Menu

5yo reading suggestions - ability vs maturity

Ingeborg

Hello all,

Can you please recommend read-alouds for a 5yo with the good reading skills yet the maturity more or less typical for his age?

This is what we've tried:

Mercy Watson series - can easily read it, gets it and enjoys it.  

Ricky Ricotta and the Mighty Robot series - the same.

Let's read and find out books, Levels 1 and 2 - the same.

Magic tree house - can easily read it (as in "read out the words"), but the concepts in many books are still a bit foreign to him, difficult to follow.

Any suggestions? He's especially fascinated with the idea of reading chapter books - this motivates him and makes him so proud. 

I suspect the discussions of this sort are fairly frequent on this forum, I just cannot easily locate them.

Thank you!

Edited by Ingeborg

Captain Underpants

Dog Man (but text is a little small)

Dino Riders, might be a little advanced reading level but the story is simple to understand

Frog and Toad

Mouse and Mole

And you could try leveled reader collections. While not really a chapter book he might get the same feeling with multiple stories in one volume. You can find them about most popular characters like superheroes, Paw Patrol, Berenstain Bears, etc.

• Like 2

Do you mean books for him to read aloud (or buddy read with you) or books for you to read aloud to him?

Sorry, just realized it is confusing :) the books for him to read independently. He still reads out loud, that’s why i wrote “read aloud†:)

Edited by Ingeborg
  • Like 1

I'd look at the Bunnicula books by the Howes. There's two series, one that is more advanced, one that is adapted to be much shorter and easier. They are fun reads, and if I remember correctly they are set up as chapter books but have lots of illustrations. Bonus: if he like them a lot, when he's a little more advanced it may be easy to hook him on the longer versions.

• Like 2

I asked my 5yo what she would recommend, and she said:

Humphreys series (about a classroom hamster)

Magic School Bus books

Kingdom of Wrenly

Mr. Popper’s Penguins

Henry & Ribsy

Sir Cumference

These are all very popular in my house especially the kingdom of wrenly. Also, we just spent a lot of time in the nonfiction section. It was safe but offered a lot of Variety. Books about everything from transportation to ballet, Legos to zoology.

What my five-year-old is currently into:

Horrid Henry

Jack Stalwart

Captain Underpants

Books that my older one also enjoyed at age 5/6:

Zac Powers

Magic Treehouse (also the Fact ones)

My five-year-old is as happy reading a chapter as he is a comic book or a picture book, so we try to encourage it all. Chapter books often have limited and uncreative vocabulary with simple sentence constructions. Complex picture books, like the Lorax or other books meant to be read to children, are great for early readers to read to themselves. The vocabulary is often much better, the sentences more complex, and the pictures help a young child maintain attention and stay with the story. So don't give up on picture books too early. 

• Like 3