Menu

Depth and Passion?

I’ve been talking to dd (rising freshman) about high school plans. I think we’re good on academics, but really trying to think about ECs.

Dh took the oldest 2 kids to a college visit on Monday and said the AO said he wanted to see depth and passion. Not a list of activities, but deep involvement in something over 4 years.

So in order for that to happen, wouldn’t a student have to choose a passion and activity NOW?

Dd loves being active and is interested in a variety of things. Right now she plays competitive soccer, works as a soccer referee, helps coach her younger brother’s team (actually coming up with practice drills and ran practice when coaches were out of town), summer swim team, student council secretary for co-op, church youth group, and volunteers at seasonal HOA parties for the kids and twice a year with a local ministry.

She enjoys all of it and will probably do all of that next year. It honestly already seems like a lot to me for her age, and looks great to me, but I don’t know if it’s enough.

I know she has a lot of soccer stuff, but I’ve been told that’s not enough when it comes to depth/passion.

She is interested in science/medicine and applied to volunteer at a local hospital, but didn’t get in. A lot of the volunteer positions here (even at the local libraries) are very competitive. Students have to submit an application, resume, letters of rec, and interview. It boggles my mind that this is required for 8th graders! I even went to the volunteer site for the next city over and it said no opportunities available.

Dd did land an interview with the science museum, so we’ll see if that comes through. She e-mailed Special Olympics. She’ll apply to the library. There are other hospitals she’ll be old enough to apply to in the next couple of years, but the competition for those is stiff, and based on recent experience, it doesn’t seem she stacks up. (I’d love to know what the other resumes look like!)

I looked for science olympiad and didn’t find one.

Any other ideas for a kid interested in science and medicine?

How have you helped your kids in this area?

Also, on applications, I see that the kids needs academic honors and awards? How does one do this as a homeschooler?

To be clear, I’m not pressuring her at all, and I often have to slow her down. I just don’t want her to get to the end of high school with ECs that aren’t good enough. My oldest could have used more guidance, but I honestly didn’t know any better.

Edited by Jazzy

Depth and passion develop over time.  You don't have to have a plan in place now!  Your dd already has interests; just keep your eyes open for opportunities, even in unlikely places.  Has your dd spoken to her doctor about her interest in medicine?  Maybe he/she would have some suggestions.

• Like 2

You cannot "choose" a passion. You either have one or you don't.

We approached college admissions completely differently. I refuse to tailor my kids' activities just so they "look good" on the college application. High school years are valuable years. My kids did what they were interested in and wanted to do, and then we looked at how we can package the things they did.

For your student, not just playing soccer, but also refereeing and coaching, shows a commitment that goes beyond dabbling. It shows that she is committed and also doing a service to the community. That's fantastic.

My DD rode horses for four years and earned the designation of Highschool equestrian athlete (I forgot the exact title). In addition, she volunteered as a physics tutor at the local university.

My DS' passion was martial arts; he trained for four years in different martial arts and competed on a national level in judo.

Kids do not "need" honors and awards. If they have any, fine. Even as a homeschooler, you can be National Merit Scholar, or win the AP Scholar designation, or such things.

But all ofthis only matters if your kid applies to a highly selective college., Most colleges don't care about extracurriculars and take anybody who meets the entrance requirements and test scores.

• Like 14

She might be interested in volunteering at a nursing home. I’ll talk to her about it and also have her ask her doctor.

She’ll be doing science classes for kids if she gets a position at the museum. I really think she will love it!

It’s good to know I don’t have to have plan now. We’ll keep our eyes open. Thank you!

Oh, one thing she is really interested in right now is sports and concussions. She spends her free time reading about it and is working on a research paper for fun. How does someone take an interest like that and turn it into something more?

I not sure how to steer my kids when they have interests because I’m honestly not that curious, and I never have been. I am more of a doer.

Edited by Jazzy

Oh, one thing she is really interested in right now is sports and concussions. She spends her free time reading about it and is working on a research paper for fun. How does someone take an interest like that and turn it into something more?

I not sure how to steer my kids when they have interests because I’m honestly not that curious, and I never have been. I am more of a doer.

Let her be. IF she wants to do more research in that direction, you can make sure she has access to the internet, take her to the college library, chauffeur her to talk by a doctor about the topic.

You can give her the freedom to make this into an elective course.

But at that age, I don't "steer". I let my kids explore and run with it if they so choose, and assist when they ask me to.

ETA: And also, remember: not everything a teenager does needs to end up on the transcript or college application. Some things kids just do ... because they want to.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

I struggle with this, too.  I see dd invest so much time in things and she accomplishes a lot but I don't see how to apply it for anything for college applications.  

Anything your student does that is not part of her academic work can be an extracurricular. You just don't want to use every little disjointed thing on that list, because dabbling in two dozen things is not impressive - but if she has any sustained focus on something, that can be a valuable extracurricular. 

• Like 1

Anything your student does that is not part of her academic work can be an extracurricular. You just don't want to use every little disjointed thing on that list, because dabbling in two dozen things is not impressive - but if she has any sustained focus on something, that can be a valuable extracurricular. 

But what if it's a focus that is only done at home and not shared?  For example, the OP's dd and her interest in concussions.  

My dd has a lot of interests and passions but so many of them are not done outside the home.  She used to take aerial silk lessons but got frustrated with the lack of instruction at the studio so she bought her own aerial rig and progressed on her own watching videos.  She spends hours each day working on her skills, choreography, and creating performances to music but it is all done at home.  I thought about contacting local places to see if she could perform there - I'm thinking places like nursing homes and assisted living - but I suspect there could be insurance issues involved.  She also loves other circus activities like juggling and hand balance.  So she's spending hours and hours on something and I don't know how I can use it even though she has sustained focus.  

But what if it's a focus that is only done at home and not shared?  For example, the OP's dd and her interest in concussions.  

My dd has a lot of interests and passions but so many of them are not done outside the home.  She used to take aerial silk lessons but got frustrated with the lack of instruction at the studio so she bought her own aerial rig and progressed on her own watching videos.  She spends hours each day working on her skills, choreography, and creating performances to music but it is all done at home.  I thought about contacting local places to see if she could perform there - I'm thinking places like nursing homes and assisted living - but I suspect there could be insurance issues involved.  She also loves other circus activities like juggling and hand balance.  So she's spending hours and hours on something and I don't know how I can use it even though she has sustained focus.  

There is no rule that says "extracurricular"="outside the home".

Some kids spend their entire free time writing novels or poems. Or composing songs. Or baking. That's an extracurricular.

You don't need an audience for it to "count".

ETA: I think aerial silks will look absolutely fantastic, especially since it is so outside the box.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Something I have not looked into:  are there specific essay-type questions where an applicant has an opportunity to explain, say, how an EC had an impact on their personal development, besides just the main Common App essay?  Or is that simply demonstrated by what is presented in the list?  I've seen the Common App form briefly but don't remember this.  (ETA, the Common App essay is just one essay, correct?  And then the supplements are individual to each school?)  I recall a list with a limit of 10, but besides that, are there EC-related short-answer questions either in the Common App or in typical supplements?

Edited by wapiti

Something I have not looked into:  are there specific essay-type questions where an applicant has an opportunity to explain, say, how an EC had an impact on their personal development, besides just the main Common App essay?  Or is that simply demonstrated by what is presented in the list?  I've seen the Common App form briefly but don't remember this.  (ETA, the Common App essay is just one essay, correct?  And then the supplements are individual to each school?)  I recall a list with a limit of 10, but besides that, are there EC-related short-answer questions either in the Common App or in typical supplements?

The CA has space for the student to list and explain extracurriculars.

The extracurricular can also be a great subject for an essay. There is usually one "free" CA essay topic that can be used for whatever the applicant wants to write about, and many colleges that have writing supplements also have questions that could be used for this.

ETA: And especially an unusual activity like Kassia's DD's lends itself very well to that. Admissions officials' eyes glaze over when they read the hundredth essay on how being on the football team has taught me to be a team player - but they will take note of this unusual hobby.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Some applications allow you to include links to outside sources -- such as a video of your daughter performing. For my daughter, she included a link to her 300 page novel that she is interminably working on:-)  I don't know if they ever looked at it, but she also used one of her essays to talk about her growth as a writer.  All done on her own with no outside validation. I can only think it had more sway than the debate club that she went to for one semester or the band which she was involved in for four years but literally had nothing to say about. Band and debate weren't her passions, they were  just social activities.  It was probably pretty clear. 

• Like 2

ETA: And especially an unusual activity like Kassia's DD's lends itself very well to that. Admissions officials' eyes glaze over when they read the hundredth essay on how being on the football team has taught me to be a team player - but they will take note of this unusual hobby.

I always heard that admissions officials are looking for students who will contribute to the college community and don't want student who are going to stay in their room and isolate themselves.  In our case, dd does have another passion/interest where she invests her time and skills to help others so we do have that covered.  I didn't think that her circus interests would have a place in the admissions process unless she was sharing with others in some way.  I'll have to keep your replies in mind when it's time for her to apply!  Thank you.

I always heard that admissions officials are looking for students who will contribute to the college community and don't want student who are going to stay in their room and isolate themselves.  In our case, dd does have another passion/interest where she invests her time and skills to help others so we do have that covered.  I didn't think that her circus interests would have a place in the admissions process unless she was sharing with others in some way.  I'll have to keep your replies in mind when it's time for her to apply!  Thank you.

I would not take the "contribute to the college community" as literal as "performing in public" or "share a specific talent ". A student who has passion for something and pursues it like your DD automatically brings something valuable to the campus community: she brings the ability to focus, pursue an interest over a period of time, overcome obstacles, persevere, be excited, take initiative. I think it is mostly these traits colleges are looking for. I don't think they look specifically for "circus performer" and "martial artist", but for students whose character and personality were shaped by such a pursuit.

FWIW, my DD does not ride horses on the U Chicago campus, and my DS does not fight on a SLU martial arts team (these options do not exist.) The athletic pursuit did not turn into a direct asset they bring to their colleges as college athletes - but it helped make them the people they are.

I agree 100% with Regentrude. One of my dd's main ECs was translating a Russian fairy tale into English. It was done at home. It was a huge project that took hours of work. It wasn't for credit. It wasn't for an admissions committee. It was something she did bc she wanted to and loved it.

Essays are definitely a place to describe theses types of interests. Dd devoted a lot of time to writing about her love of languages and everything she did to master them.

Jazzy, your Dd could turn her interest into some sort of independent studies. My ds had independent courses on his transcript. He spoke to his physics professors for book recommendations and designed courses like a dark matter/black hole study. His transcript was full of astronomy type courses that he took on top of all of his regular high school sequence courses. Your family physician might be able to give some appropriate book suggestions.

Since she is involved in soccer, she could also investigate head trauma and soccer and discuss whether or not her local league is giving the issue appropriate consideration. (Are coaches being trained in the possibilities of brain trauma? Are parents being educated? Children told What are safe and unsafe practices? Etc.) She could turn her interest into advocating for appropriate sports practices in your community.

• Like 5

I would not take the "contribute to the college community" as literal as "performing in public" or "share a specific talent ". A student who has passion for something and pursues it like your DD automatically brings something valuable to the campus community: she brings the ability to focus, pursue an interest over a period of time, overcome obstacles, persevere, be excited, take initiative. I think it is mostly these traits colleges are looking for. I don't think they look specifically for "circus performer" and "martial artist", but for students whose character and personality were shaped by such a pursuit.

FWIW, my DD does not ride horses on the U Chicago campus, and my DS does not fight on a SLU martial arts team (these options do not exist.) The athletic pursuit did not turn into a direct asset they bring to their colleges as college athletes - but it helped make them the people they are.

Thank you so much!  This is extremely helpful and it makes me feel a lot better about things plus I will use this info when it's time for dd to apply to colleges.  I really had no idea. 

One of my dd's main ECs was translating a Russian fairy tale into English. It was done at home. It was a huge project that took hours of work. It wasn't for credit. It wasn't for an admissions committee. It was something she did bc she wanted to and loved it.

Essays are definitely a place to describe theses types of interests. Dd devoted a lot of time to writing about her love of languages and everything she did to master them.

My dd also loves languages and spends so much time on them.  I will keep all of this in mind when she is applying.  Thank you so much!  

OP - I hope I didn't derail your thread.  If I did, I apologize.  

I agree 100% with Regentrude. One of my dd's main ECs was translating a Russian fairy tale into English. It was done at home. It was a huge project that took hours of work. It wasn't for credit. It wasn't for an admissions committee. It was something she did bc she wanted to and loved it.

Jazzy, your Dd could turn her interest into some sort of independent studies. My ds had independent courses on his transcript. He spoke to his physics professors for book recommendations and designed courses like a dark matter/black hole study. His transcript was full of astronomy type courses that he took on top of all of his regular high school sequence courses. Your family physician might be able to give some appropriate book suggestions.

Since she is involved in soccer, she could also investigate head trauma and soccer and discuss whether or not her local league is giving the issue appropriate consideration. (Are coaches being trained in the possibilities of brain trauma? Are parents being educated? Children told What are safe and unsafe practices? Etc.) She could turn her interest into advocating for appropriate sports practices in your community.

I love this idea! I had just been thinking that instead of competing for a library spot, she could just email the local soccer association and see what she could do there. They also have monthly board meetings she could attend to see what goes on behind the scenes and learn how they function. I think she might really enjoy this!

Kassia, I am glad to know I’m not the only one trying to figure this out. You had good questions and the responses were really helpful. Your dd has a VERY interesting EC!

• Like 2

Lots of good thoughts in the discussion.

We used extracurriculars as part of the educational process. Young people know what interests them, but it's okay as educators to look for additional ways to incorporate learning into the process. 8Fill has some great examples/ideas. There is value in volunteering/contributing to community life, so helping them look for ways that they can contribute in high school sets them up for life knowing they can make a difference in ways that suit their personalities and interests. Some young people gravitate naturally to leadership roles, but some need some assistance in figuring out what sort of leadership suits them. Leaders aren't necessarily the people in the front of the crowd leading the meeting, and it's good to learn that early on.

Think of the high school activities as less about setting them up for college apps, and more about becoming educated adults.

• Like 1

Here's a random suggestion for your kid in case you don't find anything else:

I heard some colleges are looking for people with part time jobs to show grit, so I'll just say that my mom said that her work waiting tables was one of the best preparations for the field of medicine she had. "I already knew what it was like dealing with people and their holes." And frankly I'd say the same thing. My work serving food prepared me for everything else. NOTHING was worse than being treated like crap on my feet for 10 hours per day, with people whining about the dumbest stuff like the placement of fries too near ketchup, and the foam on their coffee being millimeters too thick.

So for a kid interested in medicine--that's one possibility. The bonus is that worst case scenario, you are financially richer coming out of it which I can't say for volunteering or joining a group.

• Like 2

Lots of good thoughts in the discussion.

We used extracurriculars as part of the educational process. Young people know what interests them, but it's okay as educators to look for additional ways to incorporate learning into the process. 8Fill has some great examples/ideas. There is value in volunteering/contributing to community life, so helping them look for ways that they can contribute in high school sets them up for life knowing they can make a difference in ways that suit their personalities and interests. Some young people gravitate naturally to leadership roles, but some need some assistance in figuring out what sort of leadership suits them. Leaders aren't necessarily the people in the front of the crowd leading the meeting, and it's good to learn that early on.

Think of the high school activities as less about setting them up for college apps, and more about becoming educated adults.

That’s a really good way to look at it!

Here's a random suggestion for your kid in case you don't find anything else:

I heard some colleges are looking for people with part time jobs to show grit, so I'll just say that my mom said that her work waiting tables was one of the best preparations for the field of medicine she had. "I already knew what it was like dealing with people and their holes." And frankly I'd say the same thing. My work serving food prepared me for everything else. NOTHING was worse than being treated like crap on my feet for 10 hours per day, with people whining about the dumbest stuff like the placement of fries too near ketchup, and the foam on their coffee being millimeters too thick.

So for a kid interested in medicine--that's one possibility. The bonus is that worst case scenario, you are financially richer coming out of it which I can't say for volunteering or joining a group.

Haha! Good point!

I think refereeing is giving her a little taste of this. The parents are AWFUL. She refs for 6-8 year olds, and you would think it was the World Cup. I don’t know if I could do it. She’s making $20 an hour, though!

• Like 1

Haha! Good point!

I think refereeing is giving her a little taste of this. The parents are AWFUL. She refs for 6-8 year olds, and you would think it was the World Cup. I don’t know if I could do it. She’s making $20 an hour, though!

It's appalling how awful some of the parents are!  I don't think I could deal with them either.  That's a great salary and experience for her!

I though GoodGrief's post was great, but I wanted to give my own take on this specific part of it:

Young people know what interests them, but it's okay as educators to look for additional ways to incorporate learning into the process.

I would say that some young people know more what doesn't interest them and sometimes need wide exposure to a variety of experiences to find what does interest them. Some things we should do as parents and educators is to try to provide opportunities for those exposures. (Many parents I know tell me their kid only likes tv or video games or something along those lines.)
  • Like 2

I though GoodGrief's post was great, but I wanted to give my own take on this specific part of it:

I would say that some young people know more what doesn't interest them and sometimes need wide exposure to a variety of experiences to find what does interest them. Some things we should do as parents and educators is to try to provide opportunities for those exposures. (Many parents I know tell me their kid only likes tv or video games or something along those lines.)

I agree! I think the main take away, though, is not to do encourage pursuits for ad coms, but bc there is a much better inherent reason.

• Like 3