Menu

Prayers and positive thoughts for my mom

lewber

Prayers for you, your mom, and her doctors. 

I have no experience, but my sister's father-in-law has struggled after a surgery. The family tried to carry the burden themselves. Please reach out to a hospital social worker or connect with others in your community to learn of best strategies. There is help out there for those ask. 

Many blessings to you and yours. 

• Like 2

Thank you all. We do think they'll be rehab hospital in the future. She's not happy about that, as I gather most people aren't. Everyone wants to be in their home. She owns her own business and still works every day so she's just used to having her own way and following her own schedule.

We are very fortunate to have wonderful friends in the medical community to keep us on the right path and share their knowledge. Very grateful.

• Like 3

Prayers and hugs to you and your mom. :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: 

It's great that your mom is in such good shape for her age. That should make recovery easier. When my FIL broke his hip a few years ago, he was overweight, diabetic, and in the early stages of dementia, and he still managed to come through it okay. 

• Like 1

Prayers and hugs! :grouphug: :grouphug:

My mom went through a little over a year ago at age 88. She fell and broke both her femur and her hip badly. After surgery, she spent about six weeks in a rehab facility, followed by living with my brother's family for another month. When she moved back to her own home, I went up and stayed with her for two weeks while she got settled & got some services in place (meals, cleaning, handicap tag for her car, etc).

Today she is back on her feet in all ways, living in her home alone and driving and enjoying an active social life. Her bones have healed very well and she's not experiencing any problems. Hoping your mom has a similar outcome!

• Like 6

Prayers and hugs! :grouphug: :grouphug:

My mom went through a little over a year ago at age 88. She fell and broke both her femur and her hip badly. After surgery, she spent about six weeks in a rehab facility, followed by living with my brother's family for another month. When she moved back to her own home, I went up and stayed with her for two weeks while she got settled & got some services in place (meals, cleaning, handicap tag for her car, etc).

Today she is back on her feet in all ways, living in her home alone and driving and enjoying an active social life. Her bones have healed very well and she's not experiencing any problems. Hoping your mom has a similar outcome!

Wow! What a great outcome for your mom. Let's hope mine does as well. Thanks for sharing.

Thinking of you and your mom.  DH's grandmother also fell and broke her hip in her early 90s (93 I think).  She had surgery and spent a fairly short time at a rehab place and then went home to her apartment.  She had been living on her own (not in a senior's block, just a regular apartment) and continued to do so for 5 years after her surgery.  She went back to driving and taking care of everything on her own until she had another fall at 98.  She was in decent health beforehand and that helped.  Hoping for a similarly positive outcome for your mom.

I remember when my father was in rehab. He mentioned that the people who really put effort into their rehab did so much better than the reluctant ones who fought it every step of the way. Hoping she has a speedy recovery! 

:iagree: My dad had his hip replaced and refused to do the physical therapy.  He is still struggling to walk a year and a half later.