Menu

How do we get all of theings we want to cover crammed into 4 years of high school? Looking for advise from seasoned moms...

Good evening all.

I would love some input from seasoned moms...

Ds plans to go into chemical engineering so we do need strong maths and sciences.. but he also wants to study other things of interest that may end up on the transcript as well. My questions is how do we get all of it done before high school is over- I just don't see it. Meaning us fitting it all in four years that we have.

This year 9th grade ds finishing up

Geometry

English

Japanese

Bible NT

Honors Biology

American History

The other 3 years ds needs to have these done as required per state and some are wants to do- question it how

These are required:

Physics and Chemistry (both honors)

Algebra 2, Pre- Calc

1 year Japanese

PE and Health

Fine Arts

World History, Government and Economics

3 years of English

These are additional that ds wants to do as well

Intro to Organic Chemistry, possibly AP Chemistry, Natural Disasters (either 1 or 2 semester course depending on how involved it becomes), Astronomy, Exoplanets- probably a semester course.

2-3 years of Logic - he enjoys it

Japanese every year

2 years  of pre-engineering classes (CAD, Solid Works, etc.)

Is there a way to slice and dice it all and still it be workable?

Thank you so very much.

No idea how to sort it all out, but we ended up folding some logic courses into an English credit. I think we did .5 credit literature and .5 credit argumentation for one year. One year we did .5 credit of epistemology (theory of knowledge) probably as part of English. PE and Health could be done over the summer or combined into .5 credit. Fine art was also .5 credit. 

IMHO, you have too much STEM -- I would limit your plans to at most two science/engineering credits per year. You just have to prioritize. The rest he can learn a little about in his spare time, perhaps, or in summer if you don't otherwise school year-round.

• Like 2

2 years of pre-engineering classes (CAD, Solid Works, etc.).

I would look at doing that as summer intensive courses at the community college. Link is to what my local community colleges offer for CAD, Solidworks, etc

https://www.deanza.edu/dmt/

https://foothill.edu/sli/pdfs/RapidPrototypeProgramFH.pdf

Another way to learn CAD is to be a student volunteer at a local makerspace if there is one near to you.

We intend to use community college summer term for fine arts credits as my kids actually prefer to school through summer and then take a weeklong break in Fall for a short vacation.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:46 PM, housemouse said:

Ds plans to go into chemical engineering so we do need strong maths and sciences...
...how do we get all of it done... fitting it all in four years that we have...

This year 9th grade ds finishing up
Geometry
English
Japanese
Bible NT
Honors Biology
American History

The other 3 years...

These are required:
Physics and Chemistry (both honors)
Algebra 2, Pre- Calc
1 year Japanese
PE and Health
Fine Arts
World History, Government and Economics
3 years of English

These are additional that ds wants to do as well
Intro to Organic Chemistry, possibly AP Chemistry, Natural Disasters (either 1 or 2 semester course depending on how involved it becomes), Astronomy, Exoplanets- probably a semester course.
2-3 years of Logic - he enjoys it
Japanese every year
2 years  of pre-engineering classes (CAD, Solid Works, etc.)

Is there a way to slice and dice it all and still it be workable?

Ideas:

1. Econ and Gov't are usually just 0.5 credit courses, not 1.0 credit courses.

2. Do the Intro to Organic Chemistry OR the AP Chemistry as the required Chemistry, rather than Honors Chemistry

3. Logic is usually just 0.5-1.0 credit course and materials -- spread the material out over three years as a once a week "Friday fun" subject

4. PE can be accumulated over weekends and the summer as natural physical activities, sports, dance, martial arts, what-have-you

5. Let the Natural Disasters, Astronomy, Exoplanets, etc. be fun self-exploration topics over the summers; accrue hours and at the end of several summers, award partial credit/full credit (whatever was earned).

6. For Fine Arts, if DS isn't into Art, Music, or Drama, consider doing something closer to his interest -- perhaps a Computer Digital Arts course (Photoshop, Illustrator, or animation software); or Photography or Filmmaking. Or, a Film Appreciation course. Or, a "Survey of Fine Arts", with four 9-week units of different topics.

7. Dual enrollment in 11th or 12th grade of Science and Math courses, as 1 semester college course = 1 YEAR high school credit. So in 12th grade, one semester could be Calculus, and the other semester Physics, or other Science or Engineering course, which yields 2 credits for the year, but only takes up 1 "time slot" in your schedule.

8. I didn't see Bible Studies as part of the required or desired credits past 9th grade, so consider making that informal family devotional time, or a short personal time rather than a formal longer credit.

I am assuming your required credits only require 0.5 credit each of PE and Health?? If that is the case, here's a possible scheduling breakdown:

9th grade
1.0 credit = English I
1.0 credit = Math: Geometry
1.0 credit = Science: Honors Biology
1.0 credit = Soc. Studies: American History
1.0 credit = For. Lang: Japanese I
1.0 credit = Religious Studies: Bible, NT
0.25 credit = Elective: PE -- track 30-45 hours from whatever normal physical activities he's done this year
6.25 credits = total

summer
[or, if not done much physical activity in 9th grade, track 30-45 hours over summer = 0.25 credit = PE]
- 0.25-0.5 credit (OR, just enjoy as a leisurely personal pursuit) = Natural Disasters or Astronomy, etc.
0.25-0.75 credit possible

10th grade
1.0 credit = English 2
1.0 credit = Math: Algebra 2
1.0 credit = Science: Honors Chemistry
1.0 credit = Soc. Studies: World History
1.0 credit = For. Lang: Japanese 2
1.0 credit = Elective: Engineering: CAD
0.25 credit = Logic
0.25 credit = Elective: PE -- track 30-45 hours from whatever physical activities he normally does
6.50 credits = total

summer
- 0.25 credit = PE (as you do & track physical activities)
- 0.25-0.5 credit (OR, just enjoy as a leisurely personal pursuit) = Natural Disasters or Astronomy, etc.

11th grade
1.0 credit = English 3
1.0 credit = Math: Pre-Calculus
1.0 credit = Science: AP Chemistry or Intro to Organic Chemistry
0.5 credit = Soc. Studies: Government
1.0 credit = For. Lang: Japanese 3
1.0 credit = Elective: Engineering: Solid Works
0.25 credit = Elective: Health
0.25 credit = Logic
6.0 credits = total

summer
- 0.25 credit = PE (as you do & track physical activities) -- OR -- 0.25 credit in Logic

12th grade
1.0 credit = English 4
1.0 credit = Math: Calculus, or, Statistics
1.0 credit = Science: Physics
0.5 credit = Soc. Studies: Economics
1.0 credit = For. Lang: Japanese 4
1.0 credit = Fine Arts
0.25 credit = Health
0.25 credit = Logic
6.0 credits = total

TOTALS:
4.0 credits = English
4.0 credits = Math
4.0-5.0 credits = Science (includes summer self-study of Science)
3.0-4.0 credits = Soc. Studies (includes accrued credit of Logic)
4.0 credits = For. Lang: Japanese 4
2.0 credits = Electives: Engineering
2.0 credits = Electives (1.0 = Bible, 0.5 each = PE and Health)
1.0 credit = Fine Arts
24-26 credits = total

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

If you or your state doesn't require and/or want four years of the same language (for ex: our state requires only 2 years of the same language), then that frees up 4 semesters, 2 semesters and 1 year, or 2 years to pursue other interests and still get the same credit hours.

Edited by historymatters

If you or your state doesn't require and/or want four years of the same language (for ex: our state requires only 2 years of the same language), then that frees up 4 semesters, 2 semesters and 1 year, or 2 years to pursue other interests and still get the same credit hours.

That depends how competitive admission are for the schools you are looking at. Maybe also on how the overall rigor of the transcript is perceived when the student replaces the FL credits with other courses.

The two years to check a box will be fine for nonselective admissions, but some other schools expect to see at least three. That was even true back when I went to high school, when students rarely started FL in middle school and went on through 5 years of FL, the way some do now.

Also, I think Lori did a good job laying out one way to do it, and in only six credits per year. Many kids in school take 7 or even 8 credits per year. So for something he enjoys like Astronomy or the Natural Disasters course (maybe 0.5 credit each) you should be able to easily get those in also. If those would be community college classes, then maybe you have some more juggling to do. It’s possible to do an elective or two over the summers, especially after ninth grade. That is how we got things like health and arts appreciation out of the way to focus on heavier academics during the year. You could also do a logic credit over the summers. I don’t know about three full credits of logic; I think the common providers have only two credits at most of material. I think Memoria Press has summer logic courses using their materials if you need the structure (though I found their logic 1 and 2 very easy to accomplish on our own, just super dry! Lol).

That depends how competitive admission are for the schools you are looking at. Maybe also on how the overall rigor of the transcript is perceived when the student replaces the FL credits with other courses.

The two years to check a box will be fine for nonselective admissions, but some other schools expect to see at least three. That was even true back when I went to high school, when students rarely started FL in middle school and went on through 5 years of FL, the way some do now.

That is a very good point. Most schools require 3 years of the same language that have engineering programs we are looking at. But, then when speaking to admissions they will say that they would prefer to see CAD/Solidworks on the transcript rather then 3rd year of foreign language or credit of fine arts. It all depends on the school.

Ideas:

1. Econ and Gov't are usually just 0.5 credit courses, not 1.0 credit courses.

2. Do the Intro to Organic Chemistry or the AP Chemistry as the required Chemistry, rather than Honors Chemistry

3. Logic is usually just 0.5-1.0 credit course and materials -- spread the material out over three years as a once a week "Friday fun" subject

4. PE can be accumulated over weekends and the summer as natural physical activities, sports, dance, martial arts, what-have-you

5. Let the Natural Disasters, Astronomy, Exoplanets, etc. be fun self-exploration topics over the summers; accrue hours and at the end of several summers, award partial credit/full credit (whatever was earned).

6. For Fine Arts, if DS isn't into Art, Music, or Drama, consider doing something closer to his interest -- perhaps a Computer Digital Arts course (Photoshop, Illustrator, or animation software); or Photography or Filmmaking. Or, a Film Appreciation course. Or, a "Survey of Fine Arts", with four 9-week units of different topics.

7. Dual enrollment in 11th or 12th grade of Science and Math courses, as 1 semester college course = 1 YEAR high school credit. So in 12th grade, one semester could be Calculus, and the other semester Physics, or other Science or Engineering course, which yields 2 credits for the year, but only takes up 1 "time slot" in your schedule.

I am assuming your required credits only require 0.5 credit each of PE and Health?? If that is the case, here's a possible scheduling breakdown:

9th grade

1.0 credit = English I

1.0 credit = Math: Geometry

1.0 credit = Science: Honors Biology

1.0 credit = Soc. Studies: American History

1.0 credit = For. Lang: Japanese I

1.0 credit = Religious Studies: Bible, NT

0.25 credit = Elective: PE -- track 30-45 hours from whatever normal physical activities he's done this year

6.25 credits = total

summer

[or, if not done much physical activity in 9th grade, track 30-45 hours over summer = 0.25 credit = PE]

10th grade

1.0 credit = English 2

1.0 credit = Math: Algebra 2

1.0 credit = Science: Honors Chemistry

1.0 credit = Soc. Studies: World History

1.0 credit = For. Lang: Japanese 2

1.0 credit = Elective: Engineering: CAD

0.25 credit = Logic

0.25 credit = Elective: PE -- track 30-45 hours from whatever physical activities he normally does

6.50 credits = total

summer

- 0.25 credit = PE (as you do & track physical activities)

11th grade

1.0 credit = English 3

1.0 credit = Math: Pre-Calculus

1.0 credit = Science: AP Chemistry or Intro to Organic Chemistry

0.5 credit = Soc. Studies: Government

1.0 credit = For. Lang: Japanese 3

1.0 credit = Elective: Engineering: Solid Works

0.25 credit = Elective: Health

0.25 credit = Logic

6.0 credits = total

summer

- 0.25 credit = PE (as you do & track physical activities) -- OR -- 0.25 credit in Logic

12th grade

1.0 credit = English 4

1.0 credit = Math: Calculus, or, Statistics

1.0 credit = Science: Physics

0.5 credit = Soc. Studies: Economics

1.0 credit = For. Lang: Japanese 4

1.0 credit = Fine Arts

0.25 credit = Health

0.25 credit = Logic

6.0 credits = total

TOTALS:

4.0 credits = English

4.0 credits = Math

4.0-5.0 credits = Science (includes summer self-study of Science)

3.0-4.0 credits = Soc. Studies (includes accrued credit of Logic)

4.0 credits = For. Lang: Japanese 4

3.0 credits = Electives: Engineering

2.0 credits = Electives (1.0 = Bible, 0.5 each = PE and Health)

1.0 credit = Fine Arts

24-26 credits = total

Thank you!! It does not look so impossible this way.

That is a very good point. Most schools require 3 years of the same language that have engineering programs we are looking at. But, then when speaking to admissions they will say that they would prefer to see CAD/Solidworks on the transcript rather then 3rd year of foreign language or credit of fine arts. It all depends on the school.

I would suspect that more universities want to see their admissions core met, which usually include a fine art and 3-4 yrs of the same language, than CAD/solidworks, which would be classified as electives. They may like seeing those, but it isn't the same as the required core.

Typically, core requirements are less flexible. Some universities will admit students with less than 3 yrs of the same language, but admit with the requirement that the foreign language core has to be as an UG.

I guess it probably depends also on what is offered at your school, or what opportunities are available when you are homeschooling. Most public schools aren’t going to have this type of tech course and many do not have specific engineering courses, either. Some kids that don’t will spend their free time learning some or they will do summer programs, etc.