Menu

What an AR-15 does to a body

bibiche

From a doctor who works at the trauma center where victims of the Parkland shooting were brought. It's horrifying. Why does anyone need this weapon? (Rhetorical question, I don't want to hear it. Mostly I want to share this with people who don't know the damage this weapon does. I'm sure people who own them already know and are fine with it.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/02/what-i-saw-treating-the-victims-from-parkland-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/

It simply isn’t true that all rifles do that. Most rifles have more power than most pistols, but rifles do vary in amount of tissue damage they typically inflict. Because different rifles do deliver different levels of damage. The AR-15 does deliver a more powerful amount of damage than many other options available. There’s a reason it’s more popular than some kid practice rifle.

• Like 2

What a jerk that guy is as he totally glosses over the issue of magazine and suggests it’s just black rifles people want to ban.

Yes. There are guns equally lethal and we do need to address the issue of more lethal bullets. But there IS a reason the most common gun is an AR-15 and it’s jerks like him who ignore that who blacken the public perspective about gun owners.

The bullet caliber and type selected controls that far more than the rifle. The gun, itself, is a form factor - a bullet delivery device, as it were. Among the semiautomatic rifles of a given caliber it comes down more to comfort and what is suitable given your stance and range of shot you’re completing.

You keep talking to me like I’m too stupid to know anything about guns. I’m not. I’m have CC even though I do not own guns anymore.

Again. Not all rifles are as lethal as the AR-15 and there is a reason the AR-15 is so popular with mass shooters. We cannot ignore those factors and have a legitimate discussion about reasonable gun regulations.

The discussion can be how to mitigate the lethalness. It can be about mitigating lethal ammo. It can be about many things. But ignoring that the specific AR-14 is a commonality for a reason and ridiculing people who bring up that valid line of argument just makes gun owners look either crazy or jerks and does nothing to work towards a solution.

• Like 1