Menu

Tell me about the must do things in Costa Rica

Murphy101

7 nights some time between dec 15 and January 13.

Best places to stay?

There’s a few things I know I want to do.

Cloud forest zip line and waterfall rappelling into a cave and coffee plantation tour

Scuba diving.

Fabulous food. I usually go cheap and local fare for 2 meals, but I’d like one meal a day to be more gourmet cuisine.

• Like 1

We just went in November and it was amazing!!!!!

We stayed at the Kioro Arenal resort (inland) which was very very nice for 4 nights and then Secrets Papagayo (Pacific side) which was also nice for 3 nights.

Highly recommend the hanging bridges tour in Arenal, ziplining, and Rincon de la Vieja.

Have a great time!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We just went in November and it was amazing!!!!!

We stayed at the Kioro Arenal resort (inland) which was very very nice for 4 nights and then Secrets Papagayo (Pacific side) which was also nice for 3 nights.

Highly recommend the hanging bridges tour in Arenal, ziplining, and Rincon de la Vieja.

Have a great time!

Did you use a travel agency? I’m getting frustrated bc I keep telling them what I want to do and they keep showing me packages nothing like I’m asking for. 😕

• Like 1

Did you use a travel agency? I’m getting frustrated bc I keep telling them what I want to do and they keep showing me packages nothing like I’m asking for. [emoji53]

I have a friend who's a travel agent and she did the hotels and the transportation shuttles. We had Southwest points that took care of flights so I booked that on my own. Then I used Anywhere.com to book activities, they were really good.

• Like 1

I haven't made it to Arenal yet, but if you are looking for good food, I highly recommend the Carribean side. We spent time in Puerto Viejo, and there were several wildlife sanctuaries in the area, as well as scuba diving, etc.

North of San Jose, La Paz waterfall and bird sanctuary makes a nice stop. We did it as a day trip, but I think you could do it en route to Arenal.

One of the most magical travel experiences was at El Toucanette lodge, when we saw multiple quetzals up close. It's not convenient to either of those other locations, but I had to mention it.

• Like 2

We didn't use a travel agency.  In Monteverde (the cloud forest) we stayed here.  It was just lovely, had wonderful food, and they arranged transport for us prior & after our stay with them.  They also coordinate with us to get rides out to the National Park and back, and to other stuff (horse riding, religious services, zip lining) we wanted to do.  It's a 1/2 mile or so from the main town, so you can walk or get a taxi.  There are definitely some terrific restaurants in town.

I can't recall if either of you have any Spanish?  If so I'd be perfectly comfortable renting a car in Costa Rica.  The main haul roads are quite good; depending on where you're going you may want 4 wheel drive as you get off them.

Have a wonderful trip.  It really is a magical place.

• Like 1

It's been over 10yrs since we went but I drove while down there and I felt pretty comfortable doing it.  I was in the capital and then in central CR.   We loved that area.  We were not near the beaches, where it's more touristy.  Lots of wild-life.  My dh took the kids up to the beaches and to do the zip-line and saw the volcano.. Horseback riding was wonderful, apparently.    

Have fun

• Like 1

No Spanish except a few epithets and catholic prayers. And no way do I want to drive down there. Lol

Why wouldn't you want to drive? The rules work just like here, and the traffic isn't all that bad in Costa Rica. The main problem is the rough road conditions in rural areas, but I'm used to that coming from Vermont. ;)

• Like 1

If you end up flying into San Jose and want to spend a night in that area before continuing onward, I'd recommend this place if you want a true taste of San Jose:

http://gran-hotel-costa-rica.san-jose-hotels-cr.com/en/

It's also right near their old, elegant national theater, where you could catch a performance:

https://teatronacional.go.cr

If you don't want a true taste but just something really nice and outside of the city center, then I'd recommend this place:

https://www.hb.co.cr

• Like 1

We did our own plans, using Airbnbs in three places. We spent a few days in Punta Uva on the Caribbean coast, which was lovely. We went into a nearby town and booked a river tour from a local company. We visited a "jaguar rescue" which had no jaguars, but had plenty of other interesting animals. Then we went to La Fortuna and stayed in an apartment instead of a resort. We did a zip line activity through a resort, and by doing that we got bracelets that gave us access to their tiny zoo and huge water park. Hot pools, cold pools, water slides, fountains, everything. We had a blast, and signed up for a horseback activity the next day so we could spend another day at the resort. We also went to the Don Oliveros chocolate farm tour which was amazing!! Then we drove into San Jose, which did have terrifying traffic. We returned the rental car and just walked everywhere from our city bnb. We visisted some museums and went to a huge market where dh loved bargaining and I hated it, lol.

• Like 2

Why wouldn't you want to drive? The rules work just like here, and the traffic isn't all that bad in Costa Rica. The main problem is the rough road conditions in rural areas, but I'm used to that coming from Vermont. ;)

I’m just not interested in stressing over directions to locations and such. The entire reason I’m going is to avoid stress. And I don’t want to worry about dealing with road conditions or whatever. Especially as I don’t speak Spanish should the need arise. Plus it’s an added daily expense for something I might only need a couple times a day. And I don’t mind interacting with other people on shuttles.

We did our own plans, using Airbnbs in three places. We spent a few days in Punta Uva on the Caribbean coast, which was lovely. We went into a nearby town and booked a river tour from a local company. We visited a "jaguar rescue" which had no jaguars, but had plenty of other interesting animals. Then we went to La Fortuna and stayed in an apartment instead of a resort. We did a zip line activity through a resort, and by doing that we got bracelets that gave us access to their tiny zoo and huge water park. Hot pools, cold pools, water slides, fountains, everything. We had a blast, and signed up for a horseback activity the next day so we could spend another day at the resort. We also went to the Don Oliveros chocolate farm tour which was amazing!! Then we drove into San Jose, which did have terrifying traffic. We returned the rental car and just walked everywhere from our city bnb. We visisted some museums and went to a huge market where dh loved bargaining and I hated it, lol.

I don’t usually mind making my own plans. But I’m put a fork in me D O N E and want as little stress as possible. I just want to show up and have my ride take me where I want to go and enjoy good food along the way and maybe a jacuzzi soak and fancy adult beverage and then a super comfy bed upon my return.