fine sieve and a coffee filter to catch bits of seasoning.    She drank 2 quarts of it. LOL  The savory flavor and nutrition from the meat/veggies really helped to settle her stomach from all the prep solution.  

Last night,when she was trying to push more fluids, I made her non-alcoholic blended margaritas, so don't be afraid to think out of the box when it comes to fluids. 

• Like 3

I hope you decide to do it.  Is there a way you can plan a treat for yourself for when it's over to motivate you to get it done?  It's so important.  

I already drink a lot and plan on drinking a lot during the prep.  I was just nervous about committing to getting down a prep that tasted bad (I watched DH struggle with this).  Right now I have a lot of clear liquids here for my prep day:  tons of Jell-O (for the reason you mentioned about it feeling like food), popsicles, broth, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, sprite, and cream soda (I love cream soda!).  I might have crushed ice or icees, too.  

• Like 1

With the Suprep, I had zero non-diarrhea issues, and as diarrhea is kind of the point, it was pretty much not that big a deal. The other thing that surprised me is that I took the first Suprep dose and allll the liquids at 5:00 and I was pretty much “done†in the bathroom by 7:30.

However, I had told everyone to leave me alone (and no one disagreed!), so after 7:30 it became a relatively comfortable private retreat. :0)

That was my experience, as well, and it was the same way for my dh, too. It was sooooo much better and easier than the other kinds of preps we’d used before past colonoscopies.

• Like 1

That was my experience, as well, and it was the same way for my dh, too. It was sooooo much better and easier than the other kinds of preps we’d used before past colonoscopies.

Now I'm second guessing my decision to do the Miralax/Dulcolax prep.  I was worried about the expense and volume of the Suprep.  

• Like 1

How much does the Suprep cost?

I can't remember for sure because I was supposed to have this done last August, but I think it was around $100.  I'm already concerned about what the procedure itself is going to end up costing.  We have awful medical insurance.

How much does the Suprep cost?

$120 apx without insurance (varies with pharmacy)

Wth insurance it can be anywhere between zero and full price.  You can probably call your pharmacy insurance and ask.  There is a manufacturer coupon at their website that will take some off if you do not have federal or state sponsored insurance. Easiest way to find out is have your MD send an RX over for it and see what it costs.  You don't have to pick it up, if it i too expensive. 

I can't remember for sure because I was supposed to have this done last August, but I think it was around $100.  I'm already concerned about what the procedure itself is going to end up costing.  We have awful medical insurance.

$120 apx without insurance (varies with pharmacy)

Wth insurance it can be anywhere between zero and full price.  You can probably call your pharmacy insurance and ask.  There is a manufacturer coupon at their website that will take some off if you do not have federal or state sponsored insurance. Easiest way to find out is have your MD send an RX over for it and see what it costs.  You don't have to pick it up, if it i too expensive.

Kassia, maybe things have changed with your insurance since last summer and the price could be different (hopefully not higher!) I’m glad Tap mentioned the manufacturer coupon, because maybe that could be helpful to you.

I can understand not wanting to spend that much money, and realistically, even if you do end up with cramps or are running to the bathroom for hours because you went with a cheaper prep option, it’s still only one night and then it’s over.

• Like 3

Kassia, maybe things have changed with your insurance since last summer and the price could be different (hopefully not higher!) I’m glad Tap mentioned the manufacturer coupon, because maybe that could be helpful to you.

I can understand not wanting to spend that much money, and realistically, even if you do end up with cramps or are running to the bathroom for hours because you went with a cheaper prep option, it’s still only one night and then it’s over.

Yes, as long as I don't vomit I think I'll be okay.  I have emetophobia.  

• Like 1

Yes, as long as I don't vomit I think I'll be okay.  I have emetophobia.  

Tell your doctor this and ask them to prescribe an anti nausea med to go along with the prep.  They may not be willing to (most are ok with it) but at least you can ask.  

• Like 1

Tell your doctor this and ask them to prescribe an anti nausea med to go along with the prep.  They may not be willing to (most are ok with it) but at least you can ask.  

I never thought about that.  Wouldn't it make me sleepy, though?  I'm afraid of the combo of being sleepy with the urgency to get to the toilet.  Also, I'm concerned about the cost (always an issue).  

I always ask for anti-nausea meds with anesthesia.  

I never thought about that. Wouldn't it make me sleepy, though? I'm afraid of the combo of being sleepy with the urgency to get to the toilet. Also, I'm concerned about the cost (always an issue).

I have never had an anti-nausea med make me sleepy. I think you would be okay.

• Like 1

I never thought about that.  Wouldn't it make me sleepy, though?  I'm afraid of the combo of being sleepy with the urgency to get to the toilet.  Also, I'm concerned about the cost (always an issue).  

Depends on the persona and the med.  

Zofran is a strong anti-nausea med.  Some people take it and function just fine on it.  It will leave dd19 asleep like a cat in a puddle of sunshine.  LOL  

Promethazine is another common med for nausea. It is an antihistamine so it works similar to (but not the same as benadryl).  

There are others, but those are the most common by prescription. 

Even a dose of OTC Dramamine (dimenhydrinate or meclizine) and/or Bonine (meclizine) may work for you (both forms are antihistamines).  There is another med called Nauzene (sodium citrate dihydrate) that I don't know anything about but your doctor may know something.

• Like 1

My emergency nausea med (promethazine) makes me useless for about 36 hours at a full dose. Zofran does nothing for me, but it doesn't make me tired.

FWIW, DH was very queasy after mixing the Miralax with sweet tea. Too, too, too much sugar on an empty stomach. I mixed mine with water only and washed each glass down with sips of sweetened hot tea. I was less nauseated during the prep than I am on a normal day (but again, I have issues).

• Like 1

Also te: costs: the ACA mandates screening colonoscopies so if it is your first one it is likely to cost less than the subsequent ones. That probably explains price differences at least to some degree.

I am hoping mine will be paid as screening, but since I've had intestinal issues in the past year my insurance may view it as diagnostic even if it's billed as screening (they just did this with part of my mammogram).  The endoscopy will all have to go to my deductible for sure. 

It is so hard to know what to do with all this stuff!!!!  They said they found a benign polyp and removed it and want me back in three years.  Well that is about 6 months before I go on Medicare so I think I will just take my chances, if Medicare covers the second one.

The "bill" I got showed the "value" of the procedure at around $2500.  I paid nothing for this one; the next one...oy.   I don't think I can find that much in my sofa cushions.  LOL.  ;0). 

It's so sad that we put our health at risk and don't get the medical care we should because of the cost.  :(  We put stuff off (or don't do it at all) frequently.  

It is frustrating to me because there are some best-practices that should be observed from a medical POV and there are some that are CALLED "best practice" but they are really either based in lawsuit prevention or in information that is two decades old.  My GP is one of the few people I know who *really* listens to science and bases his practice on it.  He reads studies from all over the world, and makes changes according to what is discovered.  

You are so fortunate to have such a wonderful doctor!  It must be great seeing a doctor and trusting the medical advice you are given.  We have had terrible experiences with most of our physicians.  I did love my gynecologist and wish she had been a primary care physician but she retired and now we really have no one.  I hate wasting time and money for bad treatment - that's another reason why we rarely go to the doctor.  

I can't say that it didn't work for me, but . . . . I didn't have anything close to a can't-leave-the-bathroom experience. I made a few visits, none were pressingly urgent and none were particularly memorable in terms of output quantity. And that was it. Very much not a big deal at all.

• Like 1