Menu

Quick question about streaming network tv

mama25angels

All of the networks have websites where you can watch their shows. But they vary on when they are available and for how long.

We bought an antenna and our own DVR so we can get shows live or record them to watch later.

So, you can only watch it on their website with no cable? I'm just trying to make sure I understand what you're sayin.

With an antenna you can get network TV for free. Where you live will depend on how many channels you can get. We get NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS. Each of those has an additional 3-5 sub channels. Fox is available in our area but we can’t get it with our antenna. We have had a couple different antennas, the first one was kind of like rabbit ears the second is a flat black panel. They aren’t very expensive and can be found online, Walmart, and Best Buy.

We combine that with Sling’s sport package which comes to our tv through an internet connection.

We did a free trial of YouTube TV. With that you can also get your local network TV channels.

• Like 1

We have a smart TV and an external antenna, so with no Internet, we can watch all the network stations (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox). We also get three PBS stations, and networks like MeTV (all old shows, like Carol Burnett and Hawaii 5-O and Leave it to Beaver. We never watch the major networks, however; we have Netflix, so we wait until our favorite network shows are released to Netflix (either DVD or streaming) and watch them there, commercial free (which beats using a DVR, because with a DVR you have to forward through the commercials if you don't want to watch them. We haven't had Dish Network for about seven years, and we haven't missed it.

Let me tell you guys why I'm asking, my mil is here visiting and wants to watch law and order, well before she came I told her we no longer had cable. This morning she was asking about my provider password and user name, we don't have one because I don't pay my bill online, I just do it over the phone. She's of the mind that with the app and that info. She'd be able to watch her show, I told her that she'd need to have cable to stream the show, because that's the way it was before. I don't watch network shows so I wasn't sure I was still correct and thought I'd ask you guys. I will probably go and get an antenna to get her off my back.

Let me tell you guys why I'm asking, my mil is here visiting and wants to watch law and order, well before she came I told her we no longer had cable. This morning she was asking about my provider password and user name, we don't have one because I don't pay my bill online, I just do it over the phone. She's of the mind that with the app and that info. She'd be able to watch her show, I told her that she'd need to have cable to stream the show, because that's the way it was before. I don't watch network shows so I wasn't sure I was still correct and thought I'd ask you guys. I will probably go and get an antenna to get her off my back.

If she has cable, she could watch it on the app with her info.

If you just need Law &I Order (SVU, I presume), the simplest way to get it would be to buy the relevant episode from Amazon, then stream it through your roku or whatever. The episodes are available the morning after the live broadcast.

Schedule:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Law_%26_Order:_Special_Victims_Unit_episodes#Season_19_(2017–18)

You can buy just one episode, if you don't need entire season:

https://www.amazon.com/Gone-Baby/dp/B0758TYH7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519504999&sr=8-1&keywords=Svu+19

Edited by Alessandra

Our internet provider is also the local cable tv provider.  We can NOT watch shows through their app or website because we don't pay for tv service only for internet.  If we try to sign in to watch shows, they helpfully provide us with a link to upgrade our service to include television.

I think I may have misunderstood before, but in addition to the channel websites, yes you can watch a lot of shows if you have an antenna.  We get all the networks plus another 30 channels - all free once we purchased the antenna.

• Like 1

You don’t need cable to stream network TV shows. The major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) have most of their shows available for free streaming either the day after they air or a week after. I watch shows like that on either computer or my phone all the time. If she wants to watch them “live†she could probably just enter her cable info to watch if she doesn’t want to wait.

Edited by 2ndgenhomeschooler

You don’t need cable to stream network TV shows. The major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) have most of their shows available for free streaming either the day after they air or a week after. I watch shows like that on either computer or my phone all the time. If she wants to watch them “live†she could probably just enter her cable info to watch if she doesn’t want to wait.

Ok, I'll let her know this but she was wanting to watch it Wednesday, I guess the night it actually airs. She's been watching the previous season, I guess on our Netflix.

Edited by mama25angels

We have a smart TV and an external antenna, so with no Internet, we can watch all the network stations (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox). We also get three PBS stations, and networks like MeTV (all old shows, like Carol Burnett and Hawaii 5-O and Leave it to Beaver. We never watch the major networks, however; we have Netflix, so we wait until our favorite network shows are released to Netflix (either DVD or streaming) and watch them there, commercial free (which beats using a DVR, because with a DVR you have to forward through the commercials if you don't want to watch them. We haven't had Dish Network for about seven years, and we haven't missed it.

Yep, we watch all the network shows for free over the air. We have a big antenna in the attic. All the networks still broadcast for free over the air.

• Like 2