Menu

Anyone taken the Narnia (English) class at TPS? Or has anyone had Mrs. Talbert? Any feedback?

My daughter took Journey to Narnia at TPS in 7th grade. It was the best middle school English course we've had. It was perfect for my dd.... good lit, beginnings of lit analysis, some vocab each week, reading questions every week (some comprehension, but mostly they went a little beyond simple comprehension), writing of some sort every week (usually two paragraphs, one related to the text, one more of a creative writing assignment), ....

She did not have Mrs. Talbert, but I don't remember right now who she had.

One of my sons had Mrs. Talbert for English 1 last yeat.  She is very nice, with a lovely southern drawl. 

My ds had a weird year in there, but it was entirely a function of his immaturity, and my lack of awareness that there was a problem.  Apparently one of his older brothers had had a "man-to-man" discussion with him at the beginning of the year about doing his own work, not asking me for help all the time, etc.--because this older brother thought another one of my sons depended on me too much (probably true at that point--he's a bit lazy, lol, but that has improved with age).  So then ds4 never asked me for help.  Ever. The whole year, even when I would ask him how things were going, if he was understanding, etc.  It was always, "It's going fine!"  

But it wasn't.  Ds didn't understand all of the feedback he was getting or how to implement it, so he was actually getting more and more frustrated, and then it all came to a boiling point!  Mrs. Talbert was so understanding and helpful through the "crisis".  She recommended that ds do Journey Through Narnia this year, since he didn't have a high enough grade to automatically advance to English 2.  We also decided to "redshirt" him, and call this year another 8th grade year.  This whole situation played a part in that decision, but it was more just indicative of a lack of maturity and high school readiness.  This year I've seen definite growth, and I'm really glad we made that decision. 

If she hadn't suggested Journey Through Narnia, I don't know if I even would have thought of it!  Ds has really enjoyed the class, and it has given him his confidence back (and this year he really hasn't needed my help much at all!)  Ds had a different teacher for it though, and I can't recall off the top of my head who it is.  He likes her too though.  

• Like 1