Menu

Learning CBT or DBT to use with family members....

umsami

Anybody have any recommendations for books or courses to learn either CBT or DBT to use with a family member who does not want to seek out professional therapy at this time?

I've seen some books and even a course or two on Udemy, but am looking for real life BTDT folks.

Not personally, though I have stumbled upon some of those books on amazon.  Maybe you could search there for the topic & CBT?  Like - "ADHD CBT."

As an aside several people we know who went through cognitive therapy have mentioned that the therapist said the same things other people in their life said, they just said it in a way they could really hear.  And they didn't think they could hear it from someone they were already close to.  They trusted the therapist to be objective where they didn't trust anyone else.  So.... if the book attempt fails, please don't write off CBT entirely.  A person has to want to & be ready to change to change.  Resistance to even a single therapy visit would signal to me that they are not interested in changing, and you pushing a book is likely to be frustrating for everyone.

• Like 1

Anybody have any recommendations for books or courses to learn either CBT or DBT to use with a family member who does not want to seek out professional therapy at this time?

I've seen some books and even a course or two on Udemy, but am looking for real life BTDT folks.

What age? child? teen?

For children, there are a lot of good ones.  I think this one is clear and helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Helping-Anxious-Child-Step-Step/dp/1572245751/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519052133&sr=8-1&keywords=helping+child+with+anxiety

For a young child, especially if you read the above, a good workbook to go through together is:

What to do if you worry too much.

For teens there is Helping Your Anxious Teen.

Off the top of my head, I think the first is CBT, the second adds some DBT.

I have others I like, but those are a good start. Both are in my library system.

• Like 1

LOL. Sometimes I wish I didn't have experience with this, but I'm always glad to help.

This is the classic DBT book. Some therapists use it, but it can also be used yourself:

https://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook/dp/1572245131/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519053915&sr=8-1&keywords=dbt+workbook

Keep in mind that DBT can take a lot of time and effort. My therapist said that if they stick with it, most of her DBT clients need a year of therapy. She assigns homework from that workbook with handouts and additional reading. That said, if they stick with it, she has seen some real turnarounds. 

Here's a CBT book for depression from that series:

https://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-Behavioral-Workbook-Depression-Step/dp/1608823806/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1608823806&pd_rd_r=107YF1VMPF8FKJ6M560Q&pd_rd_w=WiNOE&pd_rd_wg=fA1ru&psc=1&refRID=107YF1VMPF8FKJ6M560Q

There are others on Amazon, but I'm not familiar with them.

• Like 2

If you're wanting the CBT for mindfulness, self regulation, anxiety, etc, then the Interroception book and Mighteor software would be options.

We've actually had Mighteor for four months now, and none of the kids like it sadly.  It's too hard to move levels or they don't like the games or what not.  Our counselor offered to make it easier for them to get acorns and such, but getting the kids to actually do the Mighteor was like pulling teeth.  I wish it had worked better for our family. 

We've actually had Mighteor for four months now, and none of the kids like it sadly.  It's too hard to move levels or they don't like the games or what not.  Our counselor offered to make it easier for them to get acorns and such, but getting the kids to actually do the Mighteor was like pulling teeth.  I wish it had worked better for our family. 

That's really curious that it's so hard for them. My ds has autism, and for him I had to sit right with him, keeping him on track. It was several months before he was able to play on his own. It was just very hard for him.

Have you connected it to wifi to update? The updates made it much, much easier to earn acorns, and there are tons of new games. I play it myself. Some of the games are hard for me, but many are fine and fun. 

One of the "counselors" they had was utterly worthless and clueless. It sounds like you didn't get any help to problem solve. It seems odd that NONE of your kids could do well with it. What was happening? Were they frustrated? Were they having a hard time doing the missions? Were they even noticing the missions? On his own, my ds wasn't really paying attention to the missions. It's a lot and they need some growth before they can do all that. They might need more support or some help to problem solve why they're not succeeding. But if it's just hard, well that's your clue they need it. Kids who don't need it blow through it.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s at all atypical to not be able to ‘homeschool’ this aspect of counseling / special needs support. This is often very difficult stuff even with a counselor.

I’ve used the ‘What To Do When You... ‘ books with my daughter to some positive effect and can recommend them.

• Like 1