Menu

Similiar to Memoria Press

kbp14

What do you like, specifically?  I think Veritas Press is similar for many subjects, such as literature, geography, and art appreciation. 

I think Memoria Press might be in a class of their own for the way they do classical studies and other rotating subjects, as in going deep vs. wide and aiming for mastery over a smaller portion.  

• Like 2

I'll repeat the question asked already - what do you like about Memoria Press?  What characteristics draw you to it?

Here is a great site for comprehensive reviews over most everything out there.  You can look at specific pieces that a company puts out and do the contrasting/comparing between anything you like: https://cathyduffyreviews.com/

• Like 1

I really like that Memoria is a box curriculum--at least for my first year of homeschooling. I will probably change it up after that, but knowing everything is ready is a great plus. I also like the focus on logic and the Christian sections are very neutral. I like that I can build on the religious studies without having to weed through curriculum we may not align with. 

I'll check out the website! Thanks!

I really like that Memoria is a box curriculum--at least for my first year of homeschooling. I will probably change it up after that, but knowing everything is ready is a great plus. I also like the focus on logic and the Christian sections are very neutral. I like that I can build on the religious studies without having to weed through curriculum we may not align with. 

I'll check out the website! Thanks!

In that case, I'd suggest you check out Timberdoodle as well.  There is an emphasis on logic, first through games and then more organized study, and you can pick secular or religious boxes.

If you find a curriculum you like, but doesn't have all the components you want, you can add to it.  Critical Thinking Company makes fantastic logic and critical thinking books, or you can add Memoria Press components to your choices.   Just block in an extra few minutes a day on your lesson plan.

What grades are you starting with?

• Like 2

I sometimes get the feeling that the curriculum is too intense. (Just from what I have seen.) I want something rigorous but I don't want my son get burnt out! I want to teach that learning is both fun and a discipline. 

I have looked into Charlotte Mason style schooling, and like the idea of it, but I don't think it would fit my personality as a parent. So instead I would like to find a classical approach with a slight Charlotte Mason slant. I have seen a lot of people combining the two, but I have no idea how to do that! 

In that case, I'd suggest you check out Timberdoodle as well.  There is an emphasis on logic, first through games and then more organized study, and you can pick secular or religious boxes.

If you find a curriculum you like, but doesn't have all the components you want, you can add to it.  Critical Thinking Company makes fantastic logic and critical thinking books, or you can add Memoria Press components to your choices.   Just block in an extra few minutes a day on your lesson plan.

What grades are you starting with?

Thanks! Ill check it out. 

My son is turning three this year, so we have a lot of time, but we are planning on moving next year, and I don't want to be figuring all this stuff out last minute! There is so much information, it can be overwhelming! 

Wow, I hadn't looked at Timberdoodle in a long time. I really like the science and logic focus. The packages look solid academically, yet fun.

Thanks! Ill check it out. 

My son is turning three this year, so we have a lot of time, but we are planning on moving next year, and I don't want to be figuring all this stuff out last minute! There is so much information, it can be overwhelming! 

I get it. :) Take some time, hang out on the pre-k/K board.  Around this time everyone starts posting what they're using next year.  Not only do you get a wealth of options to look through, but around Sept/Oct people start posting what isn't quite working and why. 

There are a lot of options, definitely!  Taking the time to figure out what exactly you want helps you narrow it down.  We're doing 2nd grade this year, but when I started thinking about school for my then-4yo, I knew I didn't want "school", kwim?  I wanted more organic and gentle, so I gravitated that way.  When my son started wanting more, I looked first through the free curriculum lists to see if I could find what I wanted for Kindergarten: and I did :)  I found MEP math and the 1st edition guides for Wee Folk Art (literature, art, crafts, etc).   By 1st we had settled down with a classical-Charlotte Mason hybrid, doing the 4 year history rotation, but simple handwriting exercises, good chapter books, and oral narration.  And 2nd has us continuing the same path but a little harder.

So I guess what I'm saying is what you decide now....maybe you decide for the one year?  Then you reassess, make changes...tweak...but knowing what your philosophical bent is helps you narrow down the options from the insanely many to just the few that might work.  And you don't have to be scared about picking and choosing from different curriculum providers.  Most come with a guide or lessons broken up into weeks.  You just follow each guide individually.  Think of it as sampling from the smorgasbord so you get a good feeling for what all is out there.  Maybe you like Memoria's enrichment packages....Horizon math....and Phonics Pathways.  Cool.  Get them and make them work together! Or whatever else catches your fancy - but definitely look through all the free stuff first!  There's a great thread in General Education listing a TON.

• Like 1

I like MP and use some of their stuff but it’s very hard to find an all in one that works. I bought MP Jr. K for my youngest and it has a lot of great parts you could consider. The problem we have is that she wasn’t ready for all of the writing but loved the stories and the questions. Now that she can write much better the writing is too simple. You may want to consider choosing subjects separately to avoid that. Definitely look at Kumon books for begin with pencil practice. All About Reading is great for phonics. MP First Start Reading is also great.

I like MP and use some of their stuff but it’s very hard to find an all in one that works. I bought MP Jr. K for my youngest and it has a lot of great parts you could consider. The problem we have is that she wasn’t ready for all of the writing but loved the stories and the questions. Now that she can write much better the writing is too simple. You may want to consider choosing subjects separately to avoid that. Definitely look at Kumon books for begin with pencil practice. All About Reading is great for phonics. MP First Start Reading is also great.

I agree with this.   I LOOOOOOVE Memoria Press, however, I think I like it more starting in 3rd or 4th grade.  It is very hard to stick to a boxed curriculum lesson plan when the child is learning all of these skill-based subjects like basic reading and writing.   

Once the child has "learned how to learn", MP becomes awesome.

To the OP, there are lots of packaged curricula out there---none like MP.   The affordability, the ease of use, the depth---I love it all!   

• Like 3