Menu

math curriculum for 2nd grade w/instructions written to student?

caedmyn

I'm looking for math for next year for my 7 yo. He generally doesn't care to cooperate with me, but will usually work fine on his own. So...I'm looking for a math curriculum with instructions written to the student (ie on the same page as the math problems) so he can do it without my assistance. (Obviously I will help him if he doesn't understand a concept.) It needs to be something with fairly simple instructions as he's dyslexic and full pages of instructions would lose him. I don't see CLE working because there's too many pages per lesson...2 pgs/day is more what I'm looking for. What else might work?

Math Mammoth!!

Small boxes of instruction, written directly to the student, often with worked examples, followed by practice problems.

Beware, though, that there are far more problems than most students will need to complete.  I always go through ahead of time and mark what problems the student should do.  I also outline the teaching boxes in orange to make them stand out and up the odds that my students will actually read them.

They offer lengthy samples, so it is easy to try before you buy.

Wendy

• Like 3

I think 2 pages of math mammoth is actually equal in workload to one lesson of cle. The reading level in cle is lower; it seems to take the child’s age into account more than math mammoth. I think the cluttered layout of mm might be problematic for a dyslexic working independently. I would be inclined to try mus if you really don’t want to do cle.

• Like 2

I think 2 pages of math mammoth is actually equal in workload to one lesson of cle. The reading level in cle is lower; it seems to take the child’s age into account more than math mammoth. I think the cluttered layout of mm might be problematic for a dyslexic working independently. I would be inclined to try mus if you really don’t want to do cle.

I agree. CLE has much more young child friendly instructions. I think math Mammoth assumes the parent will be teaching the younger grades. The teaching boxes are the same format in all the levels, whether 1st grade or 6th grade. And yeah, MM has the same number of problems as CLE, they're all just squished onto 2 pages. CLE may be 4 pages, but it looks much less overwhelming to kids. If CLE is out, then I second the suggestion for MUS.

I guess I will look at cle again. I can just see him flipping out at the thought of 4 pgs of math and it turning into a daily battle.

We’ve been using Miquon this year which he likes but sometimes it takes a while for him to grasp the concepts so I thought maybe a more straightforward math would be better. Also he won’t ask for help if he doesn’t understand how to dona Miquon page, he just does it and gets them wrong. But then there’s no guarantee he’ll actually choose to read the instructions on anything else.

Video based curriculum doesn’t work here. It just dosn’t get done.

I guess I will look at cle again. I can just see him flipping out at the thought of 4 pgs of math and it turning into a daily battle.

We’ve been using Miquon this year which he likes but sometimes it takes a while for him to grasp the concepts so I thought maybe a more straightforward math would be better. Also he won’t ask for help if he doesn’t understand how to dona Miquon page, he just does it and gets them wrong. But then there’s no guarantee he’ll actually choose to read the instructions on anything else.

Video based curriculum doesn’t work here. It just dosn’t get done.

Not trying to overly sell it, but MUS is one short 10ish min video per week. My son watches it Monday morning (or I watch and do a quick teach) and he is good and independent the rest of the week. It is block based and the blocks would feel familiar if he is used to cuisinare rods. Just saying in case CLE causes a riot and strike ;)

• Like 1

We're using math mammoth and love it. DD is only 5 so we're not doing it independent (yet) but we plan on it next year. MM also has videos for each grade level where she walks through each type of problem in each lesson. They're only about 5 minutes long and their DDs favorite part of MM. Plus it's cheap. I found the download on sale , grades 1-3 for less than $60. 

We also plan on switching to Teaching Textbooks when we're done with MM since it's done completely to the student, but since I have no experience with it, I can't say whether or not it's a good program.