Menu

Do we need literature, too?

• 2 weeks later...

I second guess all the time myself! It’s a constant work in progress for us to find the balance and then the next year it changes anyway.

Dd has Schauer for Rhetoric and for the most part it’s been one paper a week, and it’s varied in difficulty. Some weeks she cranks them out with no issue and others are a lot more challenging and it takes her a while to work through it. But she’s really enjoyed the class.

She does the GB course but I will say I don’t make her do extra writing, as she has enough between her other classes I think she’d be overwhelmed. She is leaning towards taking a second Lit class next year now, but she is also now changed her mind on doing any AP classes next year instead which will free up her time significantly for more Lit. She said she might do a BraveWriter class or two instead of AP Art and then more Lit. We’ll see. I’ve decided we need to get through AP testing season before she’ll be in a great position to decide. :)

Is your daughter strong in English Writing? Is the fact that you are doing Literature for her more a function of her interest in more literature, or your sense that it is missing in the WTMA Rhetoric class? I really want to focus on writing skill this year, and want to find a program that is good for that, and doesn't frustrate him.

If my daughter is doing WTMA Rhetoric 1, do you think we need a separate lit program as well? We will be reading classics to along with world history, but I know they do lit analysis in the WTMA writing classes. Just not sure it will be enough I guess.

Imo, you do not need a separate literature program. The Rhetoric classes are similar in content to the topics on the AP English Language syllabus. The students read and analyze non-fiction, which definitely fulfills the requirements for one year of English credit. Edited by snowbeltmom
  • Like 3

Imo, you do not need a separate literature program. The Rhetoric classes are similar in content to the topics on the AP English Language syllabus. The students read and analyze non-fiction, which definitely fulfills the requirements for one year of English credit.

Ok. So is the alternative to just take AP English Language? curious if anyone has done that. 

Ok. So is the alternative to just take AP English Language? curious if anyone has done that.

I thought about having my youngest take AP English Language instead of Rhetoric II, just because of the AP designation. However,my kids really like the live class component of Rhetoric, so she is taking Rhetoric II this year instead of AP English Language. Fwiw, my son reported back to me during his first semester that his rhetoric classes prepared him exceptionally well for his college classes, and some of my son's writing was used as examples for others in the class.

This feedback reassured me that I had made the right decision for my daughter. ymmv

• Like 2

If my daughter is doing WTMA Rhetoric 1, do you think we need a separate lit program as well? We will be reading classics to along with world history, but I know they do lit analysis in the WTMA writing classes. Just not sure it will be enough I guess.

Can you comment on what your experience with Rhetoric 1 has been? I want to avoid busy work, and I don't want the classical emphasis of WTMA to take over the writing and logic component of what I am hoping I can get out of this class. what is the workload like? how many hours/week is your daughter spending outside of class on assignments?