Menu

How many hours of school does your 13yo do daily?

Guinevere

Hm ... good question.  Probably 4-5 on average.  She does a bunch out of the house that I count as school though too like a full day of co-op, music lessons, etc.  We tend to value quality and efficiency over quantity.  My kid's best work is done by 1 pm anyway.  It seems to be of minimal value to tie her to a table much longer than that anyway.  She has settled down a bit the last 6 months and is doing mostly high school level work.  She's a young 8th grader.

At 13, DD finishes her book work in about 4 hours. That didn’t include music practice and that sort of thing.

For contrast, at age 16 and a junior, her school work takes about 5 hours each day of book and online work. Her online classes take the most time.

1.0 - 1.5 hr for math

0.5 - 1.0 hr for writing

0.5 - 1.0 hr for reading

1.0 - 1.5 hr for science/history

1.0 - 2.0 hr for everything else (electives)

Easy days, it's only about 4 hrs. Hard days, 7 hrs. We probably average 5.5 hrs. I really miss the days of 2 - 3 hours of work. I want to play more... lol!

• Like 1

13yo in grade 7:

5.5 hours per day on average.

Between 4 and 6.5, depending on the day of the week.

We work for all of our planned school hours, so we don't have the thing where the 'day' ends when a certain quantity of work is accomplished. We say, 'Now what should we do next?' -- and carry on until our planned time to end the school day. Our days are hours-on-task oriented, not quantity/ goal oriented.

It also depends what you "count"... ie: Swimming lessons... physical ed or extra curricular? Educational videos? Educational games? Free reading? Outside semi-social classes? Zoo visits?

Ok, so I'm asking the average. 10 hours of sleep a night (other thread), and 20-25 hours of school. We are on the road a lot between activities, so I expect 4 hours pencil in hand, the other hour is flashcards or reading/studying in the van. I also would like about 4 hours over the weekend of reading/studying.

I also give her weekly and monthly progress goals. It is an amount I know she can do if she doesn't goof around, but she will have to work extra hard on off days if she does.

Edited to clarify that I mean that I see I'm asking about the average amount of work from her.

Edited by Guinevere