Menu

SAT Math Subject Test?

Excellent, thanks. 

He is not ready for Math 2 yet. He’s finishing up AOPS Geometry so I’m not even sure he’d be ready for Math 1. I hadn’t really even had it on my radar until I went to the site to sign him up for the Chem Subject Test and started looking around and thought about the Math ones. 

I’ll shelve the Math one for a year or two. 

piggybacking on this: one of the schools my son might apply to requires the math subject test specifically for homeschoolers (which I think is silly, since he'll have a math SAT score, a BC calc score, and probably 2 semesters of DE math after calculus to show them by the time he graduates, but that's another topic)....should he spend time preparing for the math 2 test specifically, given that he's doing calculus at the same time, or can we assume he'll be prepared for it already?

piggybacking on this: one of the schools my son might apply to requires the math subject test specifically for homeschoolers (which I think is silly, since he'll have a math SAT score, a BC calc score, and probably 2 semesters of DE math after calculus to show them by the time he graduates, but that's another topic)....should he spend time preparing for the math 2 test specifically, given that he's doing calculus at the same time, or can we assume he'll be prepared for it already?

No, you cannot assume he is prepared. He should do some targeted test prep to become familiar with the style of questions and to review the material that is tested; calculus will not be on the SAT2 test, but algebra 2 and precalculus will be.

• Like 1

No, you cannot assume he is prepared. He should do some targeted test prep to become familiar with the style of questions and to review the material that is tested; calculus will not be on the SAT2 test, but algebra 2 and precalculus will be.

I was afraid that would be the answer. 

Can we talk prep books for Math 2?  Last night I ordered the College Board's official book of all subject tests and another College Board official book specifically for Math 2 (4 tests).  I'm hoping the two books don't have the same tests.  Will that be enough practice for a very good math student or do I need to pick up a Princeton Review or something?

Can we talk prep books for Math 2?  Last night I ordered the College Board's official book of all subject tests and another College Board official book specifically for Math 2 (4 tests).  I'm hoping the two books don't have the same tests.  Will that be enough practice for a very good math student or do I need to pick up a Princeton Review or something?

My kids used Barron's, but all thought the real test was way easier than the Barron tests. I don't know if it would have been better to skip the Barrons and just practice with the two released exams or not. However, the Barrons prep didn't take up much time, so I made the same decision all three times to use Barrons
  • Like 3

When to take is hard to gauge for someone else. When your child can hit a good score on the CollegeBoard practice test, that’s a good time to register for the subject test.

(ETA:

DS12 took Math 2 subject test after AoPS intermediate algebra)

Can we talk prep books for Math 2? Last night I ordered the College Board's official book of all subject tests and another College Board official book specifically for Math 2 (4 tests). I'm hoping the two books don't have the same tests. Will that be enough practice for a very good math student or do I need to pick up a Princeton Review or something?

The 2 tests earlier version was the same as the big thick subject tests book. My kids only use the 2 tests version since the newer 4 tests version came out later. What is nice is that it shows how many candidates answer correctly for each question so that was fun information to my kids.

I won’t bother buying PR or Barron’s unless you use up all 4 practice tests in the CollegeBoard book and your child still need to work on timing. Even then, see if your library has a copy since you don’t need the latest edition. There hasn’t been changes to the math subject tests to require the latest edition.

The CollegeBoard book is also good for knowing how they phrase the questions because my kids after completing the practice tests would comment on the English and the grammar. So even my DS13 who found the CollegeBoard book easy finds it useful to do at least one practice test from it.

My DS12 did need to work on timing but did manage to complete the Math 2 subject test, surprising himself :) He took the August date so he use two weeks in summer to prep. DS13 had time to spare but he has always been fast in computation. DS13 prep in May after AP exams were over for the June date.

Math subject test is the only subject test that allows use of calculator. Even my “calculator dependent†kid didn’t use it much on test day (Aug 2017).

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2