Menu

What's with the ads?

kfeusse

Cooking meat

I know we're supposed to use a meat thermometer for food safety but I do the "cut into it and check at the color" test.

• Like 2

Since every single meat thermometer I've ever owned has broken within a couple of months, yeah I just check by color/texture.  Since the only times I've ever had food poisoning is from restaurants, I'm not too worried about checking for an exact temperature.

Bone-in or really thick cuts of chicken I usually get out the thermometer for. Most other things, no. And I have more than a little anxiety about barf-inducing illnesses (although I prefer my steak almost mooing).

• Like 1

For a roast beef/pork/turkey in the oven, yes, I'd use my digital meat thermometer that beeps when it reaches the certain temperature.

But for a pan frying, no, I just know when it's done by its look. 

I use a thermometer sometimes but it depends on the meat and how I’m cooking it. I check chicken and pork with a thermometer more often, especially when I use my unreliable oven, but not beef.

• Like 1

Since every single meat thermometer I've ever owned has broken within a couple of months, 

These are pretty much indestructible. Also inexpensive.

• Like 1

I ask my dh and I'm not kidding. or I just cook it until there is NO way it's undercooked. :lol: meat is not a strength of mine. I usually prep it and start it and have dh give it the ok.

• Like 1

I'm a vegan, but the rest of the house eats meat. I am also the primary cook, so I use a meat thermometer every time I cook something more complicated than hot dogs.

Not by sight, but by feel for anything on the stove or bbq. In general, it's learning firmness and desired doneness.

For most roasts, I cook according to the weight/temp/time.

For big turkeys, for example, though, I rely a bit on the pop up thermometer, cooking time per pound, and I use a thermometer that I never am sure of its accuracy. I'm looking at the tthermometer suggested by Bibiche above though!

Since every single meat thermometer I've ever owned has broken within a couple of months, yeah I just check by color/texture.  Since the only times I've ever had food poisoning is from restaurants, I'm not too worried about checking for an exact temperature.

I like the ones where you can leave them in the meat with the gauge outside the oven.  And it's the same deal.  They don't last all that long.

I eyeball the little stuff and use a thermometer for roasted beef and chicken. Now that I have a Sous Vide I can do steaks and salmon without accidentally over doing it. I’m more afraid of overcooking than undercooking.

I eyeball the little stuff and use a thermometer for roasted beef and chicken. Now that I have a Sous Vide I can do steaks and salmon without accidentally over doing it. I’m more afraid of overcooking than undercooking.

That's why I use it for certain things too.  I don't want to overcook it.

Ground beef I cook by sight, as well as thinly sliced chicken or beef used for stir fry. 

Chicken breasts, pork chops, anything in the oven (well, not chicken legs, which I have a specific recipe for and never come out wrong), all gets the meat thermometer. Also on the grill stuff (steaks, etc.). 

We have a digital that you can insert the probe, and carry around the reader and it beeps when done. We've had it a few years now and still going strong. 

I no longer trust thermometers.  I've had a few instances where I decided to use a thermometer instead of sight and found a bit of raw chicken inside a breast that was 10 degrees overcooked.