Menu

Would you report to the facility or the medical board? (please don't quote)

TeenagerMom

First scenario I would not be inclined to report.

Second yes, I would report. Telling a 17 year old they would need to be on antipsychotic medication by age thirty is in no way appropriate professional behavior.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

I absolutely would start by reporting both to the clinic first.  If they are aggressively pursuing medications and overdiagnosis in children that's probably a pattern that should be looked at.  I might or might not approach anyone else depending on how that report went.  You might actually find better luck with online reviews.

• Like 1

The second scenario sounds way out of line. I'd report that to whomever has oversight.

The first scenario sounds within the realms of normal to me, and I personally wouldn't complain about it. Did he explain why he was recommending the med? It's an antipsychotic? Sometimes those meds are used at different doses for other reasons - sleep, irritability..

No, there was no explanation as to why the medication was recommended.  His nurse called me to get permission for him to prescribe it and didn't offer any explanation and wasn't upset/distressed/whatever when I told her I felt that it wasn't needed.  I asked if they were seeing behaviors that we don't see at home that would possibly give an indication on the recommendation and she was the one who told me DC had been a perfect patient with no issues.  DC definitely wasn't sleeping well at the facility though because Dc had a dangerous roommate who was on 24/7 supervision so they were getting lights shined in their faces every few minutes for checks :crying: .

In that case, I might provide feedback to the facility, that you weren't given the information you needed on meds to make an informed decision for dd. Less of a complaint, more of a reminder that they really need to sit down with parents and explain their recommendations. I know they are super busy, but working with family is important.

Definitely chase up the second scenario though.

Thanks.  I know you have experience in this world so your advice is greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Frankly, the psychiatrists are there for medication management. It would surprise me if they didn’t recommend meds. It’s both clinically and culturally accepted practice.

I suppose you could report it, but likely their recommendations were justified on whatever they documented seeing.

• Like 2

To be clear, I'd report the APN for her telling a 17yr old she'd be on antipsychotics by 30 AND for being aggressive to a carer. And for diagnosing three illnesse in 30 min ?! Also, the APN did not work in partnership with the parents, and did not discuss with the mother behaviours at home.

(If I'm wrong on any of that, correct me, TeenagerMom ?)

Edited by TeenagerMom
  • Like 2