Menu

Need fun things to do near Kansas City (for adults)

Pegasus

DH and I have volunteered to drive a family member to a week-long event near Kansas City this summer (Olathe).  We hope to spend the week doing fun vacation-type things, just the two of us.  The current plan is to stay in one location/hotel and venture out for day activities but if there is something super awesome that we could drive to and have to stay a night in another location before driving back to Kansas City, that would be ok too.

We know nothing about the area except that it will be HOT in June so plan mostly indoor activities.

Would love to hear some tips/suggestions from folks who know the area.

Thanks!

Peggy

There's an amusement park there - Worlds of Fun.  It's outdoors, lol, but is fun for adults.

You could drive across Missouri and visit the Arch.  If you drive north, Omaha has a lot going for it (a HUGE mostly indoor zoo, art museums).  There's a Pony Express museum north, too, around the MO-IA line, and I think if you drive south from KC, there's a Precious Moments chapel/park.

We lived 2 hours South of KC and we had a lovely trip to Omaha. I agree. There is a fair amount indoors at the Omaha Zoo, it isn’t a zoo where you are stuck outside in the heat the whole time at all. The Rainforest exhibit is indoors and the aquarium type exhibit is, too. There is a big basement of nocturnal animals that is indoors, also.

In Omaha we went to a military museum we liked, and an outlet mall.

I stayed with kids while others went to an Arboretum, I heard it was very nice as well.

The Omaha Zoo is a real draw for the whole area, though. It’s so good.

If you wanted to go to the Eishenhower Library I think it’s in Abilene. There is Seelye Mansion. You would drive through Manhattan and could go to the Flint Hills Discovery Center.

I wouldn’t consider this worth the drive, unless you have an interest in this kind of thing. Cattle drives from Texas used to end in Abilene and it used to be a Wild West kind of place. It could be interesting to someone who likes that kind of thing a lot.

I personally wouldn’t do it, though.

If you are going to drive three hours, I would chose Branson over Omaha.  June in KC should not be that hot.  

Catch a KC Royals baseball game

Check the schedule for KC Motor Speedway and see if they have anything going on.

Toy & Miniature Museum is really cool

Walk around on the Plaza

Crown Center

Hallmark Visitor Center

Check for concert at Starlight Theatre

Plan on finding an Arthur Bryant's for BBQ and Stroud's for fried chicken

• Like 1

John Wornall house

Mahaffie Farmstead

Union Station (connected to Crown Center by Skywalk)

Ride the streetcars

Eat at Minskys in the city market when you visit the Steamboat Arabia museum

If a Royals game seems overwhelming, considering a T BONES game.

Shopping and dining by t

he racetrack. There might even be a race if you are into NASCAR.

Shawnee Mission residential school historical sight.

We have riverboat gambling if you are into that.

Alexander Majors house.

Definitely Lawrence. See the Natural History museum and art museum on campus. Check days in advance because they are closed on some weekdays. All the food in Lawrence is good. I have a soft spot for Rudy's pizza and the Red Lyon Tavern. Potato oles from Taco Johns are pure joy.

• Like 1

Oh, one more thing about Omaha if you're interested in art - they have an original Degas dancer statue in the Joslyn art museum.  For the longest time it was not protected because they assumed it was a copy done out of a different medium.  :laugh:  But it is a fantastic little thing about 3ft tall. 

• Like 1

I agree about Lawrence.... it’s been years but Freestate and the Mad Greek are awesome. The Natural History Museum at KU I do also like, though for me it wouldn’t be worth the drive by itself. But if I were in Lawrence anyway it’s nice, and Mass Street in Lawrence is nice. It’s about 45 minutes from KC depending on exactly where you are in KC.

I didn’t realize Branson was so close. I agree Branson is a nice place to visit, it’s very beautiful around there and Silver Dollar City is neat. It’s generally quite a bit cooler there than in KC, but depending on where you are coming from it might still seem pretty hot to you. I think look at temperatures and see.

I live in Overland Park, which is right next to Olathe. I second The National World War 1 Museum; it’s amazing. We go at least once a year; my 19 yo son goes more often and chats with the staff, who are incredibly knowledgeable. There is a fee for this museum, but it’s so worth it.

The Nelson Atkins art museum is free, parking is not. There is a nice cafe inside.

There is a nice Botanical Gardens just south of me off Hwy 69...I’m not sure what it’s called..maybe the Overland Park Botanical Gardens?

Also, there is a nice feline conservatory called Cedar Cove in Louisburg..maybe 30 minutes from Olathe. We went several years ago, and it was small, but well run. They have a website with their hours. They had a wolf pack when we were there.

We are 10 minutes from a shopping center called Town Center, on 119th in Leawood KS, if you map it, and right behind it is Park Place. There are some restaurants as well, and in the spring and summer evenings my husband and I like to sit on “the green†eating gelato from Pacuigo and people watch. Just nice and relaxing.

And as mentioned, BBQ is a must, KC does burnt ends especially well. We love Q 39, Jack Stack, Joe’s, etc. Try them all!

The Nelson is very nice.  Food depends on what you like to eat; we don't eat dairy or eggs so our options are sort of limited, but we love Waldo's for vegan pizza and the Bluebird for a slightly fancier but not fancy dinner.

I would also drive out to Lawrence, and here's why: the Aladdin's Cafe there is perfect.  There's a sister one in KC but it is not as good as the one in Lawrence.  

A Royals game. Duh. And then a Cardinals game for contrast.

ETA: If you are into baseball, there is a Negro League museum there. Also, all of the stadiums offer stadium tours that MLB fans would enjoy. You can book them online. My husband and son travel to different MLB parks every summer, and KC was one of their favorites.

Edited by plansrme