Menu

how teacher intensive is Abeka math?

caedmyn

Trying to find a math program for DS7 for next year that is non-teacher-intensive (because he prefers to do everything himself and would prefer to miss everything on a page rather than ask me how to do it...we're using Miquon this year and this is a problem).  He likes the colored pages of Abeka but I can't tell how much teacher time is involved.

Edited by caedmyn

In k-3 there is extra in the curriculum manual that is ment to be taught. You can do just what your child needs in 5-15 min especially it you drill facts another way. The page could be independent. I think it could be pretty much totally independent dependent on the child around 4 or 5 grade.

Edited by Rjha

I am using abeka math for 1st and 2nd grade. We do not use the teachers guide. I have them do a few oral drills and the just teach each new concept as it pops up in the workbook. It takes us about 20 minutes a day each, sometimes more sometimes less. I did buy the tests and drills book and they do the speed drills daily.

• Like 1

I'm the other poster.... I am using k5 and 1st. It is spiral so there are a variety of topics each day. Some days I have to teach a truly new concept most days it is an extension of an old concept or mostly review. Each lesson in 1st is the front and back of 1 page with other class activities and drill in the teacher manual. The front of each page is independent work the other side is intended to be done with the teacher but this isn't always necessary. It takes us about 20 min total to do math and I do drill another time. We do some of the extra activities in the teacher book. I personally used Abeka from about 5th through Algebra 2 I did it totally independently and asked my Dad for help if I got stuck. So I'd say depending on the child it may be truly independent at some point.... I'm not there with my 1st grader though;)

meganrussell, is there a new teaching concept for each lesson? Does it take you guys 20 mins/day to cover new material or to do the entire lesson?

No, there is not a new concept every lesson. There is quite a bit of review, which I love. Some days, my 2nd grader can complete the lesson all on his own.

Twenty minutes to complete the entire lesson, new concepts and speed drills.