Menu

About those Speed Queens...

Martha in GA

So, I splurged and bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer on-line, and I purposely bought the older model because I didn't want the electronic gadgets. I ordered on Feb. 12 and I just looked to see when it would be shipping, when I noticed that they are planning to ship the newer model : (. I'm a bit upset that they didn't inform me that they had switched my order!!! I think I can still cancel my order since it hasn't shipped yet. Do I want to cancel my order? Am I going to be unhappy with the newer Speed Queen? I really hate the lid lock thing...

The lid lock on my LG is annoying as it takes an extra step to pause the machine before opening the lid.  But, I got used to it.  If that is your only objection, I wouldn't cancel it just for that. 

I had one of those nice Speed Queens for about 20 years, then bought the LG.  I do wish I had the Speed Queen back - either older or modern model. 

• Like 1

I don't think the jury is in on the new ones yet.

My guess based on what I have seen so far is that they will still be pretty reliable, there will be overrides to enable you to get around the worst of the low water level changes, but they won't clean super grimy clothes as well as the old ones did.

All in all, if I HAD TO buy a new machine right now, it's still what I would buy, but with an extended warranty.

• Like 1

The lid lock on my LG is annoying as it takes an extra step to pause the machine before opening the lid.  But, I got used to it.  If that is your only objection, I wouldn't cancel it just for that. 

I keep hearing about mother boards that go out on the newer models, costing more to repair than replace, so I wanted the simple knobs without all the fancy electronics. My basic Kenmore has lasted over 30 years, I'm sad to see it go, but it is leaking oil underneath...

My Mom is a devoted top loader person.

Although not a Speed Queen, she just got a new washing machine (think it's Maytag? Maybe Whirlpool) that has the dreaded lid-lock which drives me crazy.   But what's 1000x worse is that you can no longer fill the machine and let things soak.   If you do that, it will automatically drain itself after a few minutes.

So....while the lid lock is annoying, the not being able to soak things is much much worse.  I would double check to make sure that they didn't implement that horrible feature.

I also wonder if it's possible to disable the lid-lock....and if it's some sort of new safety requirement required on all new washers.  Maybe ask customer service?

• Like 2

My Mom is a devoted top loader person.

Although not a Speed Queen, she just got a new washing machine (think it's Maytag? Maybe Whirlpool) that has the dreaded lid-lock which drives me crazy.   But what's 1000x worse is that you can no longer fill the machine and let things soak.   If you do that, it will automatically drain itself after a few minutes.

So....while the lid lock is annoying, the not being able to soak things is much much worse.  I would double check to make sure that they didn't implement that horrible feature.

I also wonder if it's possible to disable the lid-lock....and if it's some sort of new safety requirement required on all new washers.  Maybe ask customer service?

Not being able to soak would probably be a deal-breaker for me. Definitely something to consider.

• Like 3

is it maybe toddlers drowning? 

I would think toddlers are very, very rarely going to get up over the top of a top-loader. It's not like a front-loading machine that a kid or pet could climb right in.

The let's-make-everything-complicated trend in consumer goods is really annoying.

WHY are lids locking on top-loaders?  Any why would they drain automatically?  I don't understand why these are features.

I know, it's so ridiculous. Just once it would be nice for manufacturers to take into account how real people actually use their products and what they NEED when "upgrading" and changing them!

I know, it's so ridiculous. Just once it would be nice for manufacturers to take into account how real people actually use their products and what they NEED when "upgrading" and changing them!

I'm relatively sure that lid locks are put in by law or at least because of liability, not because manufacturers are just arbitrarily changing features. Machines also have to comply with laws about efficiency, so reducing water use per load.