Menu

Quotes about books?

three4me

My daughter is turning ten in a few days and I’m giving her a commonplace book and book darts. I’d like to write a quote about books in the front but I’m having a hard time coming up with one.

What are your favorite quotes about books (preferably by a children’s author)? Thanks!

Edited by three4me
  • Like 1

Some quotes I found:

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.†― Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.â€
― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

What a wonderful idea!

There are so many good ones.  Here's one my mother used to recite to me and my brother, whensoever we forgot it would be forthcoming and lapsed into whining that We Were Soooo Booorrrred...

Emily Dickenson:

There is no Frigate like a Book

To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry –
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll –
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears the Human Soul –

I was probably 40 when I learned that "frigate" means not just a ship, but also a voraciously-consuming bird.  The dualism, of which I'm quite sure Emily *was* aware, made me like the poem even more.

• Like 3

Well, I'm partial to Richard Scarry...

“I'm not interested in creating a book that is read once and then placed on the shelf and forgotten. I am very happy when people have worn out my books, or that they're held together by Scotch tape.â€

― Richard Scarry

Have never read this quote before, but have taped up many a Busy Town book! I feel Mr. Scarry would be proud of our shelves. <3

• Like 1

What a wonderful idea!

There are so many good ones.  Here's one my mother used to recite to me and my brother, whensoever we forgot it would be forthcoming and lapsed into whining that We Were Soooo Booorrrred...

Emily Dickenson:

I was probably 40 when I learned that "frigate" means not just a ship, but also a voraciously-consuming bird.  The dualism, of which I'm quite sure Emily *was* aware, made me like the poem even more.

I love that poem!  One of my favorites by Emily Dickinson.   And I didn't know about the bird, either.

• Like 1

I hope she loves your gift! 

My daughter started her own at about the same age. Now she's 12, and her desire to write down inspiring or thoughtful things she comes across is still going strong. It's fun to go back even two years to her first entries, and see how her perspective has (or hasn't!) changed, and where she "was" at that point in her life.

Her latest entry was yesterday. We saw The Greatest Showman after reading comments here about it. She enjoyed the movie, but said the PT Barnum quote at the end was her favorite part. She wrote it in her book in the car. She always has it with her. 

Happy birthday to your sweet girl.  :001_wub: