Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

s/o suspended: Things That Happened To You In School That Would NEVER Happen Today

just for a change, here is one that would never have happened in my day:  day after Halloween, there is a candy toll to get in to your middle school classroom.  seems certain teachers are on health plans enforced by their spouses that mean they didn't get anything at home.  There is also a school wide costume parade during the school day on the last school day before Halloween.  In my day, Halloween was only in middle school as a vocab set and culture lesson in FL. Probably read The Headless Horsemen in 8th English. any costume was for a private party, if we went out t-or-t it meant we were there are the responsible babysitter taking littles around. 

my band teacher did wing erasers at the young men in percussion who wouldn't pay attention...my son's told me he was not allowed to do that, he had a whole paperwork procedure.  Made me think of the Christmas Story movie.

in my day, we played baseball in the spring at recess, 2nd grade on up.  all organized by the dc. no kid whacked another with a bat, and people that weren't interested didn't spend recess interfering. everyone brought what they had, and expected to lend a glove or a bat to a kid that didn't have on to bring.  today, there is no running at recess and the dc can't bring anything from home. 

Edited by Heigh Ho
  • Like 1

Not exactly school related but this would not happen today. So many lawsuits waiting to happen. So I took dance lessons once a week after school. The dance school had 2 locations one within walking distance of my elementary school (I was in the 5th grade at the time) and the other a few miles away. This being the 70's like most families we were a 1 car family. Mother arranged for my dance teacher to pick me up at the school located near my school. so after school I would walk to the dance school, stopping at the corner store first for a snack then proceed to the dance school rain, shine, snow etc. I went. One day was rainy and someone was leaving the dance school let me in the building to wait for my ride to the other location. Well this dance school was also a gymnastic center with all the awesome equipment balance beams, uneven bars etc. I was left alone in the building so I played on all of equipment while I waited for my dance teacher. Oh the joys of living in the 70's when there was not so much fear of people or law suits etc.

The other school thing is the custodian of the elementary school would come out and play with us at recess.

We walked on top of snowbanks that were created when the snow was clears from the black top. We still played dodge ball, prepared for track and field day with an actual high jump bar and a mat. The boiler room door was left open. The rest rooms were in the basement and you went by yourself if you had to go during the lessons, we had to carry our hot lunch think tv dinner on top of a small white tray that held dessert I burnt my fingers a lot that year. One day the cafeteria oven did not work so we get pbj.

The year one of our classmates died she had planned for the class to go to her house to see the amazing dollhouse her grandfather had made for her. After she passed her family invited the class over to her house. After school our teacher walked us a few blocks to the girls house to see this dollhouse our classmate was so proud of and gave us all a popsicle. I really don't remember how I got home that day.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 1

I went to college to become a band director.  I wondered at the time if my "Band Literature and Marching Technique" class was also going to cover proper chair/stand/baton throwing.

LOL, I never had a band director who threw stuff. We did, however, have one who had a long-term affair with one of his students. He was married and in his 40's, maybe older. She was a close friend of my sister's. Her mother knew, and approved. (His wife did not!)

Sadly, I suppose that's no less likely to happen today.

LOL, I never had a band director who threw stuff. We did, however, have one who had a long-term affair with one of his students. He was married and in his 40's, maybe older. She was a close friend of my sister's. Her mother knew, and approved. (His wife did not!)

Sadly, I suppose that's no less likely to happen today.

Yeah, throwing stuff is the least of the dysfunction in band programs. There's a reason (or twenty) why I'm not teaching.

• Like 1

Yeah, throwing stuff is the least of the dysfunction in band programs. There's a reason (or twenty) why I'm not teaching.

Wait, can you explain? My 5th grader wants to start band next year and I assumed band is typically a pretty wholesome environment...

• Like 1

I bet you are younger than the ones commenting about these things.

Agreed, I think we are mostly talking about the era before the phrase "zero tolerance" was ever used for anything. The smoking areas for students are the other generational marker.

• Like 2

I remember at a small Christian school, show and tell was HUGE and you always wanted to get up and say something.  One of my friends brought in her dummy and did a little ventriloquist act.

She proceeded to ask the dummy who he liked in the class and who he didn't like.  There was a boy that was always picked on.  His name was Keith.  I remember it so well, and I was all of 2nd grade.  She had the dummy "tell" all the reasons he didn't like Keith.  He was fat, he smelled, he said dumb things, and on and on.  The class laughed.

I can't believe the teacher didn't stop it.  I wish I had been mature enough to say something. 

Walking to & from school etc. is of course a whole other topic - I thought they started school at age 4-6 because that was when kids were smart enough to walk themselves to their neighborhood school.  Most people in my generation and older have a funny (in retrospect) story about a time when it went wrong, but the kid always found his/her way home before bedtime.

As for rough weather, I lived in the northern midwest, so yeah.  On rare occasions they would close school in the middle of the day and send everyone home.  Those of us who had working parents were on our own.  Of course we all had house keys for that reason.  Such a contrast from today when the news reports (and the lawyers pursue) every time the school doesn't deliver a kid into the parents' hands exactly as expected each day.

• Like 4

My 2/3 grade classes were mostly boys, so our teacher used to throw parties just for the girls at her house. She would drive us all there in her van and drive all of us home after the party.

I had lots of rides with teachers--male and female. Nobody thought anything of it. My parents were glad that they didn't have to come pick me up. 

I remember one day in 2nd grade when a 5th grade teacher walked into our class carrying one of my classmates over his shoulder. The teacher was running late, and came across my classmate, also running late, trying to thumb a ride to school. Teacher picked him up, lectured him, and carried him into the class. 

I spent lots of hours in the band director's office, talking with him. With nobody else around. That wouldn't be allowed today. His mentorship was good for me, and we're still friends today. 

My 6th grade science teacher was maybe 5' tall, and he made up for it by carrying around a yardstick and slapping it on the table next to anybody who wasn't paying attention. I babysat his kids once. 

One of my brothers' classmates had physical disabilities and used a wheelchair. He used to push her through the hallways, running at full speed, and make a sharp turn just before he would have run her into the wall. They both thought it was great fun. I can't imagine the liability concerns today. 

• Like 1

In Kindergarten we had to change into our gym clothes--boys and girls--in the classroom.  Together.  I begged to use the bathroom and was only occasionally allowed by a teacher helper, but never if the old bat teacher was on her own.  It made me cry more than once and I wasn't the only one.  The girls would move desks to create barriers or try to hide under them and most of the boys ran around in their underwear fighting and being obnoxious.  

I'd like to think that would never happen today, but you never know what this culture will do.

I was also held back a year and started Kindergarten right before turning 6, so when I knew everything they were learning the teacher just made me her "helper" and I had to help other kids instead of getting something on my level to learn.  A few times she even made me stay in from recess to help her with stuff.  I felt penalized and it didn't help me make friends, that's for sure.

Wait, can you explain? My 5th grader wants to start band next year and I assumed band is typically a pretty wholesome environment...

It's hard to explain.  It's no more or less wholesome than any other class or activity, especially at the middle school level.  If anything, it self-selects for students who are actively choosing to learn music and (generally) have the parent support to deal with instrument rental and home practice and all that.

The idea of chair throwing sounds crazy, but the familiarity of having the same group of kids for three middle school years, many who gravitate toward the band room even when they aren't in class, can bring a director's guard down.  And affection/approval seeking can lead to kids not speaking up or realizing how wrong it is.  It's certainly not a given, but common enough that many of us experienced the same sort of behavior.

Especially by high school, any activity which can consume an inordinate amount of time, where you become closely attached to the same group of kids, where you might see the director more than your own parents, can easily fall into something unhealthy and boundary stomping.  Start poking holes in the director's maturity, add in difficult home situations and the emotional roller coaster of music and competition and relationships and teenagerness and power dynamics... you can see how things start heading south.

I'm not discouraging my kids from it.  I require music study.  Heck, they exist because I married the guy that stood next to me in jazz band.  But I have mixed feelings about the environment, especially after I ended up briefly on the other side of the baton.  I'm not ignorant anymore of what can possibly go wrong.

• Like 1

I got in a fist fight on the playground in 4th grade with a boy over the soccer field. They sent us to the principal's office. It was Valentine's Day. We had to attend the class party together. LOL!! 

One day my brother was skipping class in high school. The Supe lived down the street and saw him walking to school. He gave him a ride to the high school. LOL!!

I don't think I ever told anyone... lol. My brush with the authorities.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

My almost brush with authority is when I accidentally stole a car and took it for a 'joy' ride. 

I was dropping my younger cousin off at snowboarding lessons. I helped him carry his stuff into the ski lodge. I then walked back to my car a 2 door chevy sprint. Unlocked the door - with my key. Started the car easily - with my key. Drove away. I then noticed that someone had stolen my fancy car mats, ... and the garbage in the back? 

I was in the wrong car!!!!

I pulled over, collected myself. Drove back to the ski lodge sure I would be in so much trouble. No one was around. I parked the 'stolen' car, then ran to my car and drove away. 

I later found out that for my car, a Chevy sprint - they only made about 16 different keys. So that is was a common problem. 

I was so scared that the police would be there, and the owner of the car would be extremely mad (And in my mind I pictured the car owner as a 6foot 5 huge man. - How such a person would fit in a small shitty 2 door Chevy sprint, I have no clue.) I was also only gone about 8 minutes. As if the owner would find his car missing, call the cops, and have them arrive all in 8 minutes. 

• Like 3

Not sure what they are doing these days in gym class, buy I suspect they aren't using a skinfold caliper to measure students in front of everyone and then announce who had too much body fat.

That’s horrible. They never did that at our schools. I graduated in 1995.

One trend that I hope has ended is the attitude toward students who weren’t athletic. I was a very good student, consistently at the top of the class, but I was tiny and rather uncoordinated. I never, ever would have picked on anyone for being in lower tracked classes or for not doing as well as I did on a test. But gym wasn’t tracked, and we did receive actual letter grades that affected our GPAs for gym. I think it’s fine that they did that because everyone deserves a chance for a GPA-boosting A in their skill set, and I managed to get As in gym because large parts of our grades were based on effort/improvement and written tests on the rules of sports. Okay, fine. But the teachers never stopped the other kids from teasing me because I wasn’t good at sports. Why was that acceptable? I hope that’s ended now.

• Like 2

We had Domino's on the band director's speed dial for use after school.

Now everyone just uses their own personal smartphone with an app.

• Like 1

This happened in Maryland in the 1980s...  In 8th grade, a kid in the classroom next to mine brought his dad's gun to school (police officer). I don't know why he did it, but I heard that he did not know it was in his backpack or something like that.  The gun fell out of his backpack.  The kid was removed from school for 2 years but I saw him again in 10th grade. We ran cross country together, and he was a nice kid.

The really amazing thing is that when the gun fell out of his backpack- the school day continued uninterrupted- no lockdown or big police response.  The police officer dad was fired from his job though.

My second grade public school teacher had us all recite the Lord's prayer daily. I had no idea what I was doing.

I add my agreement to hating red rover. Do gym teachers still appoint team captains to take turns picking people that they want for their teams? I was ALWAYS last.

The craziest situation that I can remember was at my hs dry grad. Here in BC we don't do proms but have a big prom like graduation party. One of our teachers, Mr. X, moonlighted as hypnotist and so did a hypnotism show for the graduating class. A couple of our male teachers were retiring so as part of our show Mr X told the hypnotized girls that they were all a part of a beauty pageant and that they needed to parade past these two retiring teachers who would be their judges. They would need to compete to get the win the contest. What resulted was that the girls basically did lap dances for these teachers one after another! It was so repulsive. :ohmy:

So many of the ones already mentioned have been my experience as well, teens with their own smoking area, paddling, teacher's giving rides, etc.

Probably the one that left a lasting impression on me and that I know would cause a stampede of parents today was when I was in P.E. in ninth grade. It was a mixed class of all ages/grades and every time, we didn't have P.E. due to athletics taking over the basketball court, some of the junior and senior boys would sit up in the bleachers and dip tobacco. They didn't have spit cup so they would just spit it on the ground.

On this day, the coach caught two of them and he came flying up into the bleachers grabbed them up by the back of their shirts and looked at the mess they'd made on the floor. He then proceeded to tell them to get down on the their hands and knees and LICK UP the mess. At first, I don't think they believed him, but he was dead serious. They started freaking out and crying, but he forced them down on the ground and did it. He had two of us bring trash cans up there because they started getting sick and would pause every so often to vomit into the trash can before continuing to lick it up.  :ack2:

We were all totally traumatized by witnessing this and the guys who had to do it weren't seen the rest of the day. As far as I know, though, the coach never got it trouble and those guys never dipped during P.E. again.

• Like 1

In middle school, 6-8th grade, we were allowed to go off campus for lunch! We would walk to the local pizzeria and order a small pizza to share between 6? of us.

I can’t even imagine that being allowed today.

I thought of another...

Co-ed middle school wrestling! :scared: 

As long as we were in the same weight category we could wrestle one another. My gym teacher must have been perverted.

Well...the stupid was high in my school days. I had a friend who was suspended for 3 days for bringing a knife to school. It was a kitchen knife, which she had taken directly to the teacher's lounge, along with a cake for the teachers, so that said cake could be sliced.

We only had one gun incident though. Some boys old enough to drive left the rifles in the gun rack of their pickup after a weekend hunting trip and parked on school grounds. They also got suspended, probably in-school, for a few days.

I remember hanging out with someone who smoked in the restroom. Why they didn't have smoke alarms is beyond me, it's not like it was legal.

I would like to think the punks who left a banana on our table and called me a dyke and my friend a slut would get more than the slap on the wrist they got for their harassment back then...but given I lived in small town Texas, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Our middle school was a polling place.  On election day we still had school, but the gym was used for voting.

The general public had immediate access to the whole of the school, but no one thought anything of it.

We used to have "mini course day" each year.  Various men and women (often parents) would come into the school and give classes in all sort of things.  One guy gave a "truck driving" course.  There was karate, cake decorating, hair styling, and many others.  I'm fairly sure none of these adults were screened - how would they be, before internet ....

Speaking of karate - they used to offer certain courses only to boys or only to girls.  In 8th grade, the boy gym classes got to take karate while the girl gym classes had to take dance (line dancing).  HATED that.

They did force everyone, both sexes to take 9 weeks of "home ec" and 9 weeks of "shop" in 8th grade.  Not sure how much of that cooking, cutting, sawing, drilling, etc. is allowed in middle schools nowadays ....

Yes, the times they are a-changin'...

I was thinking of a couple incidents that happened to me in school in the 70's and 80's that would NEVER happen today.

1.  When I was in kindergarten, I was chasing a boy on the playground to hit him with my little purse.  (Yeah, yeah, I know.)  He ran up to the teacher who was big and pregnant and knitting on the bench under a tree.  Since I was chasing him, I ended up right there as well.  He tattled on me.  The teacher told me to give my purse to the boy.  Then she allowed the boy to hit me with it.  :lol:  I learned a valuable lesson that day!

2.  When I was in 3rd grade, I was being a little stinker to the teacher and wouldn't lift my head off my desk despite her attempts to make me look up.  Finally, the teacher threw the chalkboard eraser at me.  I threw it back at her.  :lol:  Life went on.

3.  Dodgeball.  One team had all the balls, and the other team had to avoid being hit.  The targets were huddled up against the brick wall of the school as the balls came pelting toward them.  Need I say more?  :lol:  Awesome stuff.

4.  One day in 1st grade my mother came and picked me up early from school.  I got into the car and asked her why she picked me up early.  She said she just wanted to let me come home in time to watch the Mickey Mouse Club.  No other reason.  :lol:

Oh gosh, there's probably so many more if I thought long enough.

None of those things would have happened when I was in school in Washington or Oregon in the 1980s or 1990s, except (4) and (4) could still happen today.

Co-ed middle school wrestling! 

Happens today.

The really amazing thing is that when the gun fell out of his backpack- the school day continued uninterrupted- no lockdown or big police response.  The police officer dad was fired from his job though.

They wouldn't close our schools for that either, not if there was no credible threat. The class would be moved and he'd definitely get a suspension and dad, fired, just like happened in that situation. 

I can remember the big brouhaha when the school eliminated the student smoking lounge. I can't remember how old I was when that happened but it was well into the late '80's or early '90's.

Ditto! The smoking lounge became the senior lounge and nobody sat down there anymore but freshmen. The seniors would leave campus.

• Like 1

Back in high school, my friends and I used to pierce our ears with ice cubes and needles. In speech class, we had to give a "how to" speech and demonstrate how to do something. One of my friends did "how to piece ears" and pierced my ear in front of the class. Not sure if that would fly these days...

• Like 2

In middle school, 6-8th grade, we were allowed to go off campus for lunch! We would walk to the local pizzeria and order a small pizza to share between 6? of us.

I can’t even imagine that being allowed today.

They can do this at my dd13s school if the parent checks the box that says they can leave school grounds at lunch at the beginning of the year.  And in reality, the kids often go off anyway at lunch.  High school kids can go and leave as they like.

In kinder (1975) my teacher told me my left handed-ness was caused by the devil and tied my left hand behind my back to my chair so I couldn't use it for coloring, or cutting or writing.  Because I had never been to school before I had no idea this was not normal, but when I started having terrible stomach aches before school my mom figured out something was up and raised a ruckus.  

In the third grade my teacher made fun of me in front of the class for counting on my fingers for multiplication.  For the rest of the morning she called me a baby and talked to me in baby talk, so I left school at lunch & walked home, and refused to go back to that class until I was transferred to to other 3rd grade class.

I missed every Monday of the 6th grade because I had such anxiety about going to school.  Still got straight A's & passed, but I am pretty sure I would have failed based on absences alone.  

I refused to do PE during high school.  I was dancing 2-3 hours/ day.  During volleyball, I would stand there & watch the ball bounce by without moving.  During the times when we were supposed to run laps, I would walk. You'd think I would have been failed but I wasn't.  The principal's son was my age and in many of my classes.  He was a complete stoner.  Somehow, he ended up as my partner in Chem, Bio, Spanish 1 & 2.  As long as I pulled him through with a passing C-/ D+, I didn't fail PE, in fact I got a B, to keep up my GPA.  One year the female coach was on maternity leave so the JV boys basketball coach was our PE teacher.  He would chase after the girls that he didn't think were putting enough effort into running, he would run right behind them yelling & screaming.  He tried that exactly once with me & I called him a "PE Nazi." and refused to pick up the pace.  My parents were called in to the office for a meeting with the principal, the coach & myself.  The coach said he was going to fail me for non-participation & I said he'd be looking at a lawsuit for the way he chased the girls (I had no idea what I was talking about.) The principal decided it was a draw & I had study hall PE (with her kid) for the rest of the year.  My senior year I could finally drop PE and that is when I got straight A's.

My Algebra teacher would throw things at students like dry erase markers, erasers, tissue boxes, etc.  Pretty sure that wouldn't fly today.

My AP Chemistry teacher used to give everyone rude nicknames based things like your religion or race.  When we learned about nuclear chemistry & he was drawing diagrams of how different types of nuclear reactors or nuclear power plants worked he would always draw an LDS (Mormon) church on the board so that he could draw a disaster happening and the Mormon church catching fire and people running out of it on fire because "Mormons deserve to burn."  Not really sure what we ever did to him but that was a long unit.

In Health class during the multiple choice parts of tests there was always an inappropriate answer.  For example:  What is a hormone? One of the choices was "The sound a whore makes when she is enjoying her work."

The AP Bio class dissected all kinds of things (cats, fetal pigs, etc) and after they were done the instructor would use the leftovers to play practical jokes.  As in a skinned cat swinging at your head when you opened the door to the lab closet months later.  Hilarious, I tell you (sarcasm.)

Coming from a tiny little town in a rural area where everyone hunted, gun racks in trucks were everywhere on school campus.

Ah memories.....You couldn't pay  me enough to go through high school again.

Edited to add:  My Chemistry teacher would give extra credit if you would eat something disgusting that he had found that day.  He went looking for moldy cafeteria food, feces, leftover bits from biology class dissections, etc.  Kids would bring him disgusting things.  The daily disgusting item would sit on his desk in a tupperware container that was never washed & if you failed the daily quiz you could take the fail or eat one bite of the item.  I am not kidding.  

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ

In 1st and 2nd grade at the Little Red Schoolhouse there was a lake (maybe it was a pond, it seemed big then) to the edge of the playground. We’d go down to the bank and look for frogs and turtles. The adventurous kids would jump the fence in the back and play in the woods.

My bff and I had asked our moms to write us permission slips to not attend school the last day of 9th grade, which we turned in the day before, and we then got together, got her horse bridled up, and rode the horse through the school yards during school hours. baha. We were EXCUSED. What fun.

Yes, those were the days of smokers lounge, supervised by smoking teachers. If you didn't have permission on record from your parents, you couldn't be there.

And the pot smokers on the parking lots sitting in their cars before school, hooking class and during lunch. Kids aren't doing that still? 

4th grade when the vice principal grabbed one of the boys in my class by the scruff of the neck and threw him through the air out in the hall; he landed about 10 feet away. That vp was an awful person. 

The day we were all sent home early in 5th grade because of the outbreak of sissy test on students' hands. They'd scratch the top of the hand until it bled. Idiots.

Oooh. The sit-in the high schoolers had because the administration decided to not have a dance for some really stupid reason. So after 2nd period everyone went to the lobby and sat down in protest. Vice principals and snitchy teachers were taking names. They wrote my name down. My parents got a letter. The sit-in made front page above the fold news next day. I told my dad that I couldn't get to class, too many people in the way and no other exit. That was sort of true. 

Edited by Gaillardia

Wow, Amber in SJ, if this were a competition of the worst things that any of us experienced in school...

Of course, I hadn't read the whole thread when I posted the above comment. What the heck is going on in schools? Ever. 

Edited by Gaillardia
  • Like 2

Did anyone else have "senior skip day"?

Oh and "senior cuts" in the lunch line?

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Our middle school was a polling place. On election day we still had school, but the gym was used for voting.

The general public had immediate access to the whole of the school, but no one thought anything of it.

Schools were used for polling places here right up until the state went to all mail in voting. That was roughly 10 years ago? I know my brother voted in 2000 in a school gym. I have always voted mail in by choice. Churches and schools were the most common spots.

Schools were used for polling places here right up until the state went to all mail in voting. That was roughly 10 years ago? I know my brother voted in 2000 in a school gym. I have always voted mail in by choice. Churches and schools were the most common spots.

Our polling place still is a school - it's a K-2 school; we vote in the gym.

• Like 1

My polling place is a school, but schools here* are closed for election day.

ETA: * I live in a different place than where I grew up.

Edited by Junie

Yeah, my polling place is a school too.  It used to be open for classes on election day, but recently they started giving the kids that day off - no doubt because of the modern paranoia about child snatchers.

Our polling place still is a school - it's a K-2 school; we vote in the gym.

Yeah, I think if we still had polling places they would still be in schools. The state went all mail in though so there aren’t really any polling places per say. There are a few counties with like one polling place and there are a few offices in each area where people who need assistive technology can go. The schools were open on Election Day here.

Edited by LucyStoner

My sister, who was just 16 months older than I was, turned 18 during her Senior year and the school stopped contacting our parents about anything.  She wrote her own notes excusing herself from school and the school never called my parents.  The school didn't contact our parents when she was tardy, or if she didn't show up at all.  She could sign her own report card, but I had to get mine signed to prove I had shown it to my parents.  It was weird.  I was so jealous.  I didn't turn 18 until after I graduated from high school and left home for college.  I have no idea what the rules are for a student that turns 18 during the school year now, but I am pretty sure they are not allowed excuse themselves from school, right?

I never received a paper diploma from my high school because they claimed that I had not returned a textbook I had been assigned in a class that I never took.  Apparently someone wrote my name on the list with the textbook # on the first day of class and no one checked to see if people were writing down their own names.  Two years later, at the end of my senior year, I was pulled aside three weeks before graduation and told I would not receive my diploma unless I returned that textbook or paid for it.  I had already been admitted into college so I made sure they mailed me and my college a complete transcript and walked away.  I have a lovely diploma from the university I attended :)  I don't know if a school can hold your diploma hostage now, particularly on account of a missing textbook in a class for which I had no grade that didn't appear on my transcripts.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

One of my high school teachers had the 'food policy' that you could have food in his class as long as you bring some for everyone and 2x for him. (Not sure what food policies high schools have now... we could eat in hallways and each teacher had their own policy).

One day, I was in the hallway eating a cinamon bun (I was finished the work in my class so was in the hallway). I had about 1/4 of the bun left. A friend needed to ask that teacher a question, and I accompanied her to that classroom and stayed in the hallway while my friend talked to the teacher at the doorway. His class at that moment was a very small class (6 were there that day) that were all my close friends. He saw me with the cinamon bun and physically dragged me into his classroom and declared me eating in his classroom and I needed to provide for everyone. As it was a small class, and my friends, and I had money that day, I shrugged and ran to the cafeteria and bought 2 buns and cut them in quarters... gave the 6 to the 6 students and 2 to him. He tried to say I owed everyone a full cinamon bun, but I pointed out I only had 1/4 left in his classroom.

But yes, besides the food that probably isn't allowed.... a male teacher physically dragging a female student into a room for no reason....

This teacher charged rent on pencils and calculators too....

He was great... lo.

After the first few days of kindergarten (early 80s), I walked to and from school without a parent. Usually with 2 other kindergarteners, but one eventually moved and the other would be home sick sometimes. It does amuse me, because I haven't lived anywhere as an adult where 5yos have been allowed to do anything without an adult.

In middle school, we'd all stand under the building's overhang for 20-30 minutes during a bomb threat, then go back in.

In high school, I could walk into a building without metal detectors, security, uniforms, backpack rules, etc.

I'd also "cut" lunch and literally never get caught. Which was really just adults looking the other way, because we'd drive right past the main office and eat in our tiny town's only real cafe, where everyone knew we were supposed to be in school.

Oh yes, I was the 70's.... walking to and from school alone (or with friends if you happened to leave at the same time)

I've never experienced a bomb threat or lockdown.

I went to the mall at lunchtime since about grade 6. Every school was 'open'.

I also went back to old schools to visit teachers I had liked.... without reporting at the office.

• Like 1

Our middle school was a polling place. On election day we still had school, but the gym was used for voting.

That still happens here, although I think they try to keep people on a direct path to the gym.

About 15 years ago I had trained to work election day, but then was not needed. Partway through the day I got called to go work. There had been a minor incident at one of the schools/polling places, so they put more staff on. Yup, I got to sit on a chair at a hallway corner to direct people towards the gym / polling place (right by the sign pointing towards it) because someone took a knife to a different school across town. No idea what I was expected to do if something happened where I was...

• Like 1

My sister, who was just 16 months older than I was, turned 18 during her Senior year and the school stopped contacting our parents about anything.  She wrote her own notes excusing herself from school and the school never called my parents.  The school didn't contact our parents when she was tardy, or if she didn't show up at all.  She could sign her own report card, but I had to get mine signed to prove I had shown it to my parents.  It was weird.  I was so jealous.  I didn't turn 18 until after I graduated from high school and left home for college.  I have no idea what the rules are for a student that turns 18 during the school year now, but I am pretty sure they are not allowed excuse themselves from school, right?

Why wouldn't an 18yo be allowed to excuse himself?

When I was in school, they didn't call the parents at all if you didn't show up or were tardy, no matter how old you were.  I know because my siblings and I skipped school plenty.  :P  If my parents found out, it was because the neighbor blabbed. 

The policy of having to call to tell the school your kid is going to be absent was non-existent when I was young.  They started that when my younger siblings were growing up.  It annoyed my mom and she generally didn't call.  They'd call her after about an hour and scold her for not calling them.

And parents didn't have to sign report cards from grade 7 on up.

On the negative side, they didn't bother to tell parents their kids were failing until it was too late.  My gifted brother was about to flunk 2nd grade because he hadn't bothered to turn in a lot of work.  My mom and dad forced him to sit up for a few late nights and finish it all.

• Like 1

It's hard to explain.  It's no more or less wholesome than any other class or activity, especially at the middle school level.  If anything, it self-selects for students who are actively choosing to learn music and (generally) have the parent support to deal with instrument rental and home practice and all that.

The idea of chair throwing sounds crazy, but the familiarity of having the same group of kids for three middle school years, many who gravitate toward the band room even when they aren't in class, can bring a director's guard down.  And affection/approval seeking can lead to kids not speaking up or realizing how wrong it is.  It's certainly not a given, but common enough that many of us experienced the same sort of behavior.

Especially by high school, any activity which can consume an inordinate amount of time, where you become closely attached to the same group of kids, where you might see the director more than your own parents, can easily fall into something unhealthy and boundary stomping.  Start poking holes in the director's maturity, add in difficult home situations and the emotional roller coaster of music and competition and relationships and teenagerness and power dynamics... you can see how things start heading south.

I'm not discouraging my kids from it.  I require music study.  Heck, they exist because I married the guy that stood next to me in jazz band.  But I have mixed feelings about the environment, especially after I ended up briefly on the other side of the baton.  I'm not ignorant anymore of what can possibly go wrong.

a lot of this doesn't happen now due to security, fire safety, and sexual harrassment prevention guidelines...depending on how seriously your district is lawyered up

here:

in school lessons are group, cancelled if only one shows up; a 1:1 does not happen unless the pianist doesn't show up for a rehearsal for a solo audition and its the week before the audition...in which case its 1:1 long enough to get another kid out of study hall. 

End of day picking up the instrument from locker is limited, there will never be just one teacher supervising, always two.

there is no wandering the hallways or hanging out in the band room. a student is in the assigned classroom or in transit to an assigned adult in an assigned room if not exiting during nonpassing time.   must have document from the receiving teacher and good reason. hanging out is not a good reason here.  All passes pre-approved and on office list if going to a teacher's classroom, list is reviewed by an AP.

practice rooms are not available for student use unless a student is auditioning for area all state or higher or is in musical. Privilege is lost if misused. 

erasers aren't thrown at percussion, a designated percussionist near the inattentive is sarge. 

we have no section leaders, no audtions for chairs, as the parents are out of control cut throat nasty.  Our band director is beyond excellent at not allowing the parents to influence his program or prevent poorer students from excelling.  if you have that situation, make sure your dc's instrument or equipment is locked up when not in his hands. 

Oh, I thought of another one: rifle racks on the back windows of students' pick up trucks. With rifles in them. At school. As if that would ever fly today. LOL

Yes the boys would come to school after they'd been out hunting early in the morning during deer season. There was complete clarity about why those racks were in the trucks and no issues at all. My father kept a gun locked in the glove box in the trunk of the car. When I drove the car to school, I took a gun onto school property, but I never thought about it being an issue and neither did my parents, who were teachers. They knew I wouldn't touch it.

I remember at a small Christian school, show and tell was HUGE and you always wanted to get up and say something. One of my friends brought in her dummy and did a little ventriloquist act.

She proceeded to ask the dummy who he liked in the class and who he didn't like. There was a boy that was always picked on. His name was Keith. I remember it so well, and I was all of 2nd grade. She had the dummy "tell" all the reasons he didn't like Keith. He was fat, he smelled, he said dumb things, and on and on. The class laughed.

I can't believe the teacher didn't stop it. I wish I had been mature enough to say something.

f

Wow, what a jerk! I can’t believe the teacher didn’t stop it.

• Like 1

I remembered another one. 

My Algebra 3/Trig teacher didn't care if kids came to class or paid attention.  As long as you came for the tests and passed them, he wouldn't mark down for anything else, and you could pass the class.  I used to sit in class and read if it was something I understood well.  I think he was trying to show us that it was necessary to study and pay attention in class to do well.  It may have worked for some people, especially those who bailed on class completely.  Didn't work for me because I was always better at figuring things out from the textbook, rather than the sloooooow pace of the class.

I had other teachers that would let me go to the library if I was bored.  I was a quiet kid who never got in trouble.

I know when dh was in school in the very early 70's, teachers were much less concerned about class attendance and more likely to treat high schoolers like almost-adults, and not micro-manage every second of the day.

We got an 1 1/2 lunch break in elementary school. We walked home for lunch and walked back. It was great. My mom always made lunch for us, and we had to time to play before walking back. We also got two recesses a day. 

• Like 2

Did anyone else have "senior skip day"?

Oh and "senior cuts" in the lunch line?

Senior skip day is still a thing around here.

No senior cuts in the cafeteria... They go to the nearby restaurants.

Lack of guns on gun racks is now enforced more severely but in the country they still have the racks. How else would we get venison sausage?

Some of your stories are horrifying. I am sorry.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1