Menu

What’s for Dinner?

Just Kate

DH works Monday and Weds. nights, so I scrap together something for the kids. Tonight it's leftover sausage, biscuits, and beans.

The rest of the week:

Beef stew in the crockpot, rolls, cinnamon/fried apples

Pork chops, crockpot mac & cheese (Paula Deen's recipe, minus the egg)

Budget Bytes's baked fajitas, spicy yellow rice, refried beans

Tonight it is Pioneer Woman's old-fashioned BBQ meatballs. I'll make some creamy orzo to go with it.

Tomorrow, DH won't be home, so the kids and I will have minestrone leftover from yesterday.

Wednesday, I will probably do baked tilapia with mushrooms. Because I have the fish in the freezer and mushrooms were on sale at the store.

Beyond that, I don't know. Which is unusual for me. I usually plan my meals out for a month or more in advance.

I need to go to the grocery store fo the week yet I have no idea what to buy! Please tell me what you’re making for dinner this week. Dh is out of town (which isn’t abnormal), so it’s just the two kids and me. Thanks!!

In case you want a couple of ideas --

When it's just the kids and me, I often do Manwich. Because the kids love it, and DH dislikes it. It's quick and easy. My other go-to meal when he is away is scrambled eggs. Or Campbell's tomato soup with grilled cheese.

Last month, DH was away helping with his parents for ten days. One of the things I did was make a big batch of pasta salad, with veggies, some grilled chicken I had in the freezer, cheese, and Wishbone Italian dressing. Easy, except for chopping the veggies, and my kids were happy to eat it for more than one meal.

For some reason, it seems unnecessary to put in a big effort when DH is not here. Even though I still have 5/6 of the family to feed.

Love all of the suggestions! I quickly ran to the store and got the groceries to make grilled chicken salads tonight and then cheese tortellini for tomorrow night.

My kids are picky. Like super picky. So it’s no fun to cook when dh is gone. I think I need to work on them though, so I’m going to try to come up with a few different options for the end of the week.

Tonight we are having Beef Barley Soup. 

I haven't figured out the rest of the week but at some point we will have tacos because we have them pretty much every week, although whether they are beef, pork or chicken remains to be seen.

We will probably have steak (just picked up a fresh half today and still have some steaks from last year and I want to use them up before they get mixed up with the new stuff).

I usually do my meal planning on Tuesday's during my kids gym class (because I go grocery shopping right after it)

Hubby is out of town for a few days and I have an exam and several meeting this week. Here is our plan ...

Tonight: Kimchi Fried Rice (it became a family favorite after our studies of Korea)

Tomorrow (needs to be fast due to back-to-back meetings) leftover baked chicken sautéd with peppers and broccoli with green curry sauce (sampled from Trader Joe's) over rice. Just realized it will be rice two days in a row.

Wednesday (needs to be make ahead due to dd's training schedule ) tortellini with spaghetti sauce (made a huge batch last week and am pulling it out of the freezer) with a salad.

Thursday (hubby is home and I will be home all day) Pork Roast and dumplings, roasted butternut squash, and salad.

Friday: minestrone soup and some crust bread. The soup is pretty easy to make.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Chicken noodle and homemade bread.

2/3 of the kids have flu (pray that my 6mo old doesn’t get it!) and I have strep.

On the bright side, I married well. My hubs made the home made chicken noodle AND the homemade bread in my pretty new Le Creuset pot. It made my heart (and belly) happy!

• Like 6

Any favorite recipe for nachos?  That sounds good.

Rest of the week for us.  Kind of bland because I'm having my first colonoscopy on Monday.

Tuesday:  pasta 

Wednesday:  Leftover pulled pork, dd will have brown rice, DH will have pineapple and rolls, I'll have an apple

Thursday:  pasta

Friday:  turkey burgers/potatoes   dd will have carrots instead of potatoes (she doesn't like them and I can't have veggies then)

Saturday:  chicken/potatoes  dd will have carrots again

Sunday:  clear liquid diet for me :(   DH and dd will have leftover chili/rice/salad

It was supposed to be homemade pizza, but I forgot to buy the cheese.  So now I am trying to come up with a plan that doesn't involve me going to the store.  I am thinking some of them can have leftover quiche from yesterday.  I think the rest are just on their own to figure it out for themselves.

Tomorrow night is tacos.

Wednesday night we are eat fast food because it is DD's b-day and that is what she wanted.

Thursday was supposed to be roast, but I may make chili and cornbread instead.

• Like 1

I don't do meal plans (maybe I should?) but tonight we're having creation a la momma (how can I add accents?) which is what i call my creations that will probably never occur again. Tonight's creation is basically a vegetarian chili gone crazy. I started with onion and garlic then added zucchini, eggplant, cauliflower, tomatoes, pinto beans, basil, crushed chilis and salt. We're going to eat it with homemade whole wheat sourdough bread (my specialty). Does anyone else cook like this?

Today: Chicken drumsticks over potatoes, creamed spinach, steamed carrots with lemon
Tuesday: Roast whole chicken which was supposed to be for today, potato salad, stir-fried cabbage, turnips with a maple glaze

Wednesday: Lentils with peppers, cauliflower, roasted okra

Thursday: Gumbo.

Friday: Leftover gumbo.

Saturday: Pasta pesto with salmon and cauliflower and maybe peas.

I don't do meal plans (maybe I should?) but tonight we're having creation a la momma (how can I add accents?) which is what i call my creations that will probably never occur again. Tonight's creation is basically a vegetarian chili gone crazy. I started with onion and garlic then added zucchini, eggplant, cauliflower, tomatoes, pinto beans, basil, crushed chilis and salt. We're going to eat it with homemade whole wheat sourdough bread (my specialty). Does anyone else cook like this?

In my house it's called mommy concoction and it's in pretty regular rotation since I always look for ways to use up the last bits of stuff.

• Like 2

Yep. Lots of "creation a la momma" around here, though if one is particularly popular I'll try to write it down to try again. :) I have tried several times to do meal planning but it never seems to stick. I agree that it's hard to get motivated to cook when my husband won't be home and he's usually not 4 of 5 nights (he helps teach aikido after work at a dojo about 45 min away and closer to his office, so he doesn't come home first).

Yesterday was ambitious--saag paneer with homemade paneer, which turned out really well. The local grocery had a special on half gallons of milk for 87 cents, so we grabbed some for the paneer. I may make some more to have as queso fresco (same recipe) with something Mexican-ish later in the week.

Tonight was going to be something based on ground beef, but evidently my body has decided I am no longer going to be able to cook beef. I can eat it once it's cooked with no problem, at least out, but this is the second time in a week that the smell of raw beef has really turned my stomach to the point that I can't eat that particular batch (and, no, not pregnant ;) ). Does menopause change your tastes in food? Looks like beef is going to be relegated to either frozen precooked in something or I'll get it when we go out, since neither my husband nor daughter care that much about it.

So, instead, we had lemon pepper-crusted tilapia from Aldi that was in the freezer and chicken rice-a-roni with spinach added. I also went ahead and heated some frozen meatballs in vodka sauce to have ready for tomorrow lunch or Wednesday dinner either over pasta or as meatball subs. Probably Wednesday dinner, as we'll all be in different places tomorrow evening.

• Like 1

so my kids had a late dance class and needed snacks and protein to get them through. Not only was it later than usual, but it added an extra hour to their regular hours of dance this week. So I ran them to Walmart and got cheese sticks, bananas, and potato salad (of all things!) because on of my dds loves the deli potato salad, to get them through dance. The preschooler ate a cheese stick, banana, and some whale crackers- like goldfish. So nobody was super hungry for dinner. Even I ate a banana on the way home. 

So I tried a banana, applesauce, organic dark choc. chip baked oatmeal muffin recipe I had seen online and made fruit smoothies in the blender to go with. Everyone was ready for a little something after dance even after snacks, but breakfast for dinner was enough. And bonus, there are enough muffins left for breakfast tomorrow. 

Tomorrow is IHOP's national pancake day, and dd13 really wanted to go for a free stack of pancakes because she saw it online. But I don't have time in the day for it tomorrow, so I will probably end  up doing breakfast for dinner again tomorrow so that she can have her pancakes! I have some leftover ham in the fridge, so I can heat that up to go with along with more fruit. 

• Like 1

Monday: Stromboli with l/o marinara sauce and salad

Tuesday: carnitas, jalapeño cabbage slaw and taco fixings

Wednesday: peanut noodles with chicken and kale

Thursday: chicken schwarma, pita, hummus , Greek salad and roasted garlic potatoes.

Friday: homemade pizza and salad

Saturday: either pack sandwiches or go out for a cheap takeout dinner (3 soccer games)

Sunday: roast chicken, gravy, mashed potatoes and green veggies.

• Like 2

Monday: Stromboli with l/o marinara sauce and salad

Tuesday: carnitas, jalapeño cabbage slaw and taco fixings

Wednesday: peanut noodles with chicken and kale

Thursday: chicken schwarma, pita, hummus , Greek salad and roasted garlic potatoes.

Friday: homemade pizza and salad

Saturday: either pack sandwiches or go out for a cheap takeout dinner (3 soccer games)

Sunday: roast chicken, gravy, mashed potatoes and green veggies.

I want to come and eat at your house this week. 😜

• Like 1

They had very nice looking savoy cabbages at the grocery store, so I am roasting two of those.  I have a pot of lima beans left over from yesterday and (if the kids didn't eat it) a loaf of bread.  That should keep us for tonight.

Tomorrow I am probably doing fried squid, salad, broccoli.

The day after that, maybe pinto beans if I can remember to put them in early enough, and mixed vegetables (we buy those frozen packages of them - they are so easy for DD12 to cook and everyone likes them, even the baby).  

Then maybe the salmon I have in the freezer, and wild rice and asparagus.

I am not an adventurous cook :)  I can't remember the last time I used a spice other than salt and pepper, unless you count garlic.