Menu

Beauty College issues

desiree77

I don't know if anyone here would be able to help me, but I don't know what to do.

Dd18 is at beauty school. We picked the one closest to us because it was cheap and she had a friend going there. It is a horrible school. She's been there since Sept and she's had multiple issues. It's not her. She loves cutting hair and wants to learn. The teachers seem so hostile, like they hate their jobs. They get angry at the students for every little thing and then refuse to teach their classes. They threaten to send student home if they even think for one second the student might be acting rudely.

One teacher had dd in tears for weeks when her dad stepped in and talked to the owner. The owner suggested she could switch schools! No accountability for how the teacher was behaving. Now she's got another teacher who is better, but I still feel like she's being held hostage to her emotional whims.

They also refuse to spend money on things they need to do their job, like new color or equipment.

We paid up front for this school. We could maybe get a refund. But it would cost us another 16,000 for her to go to a different school. And she'd lose 190 hours. She's got 690 and needs 1500 to graduate.

I want to report this school to come higher education board, but I don't know if it'll do any good. I'd love to take legal action against them or get them shut down because they really are that bad. If they get shut down, dd could transfer schools without losing hours.

I know that's unrealistic, but she's got at least through summer to finish. And this school is making her hate the beauty industry.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My sister went to a school that had similar issues. She thought that sticking it out until she graduated would be a good plan, but it didn't work out well for her. One of the head people at her school was extremely antagonistic towards her throughout her schooling, and when the time came to get her license that person was on the examination board and would not pass her, even when my sister did everything perfectly. After multiple failed attempts (as many as she could attempt before having to take additional hours of coursework) the lady told her directly that she wasn't ever going to pass her, no matter how well my sister did. At that point my sister decided to change career goals and won't even consider going back to school and trying to get her cosmetology license again; she was completely turned off by the beauty industry and refuses to ever work in it. And she loved cutting and styling hair; she was really good at it!

If your daughter is close to that point, or if any of the people that are causing problems will have the opportunity to prevent your daughter from getting licensed, then I would consider trying to transfer schools ASAP. I understand not wanting to lose money or hours, but if she won't get licensed or if she ends up hating the industry to the point of refusing to work in it, then it will have all been a waste anyway.

Edited by Clear Creek
  • Like 1

I think that much of the licensing within the cosmetology industry is done at the state level. Have you checked to see if there is a regulatory board of cosmetology schools in your state?

I can't find one. I think they fall under whatever entity governs Texas higher education. And they take federal grant money.

I think picking the school for "cheap and friends" didn't work out well. I'd recoup as much as I could and find a better school for her to attend. She'll learn more, find mentors, and enjoy the industry more. I'd start looking today.

This is the plan. She's taking a leave of absence tomorrow and we are going to research all options.

She's got 700 of the 1500 hours already. According to the school's catalog, she can get a 50% refund if she has 50% or less of her hours completed. So we've got to decide in the next week. Or we'll lose thousands. We paid up front and I'm worried they won't give it back.

No advice, but that sounds awful! I hope you can get that partial refund and that your dd can find a better school.

Thanks. We withdrew her today. Got half our tuition back. Found a school that will take all of her hours. But we're checking out some others too.

• Like 15

I think picking the school for "cheap and friends" didn't work out well. I'd recoup as much as I could and find a better school for her to attend. She'll learn more, find mentors, and enjoy the industry more. I'd start looking today.

Wanted to address this again. 

That wasn't the total reason for picking this school. She had chosen a better school Oct of her senior year. But then she kept changing her mind about what she wanted. She was very emotional, stressed, anxious, etc about deciding what she wanted to do. She had actually settled on working full time and auditioning for local theater and movie parts. I wanted her to do beauty school since it would be an actual skill and she could work in the industry making better money than waitressing while she tried to break into the acting world. Acting is what she would like to do full-time. 

She decided Aug. 1 that she wanted to go to beauty school because this friend was going. I supported it because I thought she had a better chance of getting through it with a friend. Especially considering her mental state at that point. 

She feels like she was at that school for a purpose. Her relationship with the friend hasn't proven to be super supportive. She's been more of a support for the friend, than the friend for her. But she's done all she can for her at this point. She learned a lot about herself and how to work hard through some serious stuff. She's extending her time in school by about 4 months and it's costing her an extra $3500 compared to if she had gone to this school in the first place.

• Like 2