Menu

What would you put in a Science box?

I can't find a Science curriculum I think we would actually get done or be excited about. I'm thinking about having a "Science box" which would be giving my son a certain amount of ime to pick out anything from the box to learn about and read on his own. He'll be 6th grade. My thought is that if he gets to choose then it would be more enjoyable and he would learn. This can include magazines, books, experiments etc. What are some ideas I can have already set aside for him to choose from. I'm trying to think outside the box to try to get Science done next year. Any ideas are welcome. 

They are spendy but I would have a spiker box by Backyard Brains to measure neuron firing. It is on my homeschool wish list :)

If you are tech savvy you can have one project building the box yourself with a raspberry pi 3 kit and then the next using it to measure action potentials and plotting graphs. Now that would get done in my house :)

• Like 1

My kids said they would want test tubes and beakers.

Are you trying to study physics? Chemistry? Biology? Or just whatever strikes his fancy.

I’m wanting to have a variety of things so we can cover different areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a science box - but for us it is just where we story all the apparatus some of the things in it incude

the illusion science kit

prisms

magnifying glass

kitchen science kit

test tubes and test tube rack

measuring cylinders and beakers

basic chemistry set

microscope

some of those readers digest/ DK how the  ...... works books

all sorts of other science kits

• Like 2

Some TOPS books and whatever is needed to make those happen (TOPS sells supply kits, too) TOPS site

Usborne Science Encyclopedia

Everything You Need to Know About Science Homework

Eyewitness books

Private Eye and Loupe(s) and sketch pads

Make magazine

Empty baby food jars, jelly jars, etc., lids included, for catching, collecting, mixing, etc.

clean, empty plastic containers with lids that can be used as is or cut up for parts

rubber bands (various sizes), magnets, paper clips, wooden craft sticks, screws, nuts and washers, nails, small hammer, scrap wood, string, wire (regular and coated), balloons, tape (various kinds), small hand mirror(s) pvc pipes and connectors,  plastic tubing,  clothespins, marbles, pool noodles to be cut up, paper cups...  I could go on. ;)   I have some hands-on boys.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1