Menu

Modern French lit

Roadrunner

Maybe a variation on what madteaparty was asking about. Any good suggestions for modern novels written in French that are kid friendly?

I just finished Le Collier Rouge, which is about WW1 (time period) but written just recently. Loved, loved, loved the story and will have my kid persevere through it.

More good books recently published?

• Like 1

The Stranger 😂

I’d also give Pagnol another whirl.

DS read The Elegance of the Hedgehog but I can’t remember if he read in English or French. This is published in the US by the same publisher as Red Collar. There’s a bit a wry philosophizing on class etc there but some chapters are from the perspective of a precocious 12 year old and he loved those (warning: she has rationally decided she will end her life and goes into detail as about why. It’s more sarcastic than dark and it doesn’t happen. Most of her chapters are hilarious commentary).

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

There is the modern time period in the Swiss matu list.

I do not know if this interests you, but some of the French publishing houses have 'romans historiques' - which fit into different time periods and would work well with WTM...

The problem is that I can't remember the Editor I had in mind.

A quick search produced this list

https://www.babelio.com/liste/5485/Roman-historique-pour-la-jeunesse

But you could probably find others...

• Like 1