Menu

What to bring to college

lewelma

I thought I'd mention that the U.S. has media mail for sending bound printed material at significantly cheaper rates than other types of packages.  If there are books that he will want at university but not over the U.S. summer / N.Z. winter, it might be worth bringing those along on this trip and having Grandma ship them at the beginning of the school year.

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2018 at 1:49 PM, Lori D. said:

Ways of securing your personal electronics ...  are something important to consider adding to the list. Check out these past threads:

"Locking trunk?"

"Keeping things in a dorm room" 

Is there a particular trunk or lock box that folks here would recommend?

Size - trunk will need to fit under the bed I suppose.  If too small then easy to swipe. It needs to be conspicuous.

I think the idea of having grandma focus on the wardrobe is a GREAT idea, because clothes are harder to do online. Then maybe the sheets. But I'm going to add to the chorus of "BUY IT THERE" and add "DON'T BUY TOO MUCH." Stuff can always be ordered later and shipped via Amazon Prime as he figures out what he really wants and needs. Definitely check the college rules, because it varies so widely, especially in regard to electric items and hanging items. It is a real pain to deal with excess stuff every year if you do not live within driving distance, so I'd go minimalist if he is at all inclined that way.

3 hours ago, MarkT said:

Is there a particular trunk or lock box that folks here would recommend?

Size - trunk will need to fit under the bed I suppose.  If too small then easy to swipe. It needs to be conspicuous.

As I recall, we went with something very similar to this one in cost / size / materials for a locking trunk. There is another one with a wood interior that looks the same, but is about 3x as expensive -- it would likely be more secure, if not nothing else by virtue of being far heavier, lol. If you go for a locking trunk, I do recommend getting a wheeled one, and/or with handles on both ends, to make it easier on for dorm move in/move out.

Memorial Day weekend often has dorm supply sales, so you might be able to find what you want even cheaper this coming weekend.

• Like 1

I wouldn't advise him to take his math books. He'll be getting textbooks from school, and books are heavy. He can look up any procedures online. 

Check the school to be sure what sorts of cords are allowed. Dd's school doesn't allow ANY extension cords. 

Have him coordinate with his roommate on the larger items. And then make a contract to cover borrowing from each other, lights out agreements, and visitor/overnight visitor agreements. 

Most dorms have ironing boards, or just send stuff out to the dry cleaner if you really need something like more "formal" ironed. 

I wouldn't buy a locking trunk. Unless his room is huge, they are a pain to store. BUT your dorm may have a luggage storage place outside of the room. You really need to check specifics for your dorm. You can tether a small box to the bedframe if necessary, but mostly, have him get used to the idea to lock the door of the room, even when in it.