Menu

Have your kids made their decision yet?

Hilltopmom

Just curious who has already decided and paid their deposit.

Mine is waffling between two State Us (but was accepted everywhere he applied- merit aid gpa requirements and bottom line cost oop helped narrow it down to these last two choices).

I’m like “make a decision already, will you!?!?!!â€

Going to attend Accepted Students day next month still so I think he’s dragging it out until after that.

I hate the unknown!

Plus I have strong feelings that one is “much†better than the other “for him†and I’m trying not to exert my opinion too much because he’s a kid likely to choose the other just because I suggested one so strongly. Sigh

Good luck to your dc making decisions soon!

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 6

No, we are waiting on 2 more schools.

It may be a tough decision. He is into a school he loves, we can afford and which has a great honors program. I think it would be awesome for him.

However, the 2 schools he is waiting on are more rigorous all around academically.  I really think he'd get a great education at the above school, but I think if either of the two we are waiting on are at all affordable, it may delay the decision.

One of the 2 schools would be a good fit, but is the farthest. The other I think would not be a great fit at all, but it is dh's alma mater.  Sigh.

• Like 2

Well, ds made a decision several months ago. Then he applied to two schools over Christmas break and now he's deciding between those two. Had a scholarship weekend at one last weekend and loved it. Visiting the other in early March. Costs are similar so he will just choose between the two.

So we had a decision. And then we didn't. It's been kind of a whirlwind the last couple months. But he is not going to the school we were positive he would attend just two months ago.

I, too, want it over.

• Like 1

Still waiting on one decision (but it’s a reach, so not confident it will even be an option). DD has direct-admit nursing spots at two good in-state public schools with excellent merit scholarships (same amount at both and both have excellent nursing schools). She also has direct-admit spots at two oos small privates with okay merit scholarships (one is better than the other, but both are do-able).

We’ve eliminated the three huge public schools with no direct admission to nursing. Older DD is at one of the oos privates and would very much like younger sister to join her. She’s there on a visit now and may be heavily influenced by the weather: 80s and sunshine while it is gray and 30 degrees at home. I think this decision may go down to the wire.

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 1

He is leaning towards UNC Asheville.  He has all but accepted.  He got a small scholarship, and the school is less expensive than UNCC (with room and board.)  

We are waiting on UNC Charlotte, but even if he gets in, he is thinking of going to Asheville.

We are also waiting on his application to the Honors Program at UNCA to come through.  I don't know if he will get in, and that may not really make any deciding factor, but we are waiting anyway.

So I may have one in the mountains and one at the beach next year!  :hurray:

• Like 3

We are waiting to hear about a competitive scholarship. If she gets it, it will pretty much seal the deal for that school. If she doesn't get it, the other school is cheaper, plus she will be somewhat offended  :laugh: so they will be back in the running. 

She likes both schools, and both are close to home (required for her). Neither are competitive but both appear to have decent honor programs. Both are affordable, but the competitive scholarship is a full ride. 

We'll know by Friday she says anxiously

• Like 4

One and done! Paid the enrollment fee last week and it is now a fact that my kid will be attending her top (and really only) choice, a year earlier than we anticipated. But she is already on a first name basis with the chair of the dept. for her major and a few other staff members. I feel really good about the school being a great fit for her. 

Now to slog through the last few months of high school and take the very last AP exam...

• Like 4

I've been helping a young man this year who really needs a full ride. He is waiting to hear on a competitive scholarship to his top choice. He found out that he is officially a NM Finalist, and he has one of the NM full ride schools as a backup if his scholarship doesn't pan out. The scholarship school would be ideal because it is near supportive family, but it's a real long shot.

• Like 1

One and done! Paid the enrollment fee last week and it is now a fact that my kid will be attending her top (and really only) choice, a year earlier than we anticipated. But she is already on a first name basis with the chair of the dept. for her major and a few other staff members. I feel really good about the school being a great fit for her. 

Now to slog through the last few months of high school and take the very last AP exam...

This was my oldest.  He applied to ONE school, got in, got a good sized scholarship, and he was DONE.  

• Like 2

I wish! She auditioned for 6 schools within the past couple of weeks, and the results will start dribbling in around March 1st, possibly stretching until April 1st.

((Hugs)) truly I don't know how parents of future performing arts majors do it. DD has friends at her dance school doing college dance auditions. So much extra uncertainty and the random audition schedules must be maddening!

• Like 1

No where close.  5 schools that she was accepted to have been ruled out due to cost.  2 are doable, but she decided against one.  We are waiting on a competitive scholarship and looking at other scholarships to see if we can swing the 4th choice.  We are planning on a  couple of college visits and investigating other scholarship options.  

• Like 2

One private school is out of the running because of cost. We were pretty sure he'd get some merit aid and he did get quite a bit but not nearly enough.

Still waiting to hear about a scholarship at one school and visiting the top 2 remaining schools again. So it will be another month at least before he makes a decision.

It's driving me crazy not knowing!!!!!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

That would be so maddening! I hope her results all come in on the earlier side.

((Hugs)) truly I don't know how parents of future performing arts majors do it. DD has friends at her dance school doing college dance auditions. So much extra uncertainty and the random audition schedules must be maddening!

She got a rejection letter yesterday from one of them, and we were actually excited about it because at least we KNOW that one's off the table.  So, maybe there's a method to this madness?

It helps that she has acceptances already, including one that might be where she ends up going after we sort through all the offers  The Really Cool Dream Schools are expensive, and emphasized that they don't have a lot of merit aid.

• Like 2

My ds is choosing between two schools. Not sure when all the info will be in to make that decision but one school has housing selection opening in a few days and the other has fall 2018 course registration for incoming freshman in about a month. I'm the type of person who likes to do those things as soon as they open to have best selection but I am weary of jumping through hoops just in case ds decides to attend a particular school. Trying to keep both doors open as long as needed. I guess I will just be happy it is only two schools we still considering.

Ds also applied for a private scholarship through dh's employer. It is substantial and would make a big bottom line difference as one school would likely use it to reduce aid and the other it could go towards our out of pocket. My older ds won this scholarship and I remember it being announced late. Possibly after May 1. So I guess that will just be bonus and not something we can even figure into the decision. Aggaravating. Too many pieces still out to make an informed decision. Hurry up and wait :(

• Like 2

Not yet, still waiting on the full financial package info from four of the seven schools, as well as a mid-March further scholarship competition at one. Rather maddening as she's had all of her acceptances in for months now. Can't even really start the conversation about trying to get one school to match the merit aid from another until we get the final paperwork.

• Like 3

Dd has one audition left (viola, Music Education--not performance) at UNCG. She has gotten into all 4 universities she applied to, but had to audition to get into the music programs. She has gotten into 2 so far--but only West VA U gave her any $$, and that was only their automatic, ACT-score scholarship, and she doesn't want to go there. 

We are hoping JMU gives her a viola scholarship, but she will go there without any financial help if it comes to that. UNCG has a great program, but we can't afford it unless she plays well enough at the audition to get a scholarship. 

VENT: Part of me is feeling pretty pissy. I mean, what in the world does a kid need to do, to get a scholarship, anyway? She has straight As, took APs, works, is a member of 3 honor societies (Nat'l, music and french), has plenty of volunteer hours, has never been in trouble, wrote really good essays, applied to several scholarships...GEEZ. But App ST and UNCG did not give any merit award to her. JMU, either (but they are known to be stingy). She was even recommended for a scholarship for viola at App by the professor, but NO. 

Anyway...

We liked JMU the best so far. My son is taking her to her audition at UNCG this weekend because I'm sick. She'd have to get a pretty big $$ in order to go there. I doubt it. 

• Like 3

VENT: Part of me is feeling pretty pissy. I mean, what in the world does a kid need to do, to get a scholarship, anyway? She has straight As, took APs, works, is a member of 3 honor societies (Nat'l, music and french), has plenty of volunteer hours, has never been in trouble, wrote really good essays, applied to several scholarships...GEEZ. But App ST and UNCG did not give any merit award to her. JMU, either (but they are known to be stingy). She was even recommended for a scholarship for viola at App

I hear you. It’s so frustrating. In my case, both my girls were waitlisted at our state flagship with ACT scores at the 95 percentile nationally and near 4.0 GPAs with 5+ APs, great ECs, etc. Our vent is: what the $&@/ does it take to get in?

• Like 1

VENT: Part of me is feeling pretty pissy. I mean, what in the world does a kid need to do, to get a scholarship, anyway? She has straight As, took APs, works, is a member of 3 honor societies (Nat'l, music and french), has plenty of volunteer hours, has never been in trouble, wrote really good essays, applied to several scholarships...GEEZ. But App ST and UNCG did not give any merit award to her. JMU, either (but they are known to be stingy). She was even recommended for a scholarship for viola at App by the professor, but NO. 

I'm there with you--top 10% for ACT and GPA, 4.0 in 20+ hours of DE and great otherwise as well, etc, honors college acceptance, and still nothing. Have you gotten a final financial package yet from App? My daughter didn't get anything from UNCG, but hasn't seen anything from App yet. I'm assuming that since we didn't hear anything other than she wasn't invited to the scholarship competition that she won't be getting anything.

I'm there with you--top 10% for ACT and GPA, 4.0 in 20+ hours of DE and great otherwise as well, etc, honors college acceptance, and still nothing. Have you gotten a final financial package yet from App? My daughter didn't get anything from UNCG, but hasn't seen anything from App yet. I'm assuming that since we didn't hear anything other than she wasn't invited to the scholarship competition that she won't be getting anything.

Sometimes it's not "you" --it's either "them" (little/no merit aid budget) or "fit" (the money is earmarked for specific majors or demographics).

Sometimes it's not "you" --it's either "them" (little/no merit aid budget) or "fit" (the money is earmarked for specific majors or demographics).

We knew that going in, particularly since she is the stereotypical college student in so many ways rather than part of very many underrepresented groups, but it's still frustrating to be so far at the top of stats and get nothing at all when a similar school did come through with something. Once the packages are all in, she will be appealing at her top choice for any possible additional merit aid, especially as her gpa has increased and she has a few more awards. Worth a shot.

• Like 1

KarenNC yes, I understand--my dd's viola teacher said you can sometimes present the school you really want with the $$ you were offered at other schools and see if they will do at least "something" to match or to make their offer a little sweeter, but I don't think that is going to happen for us. Dd just isn't "brilliant" on viola. Good, solid player, great student, great girl--but...yeah, Not enough for $. 

I encourage everyone to ask for more scholarship money. You have nothing to lose. Dd was offered more at almost every school. Most were not enough but still they offered more. Ds scholarship increased with top grades after his first year. I wonder if other universities do that? Be brave, good luck everyone. It's so stressful.

I encourage everyone to ask for more scholarship money. You have nothing to lose. Dd was offered more at almost every school. Most were not enough but still they offered more. Ds scholarship increased with top grades after his first year. I wonder if other universities do that? Be brave, good luck everyone. It's so stressful.

We just asked for more merit money at both of DD’s top choices (small oos private schools). She has two other much less expensive options at in state public universities, so we figured we had nothing to lose. If they say no or don’t offer enough, we can just go with one of the safeties.

• Like 1

Several schools have fallen off the list, and now D is waiting on competitive scholarships at three colleges that she likes. She won't be notified until mid-March so we have a bit of a wait.

She got more than full tuition at our local public university but she has become rather negative about it. Sad, but her reasons good. And the terms to keep the scholarship give me reason for concern. It would be awful if she went there just for the scholarship, couldn't keep up the gpa requirement in a challenging program, and we had to pay full fare at a place that made her unhappy.

There is only one admission decision remaining from a more selective public uni that started releasing decisions this week. I'd like a big envelope from them today!!! Merit is stingy but it's an in-state public, and she should be very competitive there. It should be affordable even with a small scholarship.

No decision yet. She ruled out some due to cost. She is not willing to take on crushing debt. Her number one choice is the most expensive of the top 5 contenders. Dd is doing her due diligence and attending the admitted student days at all the schools so she can weigh fiscal responsibility against what the school has to offer.

UGH!  He is going to drive me nuts.  So the Asheville thing may be off the table.  He now says he knows what he wants to major in and right now, since it is almost MARCH, it is too late to apply where he should be applying.  So.....we are back to encouraging him to go to CC next year, focus on what he needs to do to get into the college that has what he needs/wants, and reapplying as a transfer student to another school for next year.

But, ultimately, he still hasn't decided, and after a long discussion, I think waiting a year or even two at home and the CC is not a bad idea. Although we did suggest the local 4 year school as well for Gen Eds.  

I love him dearly and he is a really good kid, but he just doesn't always think things through.

• Like 2

We are still waiting for admittance decisions from 3 schools...2 are reaches so we are not really expecting to have them as a choice.

We've narrowed it down a bit but not nearly enough, and are still waiting on some possible scholarships.

I'm so thankful and feeling lucky that their safety school is a great option financially and is a pretty good school.

• Like 1

dd got a good scholarship at the competition, but not the top, so that brings a second school back into play. And then a third school, which she had mostly taken off of the table, invited her for a scholarship interview. In March, ugh. 

She really wants to be done, but this school used to be at the top of her list, and I really want her to look at it again. I told her that the interviews would be good practice for later in life, lol. 

Unless they offer her a nice chunk of additional change, the other two schools will be cheaper, but not by much if the state scholarships get defunded. Which will almost certainly happen to some extent. 

So second school tour tomorrow, third school interview in March. Looks like we might be playing this one out to the bitter end. 

• Like 2

My son turned down the competitive 4-year, full-tuition scholarship in favor of the engineering internship and gap year.  He will be reapplying to 2 or 3 schools he was accepted to this year (just not the one he turned down), as well as 4 Service Academies, VMI and the Citadel (ROTC).  Guess I'll be busy with college requirements 3 years in a row!  OY!  One school agreed to hold a spot (and the scholarships he's earned) for one year.  We just have to send updates and keep the swimming coach up to date.  

• Like 4

Hobbes has five conditional offers in hand.  One is cheaper but the others all cost the same.  He is going on two more university visits shortly to decide on his first choice.  His second choice is fixed because he likes the place and they gave him a low offer.*  He has to decide by early May.  In each case, he has arranged a gap year before starting.

*UK university offers are usually conditional on performance in final public exams, in Hobbes' case the IB.  So for his first choices he needs to achieve 36 points and for his backup he needs 32.  He'll know on 5th July which university he will be going to the following year.

• Like 2

I think we have a decision (though I thought that six months ago and I was wrong so I still feel a little hesitant).

Ds ended up choosing between two out of state schools. Very large public U and small private. Financial aid packages yielded a similar bottom line but I am leary of increasing costs over the next four years at the private school. Our FAFSA EFC should be similar next year but the third year we will go down to one in college and that will increase our EFC as would any increases in income we might experience. In my research I found that the percentage of aid for returning students at the private school was lower than for freshmen and housing gets much more expensive once they move out of the freshman dorm. Overall I just felt much less comfortable with the long term picture at the private school.

Ds liked both schools so it is OK. I would have loved to tell him to just pick without regard to finances but there just seemed to be a lot of risk and that each year waiting for the aid package would be stressful.

I will say that I have found it important to dig into the housing costs at each school. They can vary from what is used to compute the cost of attendance and they can jump up a lot when moving into the dorms for upperclassmen. Sometimes it can be a good surprise in that there is a cheaper option than the one used to estimate cost of attendance. Sometimes it can be more.

• Like 4

short answer:  No

My son hasn't ruled out any of the schools he has heard from, but he can't decide until he hears from the too-selective OOS public--where admissions can't help noticing that he would be an over-represented minority and one of way-too-many males there--that his heart is set on.  This should happen on Saturday, which can't come soon enough, even though I dread it.

• Like 4

Down to two schools and still waiting for the one to make their admissions announcements (after March 1st).  The drumroll will be happening soon...

Well, he has been accepted to both schools, so now the wait continues as he figures out which one he wants to choose.  They are only polar opposites in just about every way I can think of, but he really was not expecting to have this choice, so it is rather amusing to watch this dc who is always so decisive be suddenly contemplative as he ponders where he wants to live, study and build relationships over these next four years... :lurk5:

• Like 5