Menu

Please share what you do for logic history

My oldest will be in 5th grade next year, and we will be restarting the history cycle with ancients.  I will also have a 2nd grader with whom I plan on using SOTW vol. 1, which my oldest read in 1st grade.  I would love to hear what everyone else has done/is doing/plans to do with their logic-stage history.  

K12 Human Odyssey with literature. Very happy with these books. A step up from SOTW, but still have a strong narrative style. Attractive layout and art. Inexpensive, if you buy them used on Amazon.

There are 3 volumes. I spread them over 4 yrs to match the SOTW time periods and to allow for rabbit trails.

We mostly discuss. I do have dd practice outlining and writing summaries too, but not lots.

Next yr I will have kids in 5th grader and 8th, so we may and do history together (using K12 HO) for one  year before Dd hits high school. Still ruminating on this. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

I love the World in Ancient times by Oxford University Press.  Lots of pictures and primary sources.  We just read, make timelines, and he writes a 1-3 paragraph summary of important people/places/artifacts couple times a week.  We also do a map or two for each book. We keep it all together as a book of centuries documenting his work and learning.  This year we have done Ancient Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt and Ancient China. We will finish with Ancient Greece and pick up Ancient Rome next fall.  My kid loves reading these and always has to tell me all that he has learned.  I wish we had time to do all the other books in the series. Buy a used copy.  They are hardback and not workbooks, so they should be fine. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Near-Eastern-World-Times/dp/0195161599/ref=pd_sim_14_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0195161599&pd_rd_r=FNJAF4FBGXHHET3VPKJQ&pd_rd_w=rM9Vo&pd_rd_wg=oGXac&psc=1&refRID=FNJAF4FBGXHHET3VPKJQ

Edited by SRoss5
  • Like 1

I use a mix of K12 Human Odyssey and the OUP World in Ancient Times/Medieval and Early Modern World books.  This year we are HO2 so we will run out of OUP books to use to supplement. Next year when my youngest does HO3 I will have to figure out how to supplement it, if at all.

Like ScoutTN, we do history-related literature. I use the Well Trained Mind for our book lists. 

Edited by cintinative

We didn't follow the history cycle. I felt like it was a good time to explore other things since we'd already done one rotation and there was so much that got glossed over, so one year was state history (home-designed), one US (condensed version of Hakim's History of US), and one was history of science (Build Your Library). Right now, it's world geography (Acellus).

I use SOTW over again. They're so interesting and detailed; my older kids really enjoy them, too. We also mostly read and discuss, keep a wall timeline, and my older logic-stage kids sometimes use the material for writing assignments. Instead of map work, I have my younger ones look up locations on the globe.

Edited by hollyhock

I use the TOG schedule and discussions as my base and throw out a lot and add in a lot. History is what my homeschool is based around. For logic stage, I've added Human Odyssey, American Odyssey, my state public school State History book, OUP ancient and medieval series, art and music history books, and then lots of books on specific topics throughout the year.

If I have a younger child, am I better off just sticking with SOTW as the primary text and supplementing with additional stuff on specific topics for the older?  I'd like to teach history for both kids together.  I don't mind reading SOTW out loud to the younger  and assigning the older one to read something independently, but I worry about using a different text that doesn't quite match up with SOTW. 

Edited by mohop

Another one here who uses Human Odyssey volumes1-3 along with the Oxford University Press series. We also do some units for the Stanford Reading Like a Historian series (sheg.stanford.edu). For one middle schooler we followed up with a year of American History using the American Odyssey along with some of the Pages in History: a History in Documents books. For another I decided to use the Hakim History of US series instead, with the Pages in History books from the library and the sheg site.

• Like 1

Another one here who uses Human Odyssey volumes1-3 along with the Oxford University Press series. We also do some units for the Stanford Reading Like a Historian series (sheg.stanford.edu). For one middle schooler we followed up with a year of American History using the American Odyssey along with some of the Pages in History: a History in Documents books. For another I decided to use the Hakim History of US series instead, with the Pages in History books from the library and the sheg site.

Did you supplement HO3 at all, and what did you supplement with (or was that the Stanford book you mentioned)?

We did history ala WTM (2nd version!) So basically: 

dds read a section of KHE. They outlined it. They put dates on their timeline. We read additional books on the topics out loud together (just because I like read alouds! ) They read additional history books on their own and wrote a summary for their WTM style history/great books notebook. They filed the paper in the appropriate section.  They found the section of the Geography Coloring book that corresponded with the area they were studying and read the section and colored in the map following directions. The book has so many sections that it is going to last all of the way through high school. We can focus on physical features like mountains and rivers of every area, political maps, historical maps, flags from the counties, etc. so much to do in it. 

For lit we read novels and historical fictions from the time period or set in the time period. I used the lists from the Classical House of Learning Literature a lot. We also used the SOTW AGs from the right time period and sometimes did projects from it and read books from it. 

For two years I had one in logic stage and one in grammar stage still. What I did for those years was read a section or chapter of SOTW (whichever vol.) aloud. Then the logic stage student would do the logic work above while I worked with younger on SOTW narrations and maps. We would do a project every now and then altogether. 

• Like 2

We do the Genevieve Foster books and a literature from the time book as part of morning time. For example, at the moment we're reading The World of Captain John Smith and portions of Spencer's Faire Queen and Perrault's Fairy Tales. My 7th grader does a few paragraph narration from this everyday. She also has individual assigned reading, some Historical Fiction like Henty, some literature from the time like Grimm/Milton, some biographies. Some of those we use in writing assignments.

Oh, she's also finishing off mapping the world with art so has a pretty good sense of world geography. I have done map drills in the past which they like. We do have a kind of time line but we're always forgetting to add to it.

I'm keeping things simple this year.

We did history ala WTM (2nd version!) So basically: 

dds read a section of KHE. They outlined it. They put dates on their timeline. We read additional books on the topics out loud together (just because I like read alouds! ) They read additional history books on their own and wrote a summary for their WTM style history/great books notebook. They filed the paper in the appropriate section.  They found the section of the Geography Coloring book that corresponded with the area they were studying and read the section and colored in the map following directions. The book has so many sections that it is going to last all of the way through high school. We can focus on physical features like mountains and rivers of every area, political maps, historical maps, flags from the counties, etc. so much to do in it. 

For lit we read novels and historical fictions from the time period or set in the time period. I used the lists from the Classical House of Learning Literature a lot. We also used the SOTW AGs from the right time period and sometimes did projects from it and read books from it. 

For two years I had one in logic stage and one in grammar stage still. What I did for those years was read a section or chapter of SOTW (whichever vol.) aloud. Then the logic stage student would do the logic work above while I worked with younger on SOTW narrations and maps. We would do a project every now and then altogether. 

Is the Geography Coloring book you mentioned this one, by Wynn Kapit? Just want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing. :)

We’ve done a variety of things. In general, we’ve gotten away from the 4 year history cycle. 

Oldest 5th Grade- Ancients using History Odyssey. 2nd grade brother was doing SOTW. 

Oldest 6th grade- We did a unit study year so no specific history. 

Oldest 7th grade- Year of world geography/culture with history and literature woven in- whole family did this. Resources were library books, documentaries, etc. No main “spineâ€. 

Oldest 8th grade- Year of Civics using We the People and some online resources. Younger kids were doing Early American History using a combination of the Maestro books, some chapters from SOTW, Hakim’s History of US and library books. Although in all honesty, I feel like it was the year of Hamilton (the musical)...it sparked an interest in history for the boys and they looked up so much on their own to learn more about things they heard about in the songs. 

Oldest 9th grade- Twentieth Century history with an American focus using Great Courses lectures and Gilbert’s A History of the Twentieth Century 

Middle son 5th grade- American history using Hakim’s A History of US and resources mentioned above.

Middle son 6th grade this year...doing Twentieth Century American history using Hakim’s A History of US, daughter is also doing Twentieth Century American History using all the American Girl books from those decades. 

I think next year for the younger two we will go back to Ancients as my daughter kind of missed that. For my daughter we will use SOTW, even thought it’s a little young for a 4th grader. She hates history so my main goal with her is to convince her that it can be interesting and fun. For my middle son I’m not sure yet what we’ll use. I liked History Odyssey ok, but it’s a little dry and he’s a kid that needs it to be interesting. 

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

Did you supplement HO3 at all, and what did you supplement with (or was that the Stanford book you mentioned)?

In thinking more about exactly what we did, HO3 was the book we used the least. That one was used more like a supplement, because for that child, I split up History more or less the division of years for a four year cycle, but the last year focused on American History and less so on world. For American, we spent the full second semester on twentieth century, because that was what my student was most interested in at the time.

So that year covered something like maybe 1500 or 1600- late 1800’s. I know that for that year and the one before, we regularly used the National Geographic History Atlas, mostly online resources for primary documents, and library books when we could find them. I’d have to dig out my plans to see more of what I used; for some reason I don’t recall that year as well.

• Like 1

If I just had a logic age kid with no youngers I would do as ScoutTN does.

Next year I'll have a 5th and a 1st grader and I want/need to keep them together so even though I love the HO books I am doing MOH with both of them (Volumes 1-3 over 2 years skipping some lessons) and a separate geography program (Trail Guide to World History for the 5th grader also spread out over 2 years).

I tried to think of a way to have the 5th grader do MOH with me and the 1st grader and then also read HO and write summaries on her own, but that sounded like it was just too much. And I just don't have time in my day to read 2 different history programs with them, as much as I would like to :( So I figured that a little bit of reading done with a quality output/summary is better than trying to cram it all into her.

I plan on HO for my youngest when she gets to logic stage.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk