Menu

Figuring out what to do after homeschooling.....?? For those that are now employed professionally.

Prairie~Phlox

I oringally went to school for Hospitality Management with an emphasis in food service. I have a BS. Worked for about a year before staying home and haven’t looked back. But now thinking ahead....Over the years I have helped my husband run a painting business, ran an 80+ homeschool co-op for about 6 years and now work part time in merchandising. I would prefer a job where I don’t work weekends, I feel I am good at administration, communicating with people, management in general. There is a Business & Professional Exchange networking group that I think I want to join in about 8 months. I actually don’t plan to go back to work until after next May, but don’t want to wait until then to start searching. Maybe get involved with this group in a year, but just thinking ahead now. If something came up that I could work part time at home and part time in an office, I would jump on it, so there is that thought as well, On the form, it wants a Title and Description, I have no idea what to put on that? Any suggestions? How did you figure out what you wanted to do? Are you in a field that you were in before staying home? Really I feel I could do about anything, it’s more proving myself and getting there and figuring out what I am worth.

How did I figure out what I wanted to do?

I'm not sure I so much "wanted" to do it, but I went back to my professional job that I had for 15 years before quitting to homeschool. I don't love it like I used to, but it pays me far more than anything else I think I could be doing at this point. I'm in my mid-50s, it's comfortable, and I enjoy my bosses and co-workers. I'm grateful for this job!

I didn't so much "figure out" what I wanted to do as kind of stumble upon it while flailing around trying other things.

Pre-kids, I bounced between various flavors of editing and book retailing (managing bookstores), before settling into technical writing. I hated tech writing, but I was good at it and it mostly paid the bills. After our daughter was born, I continued to do some work on a freelance basis, but finally let that go when I was pregnant with our son. 

I've always loved education, so I kind of loosely intended to go back to school after our son graduated, figuring I'd get a teaching certificate or maybe a master's. When the time came, though, that just wasn't financially possible. So, I decided to try and find some kind of education-related job I could do without additional credentials. I spent a few years kind of rattling around, taking every part-time thing I could find. I tutored online, taught reading and exam prep at a Huntington Learning Center, temped grading standardized exam essays, substituted in the local public schools, taught writing classes for homeschoolers . . . 

Some of it I liked, and much of it I hated. None of it paid anything like a living wage or offered the possibility of a full-time, permanent job. 

One of the things I did while trying to spruce up my resume was to take a few free computer classes at the library. One day, I was sitting in the class and realized that I would be really good at teaching those classes. So, I started watching the job listings on the library website and applying every time a trainer position (or one that I thought might relate to or be a stepping stone to one) opened. On my fourth attempt, I got an interview and was hired part-time. I continued juggling a couple of the other part-time gigs at first, until the library bumped me from 24 hours a week to 32. 

In November, I transitioned to full time. 

Most importantly, I really like my job. I get to teach a wide variety of classes (basic computer usage, coding, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, sewing, knitting, crochet . . .) to both kids and adults. And I get to propose and develop new classes and programs. It's kind of like homeschooling, only I'm teaching members of the community instead of just my kids.

I don't think I get paid what I'm "worth." If I were trying to support a family, this wouldn't be the job on which to do it. A single person who was moderately frugal could live pretty nicely on what I make, though, and the benefits are decent. 

Like ThisIsTheDay, I'm in my 50s and content to be in a comfortable place. I love my co-workers and the knowledge that I'm being of service to my community. 

At least for now, I feel like I've landed in the right place for me.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5