Menu

Edhesive AP Comp. Science A on Transcript

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

DD is taking the self-directed version of Edhesive's AP Comp Science A. The course is denoted as AP. Am I allowed to call the course AP on the transcript if DD is self-studying, or do I need to submit a syllabus to the College Board for approval?

I read on a previous thread that Sebastian, a Lady, posted a how-to on submitting AP syllabi to the CB for approval, but I can't for the life of me, find it on the forum. If anyone has easy access to the link please let me know.

Thank you!

For Edhesive to label their course as AP, they should have already obtained approval to label it as an AP course. Therefore I would label it AP on my transcript.

I don't do anything different for our AP courses through PAHS and next year through Edhesive, I plan on calling the course AP as it is designated.

If the provider has AP approval, you can label it AP without submitting your own syllabus.

If you want to submit a syllabus for other subjects, I think this is Sebastian's thread that you need. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499453-ap-course-audit-need-help-with-process/

Once you have an account, the approval process is pretty easy.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Not in this case. It is a bit different. I had s coaches acct when ds took this class. Each teacher/coach had to adopt the syllabus in order for their school to list it as an AP class. It is less an online class than a kinda if virtual textbook or something.

Fwiw, that is the same with Aleks classes.

You can label it Honors Computer Science A with AP test.

Yes, my kid did this course.  We decided not to do the AP test.  He didn't really enjoy it and scheduling was an issue anyway.  I had just labeled it as edhesive did so I'd love to know what you hear from them.

Would you mind sharing why he didn't enjoy it?

Would you mind sharing why he didn't enjoy it?

Oh - I think it was a good course.  It was a lot of pretty dry boring work.  The programming he had done to that point had been more "fun" I guess.  He was actually thinking of doing comp sci as a major in college but totally changed course after taking that.  Funny, since both DH and I have degrees in comp sci and have worked in software engineering.

• Like 1

Oh - I think it was a good course.  It was a lot of pretty dry boring work.  The programming he had done to that point had been more "fun" I guess.  He was actually thinking of doing comp sci as a major in college but totally changed course after taking that.  Funny, since both DH and I have degrees in comp sci and have worked in software engineering.

But this is so key - a good class can make or break interest in a field! I really think programming and AI is where the world is going, and I don't want him to have a bad experience with this. I wish there was a Lego Robotics enhanced AP computer science curriculum. I wish we engaged kids more, especially boys!

• Like 3

But this is so key - a good class can make or break interest in a field! I really think programming and AI is where the world is going, and I don't want him to have a bad experience with this. I wish there was a Lego Robotics enhanced AP computer science curriculum. I wish we engaged kids more, especially boys!

I totally agree.  It really was the kind of nitty gritty conceptual concept stuff I did in early college comp sci classes that you need to learn solidly at some point.  But I think it could have been wrapped up much prettier than it was.  There are many ways to teach about looping, arrays, conditionals, etc!

I always though comp sci was not where this kid would end up anyway, but he is math/stem strong and it is too bad this class turned him off.  Even without going in that direction in college, strong tech skills are always a plus. 

• Like 1

I totally agree.  It really was the kind of nitty gritty conceptual concept stuff I did in early college comp sci classes that you need to learn solidly at some point.  But I think it could have been wrapped up much prettier than it was.  There are many ways to teach about looping, arrays, conditionals, etc!

I always though comp sci was not where this kid would end up anyway, but he is math/stem strong and it is too bad this class turned him off.  Even without going in that direction in college, strong tech skills are always a plus

I don't know anything about the Edhesive class or what is expected in an AP-level computer science course, but I wanted to chime in here and mention a class that my DS is taking. FundaFunda Academy offers a one-semester Python programming class that teaches these concepts and DS says it is not dry at all. The instructor (a former programmer) uses videos and fun exercises to teach the concepts. It is challenging for DS but he says he is enjoying the format and learning a lot. (He previously did Scratch programming as well.)

This past week one of his assignments was to write a program for a hangman game. It turned out really cool!

https://www.fundafundaacademy.com/product/python-programming/

From the course description linked above:

The classes will include video instruction, exercises, quizzes and small programs to write. Students can work at any time, but they do need to meet deadlines. By the end of this course, students will be familiar with loops, conditionals, lists, tuples, dictionaries, manipulating strings, functions, classes and some beginning graphics.
Edited by TarynB
  • Like 3

Did they reply back? Curious since we wanted to do their course this year.

Edhesive did reply but did not answer my question directly, I think they misunderstood. I haven’t had time to follow up yet.

Edited by omd21
  • Like 1

DS used Edhesive in 2014-15 for AP Computer Science.  This was when the course was rather new.   I had similar questions about whether I needed to adopt their syllabus or submit one of my own.  It was pretty new ground for them.  I did list the course as AP Computer Science.   They sent me a copy of the AP Course Audit approval letter.  I did not submit a syllabus for approval on my own (and the deadline was January, so that isn't an option for you).

However, you can also list it as Computer Science with AP Exam as many folks do with courses that don't have official College Board blessings.  I would have no qualm about weighting the grade in either situation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My young man will be taking Edhesive's AP Computer Science A course starting this fall. Regardless of whether he takes the AP Exam or not, though he most likely will take it, what is the final consensus for listing it on a transcript—Honors or AP course?

What would be the advantage of having the course Syllabus approved by the college board? From what I've seen, the colleges wherein my young man will most likely attend require unweighted grades when submitting his transcript, so what would he benefit by having the course designated as AP vs Honors, especially if he passes the AP Exam with a good score?