Menu

Looking for a basic 9x13 baking dish....any suggestions?

Tap

I want to buy a basic 9x13 baking dish for a gift. Something very multipurpose for cakes or casseroles etc.  I am looking for under $30 so not All Clad/ Le Creuset quality please.  Think of it, like you only had room for one cake size pan....what would you want to have?

I have had a glass and a metal baking dish for 20 years and honestly, I only use the metal one a couple times per year (likely when the glass one has something in it already LOL)  I use the glass one weekly. But I don't know if it is just me or if others prefer one over the other too. 

I have Denby stoneware ones too various sizes that I use for casseroles, but I wouldn't think to grab one of them for a cake. 

Any suggestions?

Edited by Tap

I use my Pampered Chef glazed stoneware pans for everything, including brownies (the only reason I don't use them for cake is I never make a 9x13 cake). They look so much prettier than glass for serving. The PC is out of your price range, but I don't know about the brand you mentioned; I was mostly just letting you know I bake in mine.

That said, my second choice is glass.

Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 1

I have a Pyrex that I love and want a second one, but the new Pyrex that I have seen has big handles with a hole in them for your hand and I’m afraid the handle would get broken in the cabinet because I don’t have enough space for it exactly. That’s why I think the Oxo design is better than the current Pyrex design.

• Like 1

I love my old standard pyrex.  Nothing fancy.  But I always wished I had a lid for it.  So I vote for the old classic plus a lid.

(Also, a friend of mine had a glass engraving tool and she engraved my last name on it years ago.  It actually comes in really handy for all the times I've brought it to a "potluck," and otherwise wouldn't have remembered which one was mine.  Maybe you could get it engraved somewhere?)

• Like 2

I prefer my metal ones from USA Pans. They’re inexpensive and high quality. They’re a family owned company and made in the USA. I used to sell Pampered Chef and own a lot of their stoneware, but I have been replacing them a pan at a time with the USA Pans and then donating the stoneware to Goodwill. If I own one piece of bakeware, it’s a USA Pan.

• Like 1

I had Pyrex but one just suddenly exploded for no reason as all and the second one I bought shattered when I dropped it. Then I decided to try stoneware since they were so pretty and I loved my Pampered Chef mini loaf pans. So, I looked around and decided to purchase Sur la Table's stoneware. I bought two because I have a lot of kids. And they are so pretty- perfect from stove to table- and they actually work a little better than the glass. The bottom and sides of anything baked in stoneware just seem to come out really crisp and nice which I love. They call it their Stoneware Baker 3 qt. but I think I might have purchased the 4 qt. but am not sure.

I just saw they had this one! How pretty:

https://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-3711264/Floral+Baker?cat=TCA-257932_Bakers+%26+Casseroles

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 1

But a Pyrex with a kid would be nice too.

Pyrex with the kid is just so versatile and foolproof.

I'm not sure whether to be grateful or feel robbed that my Pyrex did not come with a kid!

That said, I would also vote for Pyrex baking dish.  We've used ours happily for years.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I'm not sure whether to be grateful or feel robbed that my Pyrex did not come with a kid!

That said, I would also vote for Pyrex baking dish. We've used ours happily for years.

Regards,

Kareni

Hahaha! Autocorrect got us both. Lid not kid. 😉
  • Like 2

My Fiestaware pan is my absolute favorite pan of all time.  It's beautiful -- I love the colors -- it bakes wonderfully and it is easy to clean.  

I'm still going to vote again for Fiesta, in spite of the overwhelming majority of Pyrex lovers here. (That's ok.  I don't mind being a minority!)  I have Pyrex also, but my Fiestaware bakes better AND is easier to clean than my Pyrex.  And, colors are prettier than glass.  :)

Edited by mom@shiloh
  • Like 1

I asked for this Anchor Hocking Laurel Rosewater one from Target for Christmas. https://www.target.com/p/anchor-hocking-laurel-3qt-rosewater-bake-dish/-/A-52134592 and got both this and the matching square baker. You could stay under $30 and still give both if you wanted.

I like combining pretty with practical. I have had multiple Pampered Chef stoneware ones for years but I never find myself reaching for them, while I use my glass 9x13 pans all the time. I do wish this one had a lid like the other plain glass one. I had hoped they'd be interchangeable, but the Laurel is just a smidge too big.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

I love my old standard pyrex. Nothing fancy. But I always wished I had a lid for it. So I vote for the old classic plus a lid.

(Also, a friend of mine had a glass engraving tool and she engraved my last name on it years ago. It actually comes in really handy for all the times I've brought it to a "potluck," and otherwise wouldn't have remembered which one was mine. Maybe you could get it engraved somewhere?)

I like this!
  • Like 2

Pyrex and especially the one with the lid. All of mine are older, got for gift long time ago or bought at yard sales or good will

Or were my grandma's. Apparently I take after her and like Pyrex casserole dishes, all shapes and sizes.

She had an amazing big oblong one that I inherited and loved. Then dropoed. I was so sad

Edited by Baseball mom
  • Like 1

Thanks for this link!  I think this is what I inherited from dh's grandmother (at least similar) and I love this pan!  I've been wanting another.  :)

Edited by 6packofun
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone!   i thought everyone would say "stay away from Pyrex because it shatters" lol

I think that is what I will go with.  I don't like the new style.  It is pretty, but we accidentally ended up with one and the longer handles make it not fit my cupboard as easy. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!   i thought everyone would say "stay away from Pyrex because it shatters" lol

I think that is what I will go with.  I don't like the new style.  It is pretty, but we accidentally ended up with one and the longer handles make it not fit my cupboard as easy. 

I know I keep eyeing it.  I really like it, but after my experience..mmmm...I dunno. 

• Like 1

Thanks for this link! I think this is what I inherited from dh's grandmother (at least similar) and I love this pan! I've been wanting another. :)

Bed Bath and Beyond has an almost identical style by Nordicware. The shipping may be cheaper then the link I posted, it was just the first one to pop up.
  • Like 2

My 20 year old Pyrex is still going strong, as is the vintage Pyrex that belonged to my GMIL, I think, and I use them all the time. I do use my newer one with the bigger handles sometimes too, but it does take up more room. (Yes, I have three. It takes that many when I make Mac and cheese for my crew and my friend’s equally large crew when we have play dates.). I’ve never had Pyrex shatter, and I use it all the time.

If I could afford it, I’d buy the baking dishes from my favorite local potter, but it’s pricey. I also don’t know that I’d want to use those for cakes, as they’re heavy and slightly fragile to be tipping upside down. But they would look pretty on my table for dinner.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1