Menu

Best location/method for ear piercing of a 8-year-old and her mother

shawthorne44

Back in the far distant past, DD asked to get her ears pierced.   I had a brief heart-attack that my baby was asking for such a thing.  So, I picked a age that I though was in the distant future but not too old (i.e. 30), and I said, "When you turn 8 you can have your ears pierced and I'll have mine redone at the same time."   This pleased her, so I had a reprieve.     

I bet you see where this is going, DD is turning 8 in a few months.  

I remember reading a thread here on ear piercing and cleanliness and devices and where to get it done.   But it was long enough ago that I don't remember the details and I can't find it.   Can anyone help me out?   One thing I remember about the previous thread was that someone mentioned a particular device that was really nice and that the poster's local Walmart had it.   I remember because I was surprised.  

I am NOT interested in the needle method or a tattoo parlor ( I don't care how sterile or pretty it is).   

Also, anyone have a recommendation for little girl earrings that stay in without hurting the head?   
Shoot, mommy earrings that can stay in and don't hurt would be nice too.  

A professional piercer will be safer and less painful. Dd’s were done with surgical stainless steel barbells so it’s totally rounded on both ends. It’s safer than a mall type piercing stud because it was slightly longer than her earlobe so that there was air on both sides and access to wipe off the scabby junk.

• Like 1

Those earrings at the Piercing Pagada look so cute, but most of them have bad reviews on them and I can't read the reviews.  

Where/How does one find a professional piercer?   And those barbells?   The rounded back sounds like it would be comfy.   

Edited by shawthorne44

Can I ask why you are not at all interested in the needle method? I'm not trying to debate it, I'm truly curious. DD9 has started showing interest in having her ears pierced and a friend of ours recently went on and on (and on) about how much better that method is. So now I've been holding off because that way is a lot more $$ but I wanted to do it "right". I would love to hear a reason it's *not* superior or is just unnecessary.

*disclaimer, no I have not yet Googled the issue.

Nothing scientific.   It just seems like a bad idea to make a hole with a needle (getting the area very irritated) and THEN sticking an earring in.   It just seems like cruel and unusual punishment.   Turning the earring was bad enough that first day.   I can't imagine doing the equivalent of piercing the ear removing the earring and then sticking it in again.  

But shawthorne44, you've got it completely backwards.

The needle does LESS trauma to the ear than the gun. That makes it LESS painful, and means it heals FASTER. (And that's before we start talking about which equipment is more sterile.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

Nothing scientific.   It just seems like a bad idea to make a hole with a needle (getting the area very irritated) and THEN sticking an earring in.   It just seems like cruel and unusual punishment.   Turning the earring was bad enough that first day.   I can't imagine doing the equivalent of piercing the ear removing the earring and then sticking it in again.  

Get scientific! :)

Those piercing guns at the mall are not sterile. The needle is the way to go. Check with your doctor's office. Some of them have started offering ear piercing (and they do it with a sterile needle). 

Back in the far distant past, DD asked to get her ears pierced. I had a brief heart-attack that my baby was asking for such a thing. So, I picked a age that I though was in the distant future but not too old (i.e. 30), and I said, "When you turn 8 you can have your ears pierced and I'll have mine redone at the same time." This pleased her, so I had a reprieve.

I bet you see where this is going, DD is turning 8 in a few months.

I remember reading a thread here on ear piercing and cleanliness and devices and where to get it done. But it was long enough ago that I don't remember the details and I can't find it. Can anyone help me out? One thing I remember about the previous thread was that someone mentioned a particular device that was really nice and that the poster's local Walmart had it. I remember because I was surprised.

I am NOT interested in the needle method or a tattoo parlor ( I don't care how sterile or pretty it is).

Also, anyone have a recommendation for little girl earrings that stay in without hurting the head?

Shoot, mommy earrings that can stay in and don't hurt would be nice too.

I just experienced a women-owned tattoo parlor. They had an insane waiting list and are THE place where women go to get the decorative choli tattoos over mastectomy scars. It was pretty and clean and spa-like and all of the art on the wall was just beautiful. Nothing scary or sketchy. They do piercings too. I wouldn’t hesitate to take a little girl to a place like that. I was taking my own daughter, but she’s 21. ðŸ˜

I know you said you weren’t interested, and I believe you, but someone else reading this might not know there are super girly tattoo parlors out there. My daughter and I both did the gun and the needle piercing at different times. The needle was less painful and didn’t have that clicking noise that makes you jump.

• Like 1

Nothing scientific. It just seems like a bad idea to make a hole with a needle (getting the area very irritated) and THEN sticking an earring in. It just seems like cruel and unusual punishment. Turning the earring was bad enough that first day. I can't imagine doing the equivalent of piercing the ear removing the earring and then sticking it in again.

The needle is hollow and actually removes a small piece of the lobe. And they thread the earring through in the process of pushing the needle through. My girls were 6 and 8 and didn't flinch at all. You can find YouTube videos of it to get an idea.