Menu

What's with the ads?

texasmom33

Devastation. My daughter's horse just died.

Dds' horse just died. OMG is was so traumatic. I had to talk so came to post. I just finally stopped doing that ugly cry and am waiting for the vet to call back about what's next. But oh my poor daughter. I am crushed and can't' imagine where she's at. She's 15 and she is so beyond devastated- this was her first horse that she picked, worked with......all that. I'm inside with the little kids (because I don't think they need to see until we've made things a little better)  until my dh gets home and my parents get here. It was very sudden and violent and painful and she's blaming herself because she thought he had a cold this morning and didn't tell me until an hour after she'd done feedings. I went out to check and he was down and I won't go into more detail but it was just horrible. The vets couldn't make it in time and I'm just so sad, but my heart is shattered even more for her. 

Oh no!!! I am so heartbroken for you and your daughter!! My daughter rides and we own three horses (they board at an area barn, so we don't take primary care of them), so I really identify with your post.  I am so very sorry!

I’m so sorry. Lots of grieving in TX today. We put my DD’s dog down this morning. It’s so hard for the kids, even harder when you feel like your responsible somehow. I hope your DD can find some peace.

Stefanie

• Like 1

How awful! Do you have any access to a counsellor for your dd? (Or a help line? Or a semi-counselor like a religious minister?)

Oh that is sooooo sad!  I've had to have cats put down that are in a great deal of pain.  It takes me a long time, but I do finally get to the point where I can remember that their entire lives were good and comfortable and they were loved and knew it.  Yes, they had pain at the end, but that pain is over now.  When it's still fresh, you feel like the animal is still in pain and that's all you can think about.

But your daughter's horse is not in pain now and it was loved and cherished and cared for its whole life.  Those last few awful moments don't negate all of that.  The horse suffered, yes, but it's all over with and the pain happened for only a tiny fraction of its life.  

Try to remember that, though I know it's about impossible when you can only replay the awfulness in your head over and over. It can takes weeks or months to feel like you're moving past the unexpected violent death of a beloved animal.  I actively cried multiple times a day for weeks after my sweet kitty died in horrible pain at less than 2 years old.

I am so, so sorry.  

• Like 7

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  It's horrible and I'm so sorry.  When you can, update with what results you find out.  I'm wondering if the poor horse inhaled something it couldn't dislodge.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I’m so sorry. Lots of grieving in TX today. We put my DD’s dog down this morning. It’s so hard for the kids, even harder when you feel like your responsible somehow. I hope your DD can find some peace.

Stefanie

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  Hugs for you too.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry!

Her grief must be palpable. And yours. Oh dear, I’m all teary with you.

This is hard stuff. No words for how sorry I am for you. Just grieving with you...

Edited by Spryte

I'm so, so sorry.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   I understand.

So sorry to hear that :( . Vets can't always save them either. I hope your daughter can stop blaming herself and just let herself grieve.

• Like 1

Oh goodness, I am so sorry. My heart just goes out to you, your dd, and your poor horse. :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: What an awful heartbreak.

Horses are such fragile creatures and it can all go wrong in the blink of an eye.

Do you know what happened to him?

My horse colicked and died when I was 15 and it was so traumatic that it took me years to get another horse.

I am so sorry. What a horrible thing to face.

I'm sorry. 

My dd lost her favorite horse the year she turned 13. It happens SO fast. We couldn't even get the trailer hooked to the truck before it was too late.

We lost another horse this winter. Thankfully, it looked like the second horse didn't suffer at all.