Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

bettyandbob

Anyone making pancakes tonight?

I'm making Zuppa Toscana soup tonight (it's DH's birthday, and he's not a huge pancake fan), but the kid that doesn't like it will be eating leftover pancakes from Sunday brunch. Sort of counts.

Nice for tomorrow? Perhaps I misunderstand.

Today - Fat Tuesday - eat up all the eggs and sweets.

Tomorrow - Ash Wednesday - a day of fasting.

Do you celebrate tomorrow differently? Or are you not thinking at all about holidays and are just hitting the easy button for dinner tonight? (ETA easy OR breakfast-for-dinner)

Edited by Seasider

No pancakes, but I'm going to make a veggie and cheese omelet for DH. So he's joining you in having breakfast for dinner. :)

I made scrambled eggs, bacon and English muffins for lunch today since I hadn't done my Costco shopping. Kids didn't mind, it was delicious! :)

No, we had breakfast last night: Sausage, eggs, whole wheat drop biscuits, and asparagus. I'm sick, and don't feel like figuring out what to have tonight. That's why we had breakfast last night. Now what am I going to cook? (And no, I don't feel like cooking.)

In my area, it's Fastnacht day.   It's a PA Dutch/German thing, like a donut.  So we are having those for dessert tonight. 

• Like 4

Nice for tomorrow? Perhaps I misunderstand.

Fat Tuesday has always meant pancakes either at home or at church for dinner for my family.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day so I want to make something nice. Not sure what.

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 1

We always do Shrove Tuesday pancakes and we add sausage too!  

edited:  the sausage is a side, we don't add it to the pancakes.

Edited by Mbelle

Fat Tuesday has always meant pancakes either at home or at church for dinner for my family.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day so I want to make something nice. Not sure what.

LOL at myself. Completely forgot about Valentine's Day!

• Like 1

We went to our church's Shrove Tuesday pancake supper. 

We've postponed St. V's until Saturday, as Dh has 4 services to do tomorrow and will be tired. 

• Like 1

Nope.  We had Tuna Casserole because I am burnt out on cooking. and it takes minimal effort to make white sauce, boil pasta. toss the ingredients and bake.  Easy Peasy meal lol 

Shrove Tuesday pancakes here. One of my favorite traditions!

Weird tomorrow with the Ash Wednesday/Valentine's Day confluence. Youngest has older been to a Valentine's party and dh brought home flowers for me tonight so I guess we'll probably call that good and focus on Lent.

We had pancakes (crepes) with lemon and sugar on Saturday night, because I never manage to do it after work on Shrove Tuesday.

These sound so delicious! I want to try making these sometime.

They're really easy to make.

• Like 1

I meant to and then forgot. We had Chinese dumplings/pot-stickers and veggies instead because they were fast. 

I decided that Lent was officially at the wrong time this year so I'm doing everything later, but this would have been a great opportunity!

Is that a thing? Is it only for those from cultures that have a type of Carnival? Growing up Catholic pre and post Vatican II we never had anything special before Ash Wednesday. I also don't remember using the term Shrove Tuesday. It wasn't an important day for us nor was it a Holy Day of Obligation. Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter were the main days of the Lenten (and end of Lent) season.

We heard of Fat Tuesday but only in relation to Mardi Gras. 

Pancake Tuesday is also an Orthodox holiday and as a (former) protestant, I definitely had my pancakes before practicing any kind of food-related lent.

We had pancakes and scrambled eggs for dinner. But this was at the request of DD5, not for any reason in particular. Am I missing a reason for pancakes today?

Another common name for the same day is Mardi Gras = Tuesday before Ash Wednesday and start of Lent. Have little "party" before 6 weeks period of contemplation preparing for Easter. 

• Like 1

I think all the Shrove Tuesday food traditions came from using up food that would not be eaten during Lenten fasting.

I think carnival grew from there in some places.

The principal and teachers at the kids' school served pancakes for breakfast for them yesterday. The school also did their Valentine's Day candy grams yesterday as today is Ash Wednesday. 

I think all the Shrove Tuesday food traditions came from using up food that would not be eaten during Lenten fasting.

I think carnival grew from there in some places.

Yes, because 'Carnival' means 'remove/use up flesh/meat'.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/carnival

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1