Menu

Latin after SSL2 (Minimus, GSWL...)

Kathryn

My second child is finishing SSL2 and second grade soon and really wants to continue with Latin. He has done really well with SSL. He memorized vocabulary and the chants much better than his older brother did when he was older. Big brother started with GSWL in 4th and then moved on to BBLL. My 2nd grader is enthusiastic about Latin right now and I'm nervous that doing GSWL won't be as fun for him and he'll lose that love he has for it.

I was looking at Minimus because a friend said she'd let me borrow it and he saw it and asked for it. I'm nervous about the whole-to-parts after reading old threads. But, then again, I'm not looking for mastery here; the only reason I started him in Latin in the first place was because he wanted to be like his brother. Also, he is a reluctant and very average student overall, with the exceptions being grammar and Latin, which he really enjoys.

So, having said all that, where would you go from here? Could I do Minimus next year and let him just have fun with it and then move on to GSWL in 4th?

We LOVED SSL 1 and 2, but we have floundered since then. We really haven't loved anything we have tried. Tried LfC, Minimus, BBLL, Visual Latin... We are back to Lively Latin. It's going well this time. Maybe they were too young the first time. Just wish SSL continued... LfC was not a good continuation for us.

We LOVED SSL 1 and 2, but we have floundered since then. We really haven't loved anything we have tried. Tried LfC, Minimus, BBLL, Visual Latin... We are back to Lively Latin. It's going well this time. Maybe they were too young the first time. Just wish SSL continued... LfC was not a good continuation for us.

Yes, I don't recall why I had written off LfC, but I know I had back when I looked at it for my oldest. He did well with his progression I mentioned, but he's overall a better student than his younger brother, so I don't want to start the second one on the same thing even earlier than my older did them. I think they'll be good for him later, I just don't feel like he's ready at this point, but I want to honor his enthusiasm since this is literally the only school subject he's enthusiastic about.

We actually moved on to LFC A. It was revised last year. The workbook is a lot less boring and visually interesting. You follow a storyline about two kids throughout the course. Mine enjoys it a lot and will be moving on to LFC B which will be revised and leased by May this year. I think Headventureland helps for my son as well.

You might want to look at the revised edition. The first 36 pages available at the Look Inside Link. https://classicalacademicpress.com/product/latin-for-children-primer-a-program/ 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1