Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Guinevere

How many hours of school does your 13yo do daily?

This is another point of debate in our house right now. How many hours of "sit down with the books at the table" does your 13yo do?

Edited because grammar.

Edited by Guinevere

Hm ... good question.  Probably 4-5 on average.  She does a bunch out of the house that I count as school though too like a full day of co-op, music lessons, etc.  We tend to value quality and efficiency over quantity.  My kid's best work is done by 1 pm anyway.  It seems to be of minimal value to tie her to a table much longer than that anyway.  She has settled down a bit the last 6 months and is doing mostly high school level work.  She's a young 8th grader.

We aren’t 13, but we are 11 and 9 here. Excluding music, I’d say both have a good 4 hours per day of seatwork. With music and bible study that is more like 5. I don’t see this volume changing much until we hit high school, where it will probably look more like 6-ish hours of active study and writing.

My little kids do more like 2-3 hours, max.

Edited by Arctic Mama

At 13, DD finishes her book work in about 4 hours. That didn’t include music practice and that sort of thing.

For contrast, at age 16 and a junior, her school work takes about 5 hours each day of book and online work. Her online classes take the most time.

1.0 - 1.5 hr for math

0.5 - 1.0 hr for writing

0.5 - 1.0 hr for reading

1.0 - 1.5 hr for science/history

1.0 - 2.0 hr for everything else (electives)

Easy days, it's only about 4 hrs. Hard days, 7 hrs. We probably average 5.5 hrs. I really miss the days of 2 - 3 hours of work. I want to play more... lol!

• Like 1

My son just turned 14 & is in 8th grade. He attends co-op one day a week for 5 hours & we do no other school on that day. The other 4 days I’d say school takes on average 4 hours a day. Longer if he takes breaks or dilly dally’s.

13yo in grade 7:

5.5 hours per day on average.

Between 4 and 6.5, depending on the day of the week.

We work for all of our planned school hours, so we don't have the thing where the 'day' ends when a certain quantity of work is accomplished. We say, 'Now what should we do next?' -- and carry on until our planned time to end the school day. Our days are hours-on-task oriented, not quantity/ goal oriented.

It also depends what you "count"... ie: Swimming lessons... physical ed or extra curricular? Educational videos? Educational games? Free reading? Outside semi-social classes? Zoo visits?

Ok, so I'm asking the average. 10 hours of sleep a night (other thread), and 20-25 hours of school. We are on the road a lot between activities, so I expect 4 hours pencil in hand, the other hour is flashcards or reading/studying in the van. I also would like about 4 hours over the weekend of reading/studying.

I also give her weekly and monthly progress goals. It is an amount I know she can do if she doesn't goof around, but she will have to work extra hard on off days if she does.

Edited to clarify that I mean that I see I'm asking about the average amount of work from her.

Edited by Guinevere

Average weekday time is 5-6 hours a day. That includes piano lesson and some practice.

They also have about 2 hours of Spanish in the weekend.

They will be 13 in a few weeks.

My guys are 14, but our work load is about the same as it was when they were 13 in the fall. We average around 4.5 to 5 hours a day. I don't have them do much on the weekends that isn't their own idea unless we have a test coming up.

About 30 hours/week. This doesn’t count piano or cheer practice, and she does some reading at night separate from her usual study time, and some study time in the car. She’s mostly doing classes at the CC, though.

Edited by dmmetler