Menu

O Instant Pot Gurus, can I...

Matryoshka

Put a roast of some kind (pork, beef) in with veggies, or would the veggies become mushy?

I have a bunch of cut-up and seasoned veggies leftover from that potluck I went to the other night (they came out great!) - but I prepared more than would fit in the baking dish, so I thought I'd roast what's left with a piece of meat, and it made me think that maybe I could use that Instant Pot thing that sits on my counter.  Would that work, or would it still be easier just to pop everything in the oven together?

I know everyone raves about the IP, but I don't boil eggs (yuk) or make much rice or cook up hunks of meat much, which seem to be the things wowing everyone else.  I really need to figure out how to make soups and stews and chilis in it (I know it's easy, but there are so.many.buttons. - I'm still intimidated! - I'm starting to miss my slow-cooker with the one little knob!)

I mostly use the pressure cooking for beans, rice, whole chicken....

Not to hijack the thread but could you share your whole chicken method? I made one the other day and it was totally overcooked. I cooked it under high pressure for 6 minutes/lb and the meat was dried out.  Do you use the "poultry" button?  When I did a google search pretty much everywhere said at least this long per pound. My friends said they just "wing it."  =)  I don't know if it would have helped if I put the metal rack in? The recipe called for browning it first and then pressure cooking, if that helps.

Also do you make beans from dry? If so, could you share how you do that or what website you have found helpful?

I've done it before (beef roast and veggies)  but I did not start them at the same time.

I cooked the roast just over half way (for mine that was 30 minutes) then i added the veggies and cooked another 15 or so minutes until everything was done.

(I did a quick release before adding the veggies).

• Like 1

Lol, I wimped out and did it in the oven. It was really yummy!

I think I need to figure out the bean thing in the IP, though. I go through a lot of canned beans 'cause I'm too lazy to soak, so this could be a solution.

PP who likes mushier beans, do you cook them in something else later (like chili or soup or stew) or are you eating them alone after the IP? I was thinking maybe I should keep them firmer if I'm going to cook them further in other dishes...?

Edited by Matryoshka

Lol, I wimped out and did it in the oven. It was really yummy!

I think I need to figure out the bean thing in the IP, though. I go through a lot of canned beans 'cause I'm too lazy to soak, so this could be a solution.

PP who likes mushier beans, do you cook them in something else later (like chili or soup or stew) or are you eating them alone after the IP? I was thinking maybe I should keep them firmer if I'm going to cook them further in other dishes...?

I cook them to the texture I like. As soon as you add an acid (tomatoes, vinegar, etc) to beans, they don’t really cook any further.

I didn't get in on this in time to help you, but if I had, I would have said to cook the roast completely first, then add the veggies and cook for about 5 more minutes. I cooked carrots last night for 10 minutes, and it was too long.

When I cook potatoes for mashing or salad, I only cook them for 4 minutes.

About the pork roast...sorry to sound really stupid, but I actually don't know what type of pork it is. It comes in a long roll with rope tied around it every few inches...honestly I don't know the names of meats...I make it for dh, but I don't even eat it myself, lol. If anyone knows the roast that's in a four inch wide log and they slice off a lb or two for you at the meat counter, please help. I just ask for pork roast and point to the "log", lol. I know that it comes out good because it's so tender and the broth and veggies are really yummy.

no sorry...that is probably pork loin

the one in the netting is the shoulder

(sorry..not enough coffee yet)

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

That sounds like loon to me. Shoulder or butt roast is shaped more like a ham, kind of pyramid like. I’d slice a loin (or the tiny ones, the tenderloins, that are like two inches wide), but I’d shred a shoulder or butt. I threw frozen diced peaches in with a loin the other day and would serve it with something like roasted broccoli and a salad, but for a butt or shoulder, it would likely be BBQ sauce and made into sandwiches with coleslaw and maybe baked beans.

And I’ve made them in the IP, but I wing it every time. “Let’s see how 40 minutes does. Eh, needs a little more. I’m terrible about keeping notes.â€

Edited by happypamama