Menu

After a few days of flu?

MamaBearTeacher

I think I have the flu. My main symptoms are a mild dry cough, fever, fatigue, sick voice and aches and pains. It started Wednesday afternoon and has continued. The whole family is sick but the rest of them have worse coughs and not much fever.

Anyways, right now it is the sleepiness and fatigue that are getting to me. I have been lying down almost this entire time and sleeping on and off during the day, feeling dazed. I keep telling myself that I will get up and be productive but then I just lay there. Today I forced myself to go for a walk thinking it might give me energy but it didn't. The house is a pigsty and I'm too lazy to clean up.

At what point in an illness should a person tell themselves that enough is enough?

"At what point in an illness should a person tell themselves that enough is enough?"

When you feel better. Let the house fall down around you and let your body get the rest it needs to heal. And I had the flu over Christmas and it was well over a week before I was feeling good enough to be productive.

• Like 9

The strain of flu we had was nasty, there was no way to "just get over it".  For each of us that got it, it was about 72 hours of the only time/reason to be upright is to go to the bathroom and then it's back to being horizontal. After that is was another 3-4 days of lethargy, and resting and slow going.  So if you think you have the flu,  just lay back down and rest.  There really is no point to forcing yourself to get up.  It will only prolong the agony because your body needs to rest and heal.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

Rest and take it easy.  That's what I am doing.  Same thing here. Mild, but just enough lack of energy to make us want to laze about.  James and I have it and my hubby keeps saying let's do and we keep saying let's not.  Hope you feel better soon! 

I was in bed for 8 solid days with the flu and had another 8 days of fatigue that followed. I had never had the flu and I was shocked by how long the recovery took because I am pretty physically fit. I had another friend who had it at the same time as me and she said her case was really mild and it wasn't any worse than having strep throat.  I would listen to your own body because healthy people are developing pneumonia and even dying this year.