Menu

Best menstrual cup for a teen?

Ravin

DD has asked for a cup. She did her own research and watched YouTube reviews and wants a Moon Cup. I suggested the Diva Cup, because it's silicone and once upon a time I found that the rubber caused irritation where the silicone didn't. But, my experience with these products does not extend to young teen use.

Does anyone here have a teen who uses a cup that works well for them?

Currently DD uses cloth pads, and I am 100% encouraging continued use of natural/sustainable products.

I really disliked the Diva cup. It was too big and not soft enough. I have a Lunette now, it would fit completely inside a diva cup. It's also made of silicone, and it is not so firm. There are a lot of brands out there now, and lots of reviews so I would look through a lot of them. Also be willing to try a different one if the first doesn't work out. There is a definite learning curve to them, but honestly tampons have a learning curve too.

I don't know how to put this delicately so I'm just going to say it.  The diameter of a cup is MUCH bigger than an ultra tampon.  I can't imagine being able to comfortably put a cup and make sure it's popped open in the right spot prior to having sex. Sometimes I really have to sort of dig to get the cup adjusted. So if a DD hasn't had sex yet I think I might discourage this.  There are softer cups, but the softer/smaller/more flexible, the more difficult to get to pop open IMHO.

I would recommend the Lena cup for any newbie.

A teen menstrual cup vlogger helped design it FWIW. I'm in my 40's, but it is the easiest cup to learn how to use a cup, IMHO, because it pops right open. There is a serious learning curve with getting a cup to open.

Once I got more comfortable I switched to a softer cup. I would not have been able to get the softer cup to work first. I also recommended it to a friend who learned on it and then switched later.

It's a good "starter" cup.

• Like 1

DD started wearing a cup at 14 or 15 without having had sex.  She just couldn't stand tampons and she didn't like pads either.  She used the smallest sized Diva cup and she still swears by a cup.  Now, younger dd could never do that.  She is 15 and says a tampon hurts.  I guess it depends on the girl?

Edited by Attolia

I don't know how to put this delicately so I'm just going to say it.  The diameter of a cup is MUCH bigger than an ultra tampon.  I can't imagine being able to comfortably put a cup and make sure it's popped open in the right spot prior to having sex. Sometimes I really have to sort of dig to get the cup adjusted. So if a DD hasn't had sex yet I think I might discourage this.  There are softer cups, but the softer/smaller/more flexible, the more difficult to get to pop open IMHO.

I know several women who have been able to use cups 100% successfully without having had sex. It's just a matter of relaxing enough and getting used to it. There is a learning curve to be sure, but it's not impossible by any means.