Menu

Another volunteer update (Update in Post #17)

Night Elf

So tomorrow I'll be on my own. The lady I work with is taking a vacation day and wanted me to go in despite the fact that she won't be there to guide me. I've been volunteering since December and she feels I know enough that i can handle two hours by myself. She said even if I got only one thing done, that would be helpful.

The worst thing I'll have to do are sheets. She can hold them up and know what sizes they are. I, OTOH, need a tape measure. I've got a cheat sheet with all the sizes and prices but the prices are ranges so choosing a price is really up to me. Oh, and I have to determine if a fitted sheet is standard pocket or deep pocket. Those measurements are on the cheat sheet too. I don't always measure what numbers I see on the page. For example, once I measured the width of a fitted sheet and it was 4 inches off from a full. I couldn't call it a twin though because that is much smaller. So I labeled it full and hoped it was right. Our store doesn't take returns so it's a lot of pressure to get the sizes right! 

I'm just going to work slowly and be very careful. She usually comments on how quickly I work because I get things done faster than she thinks I might so I'm always waiting a few minutes for her to catch up. I just work normally. 

I'm a nervous wreck! There are two ladies there who can answer questions and help me if I need it so I won't be totally on my own but they're not truly familiar with our department so they may be guessing along with me! :)

Wish me luck!

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 7

Good luck! I am sure you will do a great job and be of help!

Don't get too caught up in the exact measurements of the sheets.  I think there is a wide variety of actual sizes depending on the manufacturer.  And, if items have been laundered differently, that can lead to slight differences in sizes.

• Like 1

Don't get too caught up in the exact measurements of the sheets.  I think there is a wide variety of actual sizes depending on the manufacturer.  And, if items have been laundered differently, that can lead to slight differences in sizes.

Gosh, I didn't think of that. We get some sheets are very used, some old because the elastic is crinkly and not stretchy. I didn't think about laundering altering sizes. That's good information. Thank you!

Not to mention -- most thrift stores I go to don't bother to label at all! So I have to guess at the size!

I wish you the best - You Can Do This!  I guess I missed you're volunteering at a thrift shop.  Last I heard you were at an animal shelter.  I hope this works out for you!

I was at the shelter but I got ringworm from the kitten room and couldn't go back until it cleared up. After two weeks of boredom, I decided to go in to their thrift store to volunteer. All proceeds go to the shelter. I found that I liked being there a lot more than cleaning up after the animals at the shelter. I feel more productive and like I am being way more helpful, so I stayed. I work 3 mornings a week, 2 hours each day. It's great!

• Like 10

Success! I did really well. The lady I work with left me a rubbermaid bin of all sorts of things to sort, fold, hang, and price. The funny thing is that when I got to the bottom, it was 3 sets of curtains I donated a few weeks ago. So at least I knew they were in great condition. :)

I even folded sheets. I found 4 twin sets and 1 full set. Then I ran out of time.

I had fun! I love this job!

• Like 22