Menu

Are energy drinks OK for your teens?

cave canem

For me, it's not generically a soda vs energy drink thing.

It's specific product vs specific product thing.

A 12oz can of coke contains 34mg of caffeine.  A 16oz can of Rockstar has 160mg.  It's like 4 or 5 times as much caffeine per product.  If a teen drinks 3 cans of Coke, he still hasn't had as much caffeine as if he had drank a single can of Rockstar.  And if kid A is drinking 3 cans of Coke, and kid B is drinking 3 cans of Rockstar....kid A has consumed about 100mg of caffiene, kid B has already had 480mg.  That's where the issue is for me. 

It varies by particular brand and formulation, but many of the energy drinks (not energy shots) have about 3.5 times as much caffeine per ounce as colas do.   That puts them within the range of most coffees.  If someone is particular concerned about caffeine intake, coffee becomes problematic because the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee varies widely depending on the roast of the beans and the method of making the coffee--so ounce per ounce one cup of coffee may have much more caffeine than another cup.  Starbucks coffee tends to be higher in caffeine content than some other brands.

• Like 3

It also can be a concern about serving size. Monster, per 8 oz, has less caffeine than coffee, BUT it comes in a 24 oz can. Most coffee cups are significantly smaller.

So, again, is the kid drinking one can a day? Probably fine. Many cans a day? Problem. 

Monster does come in larger cans--but the most common size is 16 0z.  That is the same size as a Starbucks grande.  

• Like 4

Monster does come in larger cans--but the most common size is 16 0z.  That is the same size as a Starbucks grande.  

Thank you! I knew that sounded big. Dumb internet! 

I remember researching all this when DH decided he liked Monster. He would drink 1 monster instead of many cups of coffee, so for him it was less overall caffeine. 

I don’t buy them but they could buy them if they want. I only have one teen and she doesn’t drink much caffeine, coffee makes her feel jittery. DS (12) drinks coffee.

For myself, I don’t drink energy drinks because (1) I’m cheap and (2) I don’t want the sugar and I don’t like the artificial sweeteners they use in the sugar free varieties.

If I know I’m going to have a long afternoon/evening I will have an early afternoon cup of coffee and a squirt of b-complex. Works great for me. ðŸ‘

I thought this was an interesting article:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-heart-energy-drinks/potentially-harmful-effects-of-energy-drinks-its-not-the-caffeine-idUSKBN17S2SM

"Larger studies are needed to evaluate the safety of the noncaffeine ingredients contained in energy drinks, they conclude.

â€The energy drink industry claims that their products are safe because they have no more caffeine than a premium coffee house coffee,†said Dr. Jennifer L. Harris from University of Connecticut’s Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity in Storrs, who wasn’t involved in the study.

“However, energy drinks also contain a proprietary ‘energy blend,’ which typically consists of stimulants and other additives. Some of these ingredients (including taurine and guarana) have not been FDA-approved as safe in the food supply, and few studies have tested the effects of caffeine consumption together with these ‘novelty’ ingredients,†she said by email."

While toxicological studies of substances like taurine and guarana don't necessarily show adverse effects, the effects of ingesting a mixture of substances (along with the caffeine and whatever else is in those proprietary blends) may cause health effects that haven't been shown in a lab setting.

From Wikipedia (Chemistry of energy drinks):

"Energy drinks generally contain methylxanthines (including caffeine), B vitamins, carbonated water, and high-fructose corn syrup (for non-diet versions). Other commonly used ingredients are guarana, yerba mate, açaí, and taurine, plus various forms of ginseng, maltodextrin, inositol, carnitine, creatine, glucuronolactone, sucralose and ginkgo biloba.[11]

Some energy drink manufacturers do not report how much caffeine their products contain.[35] One survey found that various energy drinks had 6–242 milligrams (mg) of caffeine per serving.[35] In comparison, an 8 US fluid ounces (240 ml) cup of coffee contains 100 mg of caffeine and 12 US fluid ounces (350 ml) of Coca-Cola Classic contains 35 mg of caffeine.[35][36]Consumer Reports expected that the caffeine content of a beverage should be within 20% of what the label claims, but product testing on United States energy drinks found that the caffeine levels of some energy drinks vary beyond that range.[35] The Monster Beverage Corporation explained they do not report caffeine levels because "there is no legal or commercial business requirement to do so, and also because our products are completely safe, and the actual numbers are not meaningful to most consumers."[35] Scientific groups and consumer organizations have requested more disclosure in ingredient lists.[35]"

Caffeine amounts of various drinks have been listed by other posters but I'd be interested in the effective caffeine amounts of various drinks.  Many of those "natural" ingredients that energy drink manufacturers add have caffeine contents of their own which I don't believe are added in to the total.  Guarana seeds, for instance, contain about twice the caffeine of coffee seeds.  Yerba mate also contains caffeine.

Mind you - I don't drink coffee, soft drinks, or energy drinks.  My caffeine source of choice is tea. :)

Edited to add:

This is the original journal article regarding the study mentioned above: http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/6/5/e004448

Only 18 participants but I thought the P values were good.

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 3

They are bad for everyone. Unfortunately, many truck drivers rely on them (hubby did for a bit, till I drilled it into him the damage it can do). My teens occasionally would sneak buying them (in a state where it was ILLEGAL to sell them to anyone under eighteen). They finally came around to understanding that they really, really should NOT be drinking them. I worked with a woman that drank 1-2 of them daily. 3yrs later, her liver is that of an alcoholic and she's not one. That is damage done by the energy drinks. No...those things should be banned.

They are bad for everyone. Unfortunately, many truck drivers rely on them (hubby did for a bit, till I drilled it into him the damage it can do). My teens occasionally would sneak buying them (in a state where it was ILLEGAL to sell them to anyone under eighteen). They finally came around to understanding that they really, really should NOT be drinking them. I worked with a woman that drank 1-2 of them daily. 3yrs later, her liver is that of an alcoholic and she's not one. That is damage done by the energy drinks. No...those things should be banned.

The only place I can find that there are restrictions on selling energy drinks to minors is in Lithuania.  I have seen news stories of discussions about banning the drinks in other places, but I cannot find any documentation that this has occurred anywhere else.  Are there other places where they cannot be sold to people under 18?

Outing myself and my family here......

I drink them. DD16 often will finish my can because half a can is plenty for me. I used to have a 3-cup-a-day coffee habit as well, but since having my gallbladder out, coffee isn’t sitting well.

Two of my kids drink coffee - many cups per day. DH is also has a 3-4 cup a day coffee habit.

Do I think energy drinks are “good†for you? Of course not. But I consider them no worse than coffee and they serve the same purpose. Do I let my teens drink them? Yup - just as I do coffee or tea.

We choose our vices carefully here.

The only place I can find that there are restrictions on selling energy drinks to minors is in Lithuania.  I have seen news stories of discussions about banning the drinks in other places, but I cannot find any documentation that this has occurred anywhere else.  Are there other places where they cannot be sold to people under 18?

In South Carolina it was illegal to sell to kids under eighteen. I used to work sales and SLED is very aggressive about stuff. 

In South Carolina it was illegal to sell to kids under eighteen. I used to work sales and SLED is very aggressive about stuff. 

I can find news stories where a 16-year old South Carolina teen died last year after drinking a coffee, Mountain Dew, and energy drink, and I can find where there is a bill currently in the South Carolina house to make it illegal to sell energy drinks to those under 18 (https://www.scstatehouse.gov/billsearch.php?billnumbers=4597&session=122&summary=B).  That would seem to imply that it is currentlly legal to sell energy drinks to those under 18 in South Carolina.  

• Like 1

I can find news stories where a 16-year old South Carolina teen died last year after drinking a coffee, Mountain Dew, and energy drink, and I can find where there is a bill currently in the South Carolina house to make it illegal to sell energy drinks to those under 18 (https://www.scstatehouse.gov/billsearch.php?billnumbers=4597&session=122&summary=B).  That would seem to imply that it is currentlly legal to sell energy drinks to those under 18 in South Carolina.  

I never looked up the law. I was simply told by multiple people, including bosses and family members that it was illegal. I don't know if it was an area thing (?). I had only moved back to the state four years ago and then came back to PA in October. I was told this when I first moved down there and again when I got a job a year later. 

I never looked up the law. I was simply told by multiple people, including bosses and family members that it was illegal. I don't know if it was an area thing (?). I had only moved back to the state four years ago and then came back to PA in October. I was told this when I first moved down there and again when I got a job a year later. 

Could ahve been a local ordinance. 

• Like 1

But what is it that is destroying her liver?  Is it the sugar?  Many people let their kids drink 2-3 glasses of OJ a day, or 3 juice boxes, or a couple of cans of coke.  

Is it the caffeine?  3 cups of coffee is at least that much caffeine if not more.  Lots of people drink a lot of coffee.

I wish I knew specifically. I only know that that is what changed in her habits (drinking those everyday) and that that was what the outcome was according to her doctor. I don't know the specifics of how.

But what is it that is destroying her liver? Is it the sugar? Many people let their kids drink 2-3 glasses of OJ a day, or 3 juice boxes, or a couple of cans of coke.

Is it the caffeine? 3 cups of coffee is at least that much caffeine if not more. Lots of people drink a lot of coffee.

A quick Google suggests niacin, but it also looks like those with issues drank a crazy amount.

I have an uncommon liver disease (autoimmune hepatitis) that was difficult to diagnose (didn't present traditionally). I hope her doctor did some digging before blaming the drinks, though it does sound like it might be possible that it was the drinks.

Not for my teens. It's the epitome of fake food. If they are low on energy, I want them to address nutrition and sleep, not just pound a can of junk. Energy drinks make me think of Brawndo.

We just got back from London. There are several grocery chains that are voluntarily starting to ban the sale of energy drinks to people under 16. Good for them!

• Like 1

The only place I can find that there are restrictions on selling energy drinks to minors is in Lithuania. I have seen news stories of discussions about banning the drinks in other places, but I cannot find any documentation that this has occurred anywhere else. Are there other places where they cannot be sold to people under 18?

Lots of places in England are starting to ban the sale of energy drinks to people under 16. Sainsbury's ban begins March 1. https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/money/5385489/sainsburys-becomes-latest-supermarket-giant-to-ban-sale-of-energy-drinks-to-under-16s/amp/

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

WHY would a teen need an energy drink?  They'll never have more energy in their life.  In some countries, teens are too young to buy them! At that age, coffee is as strong as I would go.

Well, I took amphetamines and balanced them with alcohol and opiates starting from age 13 so... energy drinks don't sound crazy to me. 

I don't let my kids do those either. Because I want them to have a better life than I did. 

• Like 1

I think it's hooey.  I tried a SF Red Bull once.  I had no more energy and it tasted gross. 

Once tried one of those Five Hour Energy shots they sell (got a free sample in the mail).  I drank it before bed and fell asleep no problem.  LOL

Except for the caffeine, I don't think any of the other ingredients qualify as a stimulant (not counting sugar because I'd never drink the ones with sugar anyway). 

5 hr energy is a vitamin b supplement. It won't keep you awake, but it will help if you are low on b vits. 

Lots of places in England are starting to ban the sale of energy drinks to people under 16. Sainsbury's ban begins March 1. https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/money/5385489/sainsburys-becomes-latest-supermarket-giant-to-ban-sale-of-energy-drinks-to-under-16s/amp/

This appears to be a retailer choosing not to sell the products to people under 16.  I think that is different than it being illegal​ to sell the drinks to those under a particular age.  

While Red Bull popularized energy drinks in Europe and America, the Austrian who created Red Bull based his drink upon popular Asian tonic drinks.  When I visited Korea, I was surprised to see how these drinks, along with energy shots, were not only marketed to children, but were also encouraged, at times, by parents.  There was one popular energy shot with some type of "Make an A" name.  The advertisements were aimed at parents to give to their high school students so that they would be able to stay awake during extremely long school days and study sessions.  

This appears to be a retailer choosing not to sell the products to people under 16. I think that is different than it being illegal​ to sell the drinks to those under a particular age.

While Red Bull popularized energy drinks in Europe and America, the Austrian who created Red Bull based his drink upon popular Asian tonic drinks. When I visited Korea, I was surprised to see how these drinks, along with energy shots, were not only marketed to children, but were also encouraged, at times, by parents. There was one popular energy shot with some type of "Make an A" name. The advertisements were aimed at parents to give to their high school students so that they would be able to stay awake during extremely long school days and study sessions.

The Asian practice of subjecting students to extreme mental and physical stress (from lack of sleep) is hardly a ringing endorsement for the “healthiness†of these drinks.

• Like 1

Generally no.  Not as a "fun" drink.  Too many problems with them draining magnesium & causing all kinds of nerve & cardiac issues.

Now, if a kid developed debilitating headaches I might make an exception because they are arguably safer than many prescription migraine meds, but that would be for medicinal purposes, not to enable the kid to go without enough sleep.